ankle weights

mrtristan14

I was reading this article about improving your pedal speed and it said to try ankle weights. Has anyone had any experience with this? Do you think it would work?
What about wrist weights too would that help with hand speed?

Just curious what your thought are.

ankle weights will improve your stemina mostlly.
wrist weights will do nothing becaus you play with your wrist and fingers, so it will just sit there. the only way it will help is if you're playing from the sholders, and then - just start with finger and wrist tecnique to go faster.

yes the weights will increase endurance but wont help with speed,as was said on your hands the weights will strengthen your shoulders and to a lesser extent biceps and tri ceps and on your legs it will strengthen your hip flexors. if you want to weight train while drumming use heavier sticks and crank you pedal springs to the max.

heres what i did.. when i was learning double bass... i bought the most worthless piece of pedal i could find and used it till i broke it .. then i tried a dw 7 and 5 000's... they are heavy in theyre feel and then i heard about axis so i bought them... i was able to fly on the axis but a little too much so i am now using and love btw iron cobras... best pedal in my opinion period... but basically what im getting at is get a crappy set of pedals and add as much weight to them as you can and practice practice practice on them till they break,, then go for the model of your choice... it worked far better for me than ankle weights did...

I was reading this article about improving your pedal speed and it said to try ankle weights. Has anyone had any experience with this? Do you think it would work?
What about wrist weights too would that help with hand speed?

Just curious what your thought are.

My first thought is that resistance training (like using weights) is not always conducive to building speed. Guys who go to the gym a lot don't necessarily get any faster, in fact the opposite is very common if the right kind of training regimen isn't followed.

I'd say that rather than try to navigate the complexities of strength-training vs. speed training exercises, that you simplify the matter to applying a regular and disciplined practice regimen for your feet. Put in 6 solid months of at least one hour of daily practice working on your control and speed with your feet -- in the same way you would with your hands -- and see what you get. In the end, to learn to play your instrument, there is no substitute for simply playing your instrument. The more controlled and disciplined you can be about your practice time, the better.

Ankle weights if not used properly, and sometimes properly, can cause damage to the Achilles tendon that may or may not be re-abilitated. Unless you have a spring on your bass drum pedal the size of a 4 x 4 Truck shock absorber there is no need for ankle weights. And the same with wrist weights. Your sticks may weigh an ounce surely you are strong enough to play with this amount of weight. Playing drums often will increase your stamina to the point where you don't need extra weight. There are gimmicks on the market for every type of muscle trainer in the world. Don't waste your money.

Just don't bother. The risk outweighs the reward. You can get the same results without them, you just have to practice

Back