Drums and beer at my first ever band tryout!

lowdowner

Monday night (it seems a *very* long time ago) I had my first ever tryout!

A band (whose drummer is leaving the country) saw my ad on gumtree and asked me to go and have a 'no pressure jam' to see if I could join them.

I've never played drums with a band, with only taking lessons for 18 months and playing alone with tracks on my headphones. They sent me a set list and I chose 8 tracks to learn in the week before. I was really nervous but really wanted the gig. This is really what I started drumming for so it really mattered!

Anyway, they were a great bunch and I completely nailed it! I know i'm not supposed to crow about it but I was really not sure I was ready. As soon as the band started playing I felt really relaxed and just kept a simple groove going. A few fills at the end of songs, sometimes a chorus on ride, you know, the usual 'in the groove' stuff.

I was grinning so widely I thought the top of my head would fall off.

We were jamming in a pub and as the night went on I managed to drink a couple of bottles of beer. What I didn't realise was that after 3 hours of drumming and a few beers, my playing started to get sloppy. Not bad, just loose...

I got the gig, but I wondered if anyone else found that even a small amount of falling down juice made them sloppy - or even out of time?

I now feel like a real drummer - but I'm not going to drink during a gig that's for sure!

I think it's wise to not drink if you feel you were getting sloppy. There are six other days of the week.

Even one beer dulls my edge, but I'm not a drinker guy. I'll have a few after the gig is over, and that's the only time I ever really drink.

Some guys, drinking doesn't affect them while playing. It's all a personal choice.

I think it's good from an awareness POV that you realized, even under the influence, that the alcohol is messing with your motor skills.

That's the reason I don't drink while playing. Alcohol only slows me down and dulls my brain.

Even one beer dulls my edge, but I'm not a drinker guy. I'll have a few after the gig is over, and that's the only time I ever drink.

Some guys, drinking doesn't affect them while playing. It's all a personal choice.

I think it's good from an awareness POV that you realized, even under the influence, that the alcohol is messing with your motor skills.

It was obvious (even to me) that it was becoming more 'jazz' than 'funk' :)

Maybe when i'm as good as Ginger Baker I could have a sherbet or two!

I never ever drink if I'm going to drive, so there's no way I'll drink if I'm about to do something more important!

Many congratulations on getting the gig. Have fun!

Congrats on getting the gig! Fantastic news.

On the beer end of things, I can handle a beer (or two) before or while I play - whiskey's a different story.

What I can't do is candy before or while I play. It makes me feel rushed. I don't really know if I am rushing, but I sure do feel like I am.

I don't drink during gigs.

Sounds like your gig went really well. I love it when there is a standing room only audience and the band is ON.

Maybe when i'm as good as Ginger Baker I could have a sherbet or two!

Is "sherbet" some kind of English slang for hooch? Granny's cough syrup? Booze? Giggle Juice? The good stuff? Holy water? Fire water? Dizzy water? Sauce? Dutch Courage?

Yea, I like a few drinks at a gig. Obviously not at my church gig though, damn Protestants and their grape juice...

My general rule is to stop at 2 before I play. I really like my sauce and I'm not a small guy so I hardly notice the first couple unless I'm on an empty stomach. I have played a few gigs just zozzled, I mean I was down right occiffied, and I would not care to do that again.

I often find that a beer before the first set makes me more relaxed and free.
I am not nervous about playing, but it gets the day job out my head and the vibe happens faster. Last night I had 2 throughout the night. Just nice and no hangover this morning.

First off, congratulations! Second - know yourself when it comes to alcohol.

I can actually play fine after way too many, and I've heard recordings to verify it, but each person should know how it affects them. I would never do an extremely important or difficult gig under the influence, but the usual cover band in a bar is fine.

In any case, alcohol should never be important enough to compromise your reputation.

I'm happy for you, man! Tear it up!

First off, congratulations! Second - know yourself when it comes to alcohol.

I can actually play fine after way too many, and I've heard recordings to verify it, but each person should know how it affects them. I would never do an extremely important or difficult gig under the influence, but the usual cover band in a bar is fine.

In any case, alcohol should never be important enough to compromise your reputation.

I'm happy for you, man! Tear it up!

Well said! I can say, from my personal experience, that two things, in my individual case, are done better "slightly" buzzed (but DEFINITELY not really buzzed): playing musical instruments (I'm a drummer and guitarist) and skiing bumps (or, moguls...I'm a 50 days a year skier). The key is to know your limits. In my case, a few beers -- I'll drink 2-3 Coors Lights during a 4 hour gig, nothing "heavier," and TONS of water-- and it helps to loosen me up, remove inhibition, and alleviate apprehension. Anything more, and things go downhill quickly. But, I know that about myself and plan accordingly.

I find that one, maybe two can loosen me up and get me feeling more confident, which come across fine in the playing. Any more than that, and I start to feel like it affects my ability to think ahead in the song and I notice that fills and what not tend to drag.

Some years back in the late 80's to early 90's, I was in a band that started to turn into professional drinkers. Every rehearsal we were getting gooned. We were so used to it that it didn't phase us. People (who were sober), would even tell us we sounded good, but our singer, did not. Right around that time I realized that it wasn't professional if a band shows up for a gig, already half shot. Since then, I don't touch it at all before or during playing. Whether it's doing studio work, clubs, or thrown-together parties. Afterwards, . . .now that's a different story.

Last edited:
I drink like a fish, but never when I have a gig or at rehearsal. I've found that I simply can't keep accurate time if I've had a beverage or four. I've had folks tell me, "dude, you need to learn to play with a few in you," and I can't do it. When I played bass once upon a time, I could play completely wasted, but as a drummer, there is no way I can have anything in me and play competently...

Great your tryout went well and you got the gig!

I started a discussion on drinking vs playing on another forum a while ago.
Bottom line seemed that, for some, a drink can make them more relaxed and therefore play better but, depending on the person and the amount alcohol they took, it can start to influence their powers of observation. You might think you play better than you actually do.

Back