hands feel unbalanced

Ellx

this problem has been bugging me for a while now, so i figured i'd check if anybody has encountered this or knows how to fix it

i'm a lefty drummer, but my right hand's fingers feel much more in control than my left hand's fingers. I'm pretty sure its not a technique thing, but i've been practicing trying to even my hands up to no real avail and i'm worried it's possibly a more permanant thing to do with my muscles or something.

has anybody had this before?

cheers

Maybe it is just your feeling? Each on my hands feel different when I play.

The only way I would say if your hand is lacking in technique is if it can not play as fast/precise as the other.

i'm a lefty drummer, but my right hand's fingers feel much more in control than my left hand's fingers. I'm pretty sure its not a technique thing, but i've been practicing trying to even my hands up to no real avail and i'm worried it's possibly a more permanant thing to do with my muscles or something.

well..technique is largely about (relaxed) control. it would make sense for one of your hands to be less skilled then the other - my left hand is certainly not as capable or independent as my right. Much of this is from years of reliance on my right hand for certain rhythms/roles on the kit. My left hand certainly also gets achey before my right, especially at fast tempos. Could this explain why you feel like it's a muscular problem, or do you actually feel consistent pain in your hands/fingers?

if you want to try to work towards ambidexterity, as a drummer, I would recommend trying to notice where your left hand falls short, in comparison to your right, and practice, practice, practice. There's some great exercises in "Stick Control" by George Lawrence Stone. don't try to jump right to where you want to be - start at where your comfortable and slowly push that further and further.
and have fun.

hope that helps!

Happens to most of us mate. It makes perfect sense that a right handed person would not be as dexterous with their left hand and vice versa. If you're a lefty, how often do you really require your right hand to be precise?

There are heaps of threads on this very issue....do a search on 'strengthening weaker hand' or the 'weaker side' etc. Whislt you're at it, check out a book by Dom Famularo called.....you guessed it...."The Weaker Side".

You may also want to check out posts by member Casper Paludan (there's many others here too, but on this issue, Casper's name comes straight to mind). He's provided some tips across numerous threads on this very issue...........Happy reading!!

Last edited:
Do you play crossed or open-handed? Is your kit set up righty or lefty? (What foot is on the bass and what is on the hats?)

It probably has to do with you keeping time with the right hand and it's become more dexterous in terms of drumming as a result. I doubt however you could write with your right hand. I'm just guessing though. Need more info.

I had this problem and I solved it in two ways.

1. when you practice rudiments, for every minute you play with both hands, play an aditional 30 seconds only left hand.

2. practice infront of a mirror. my hands felt diffrent until I played and watched myself. then I saw they where moving the same way and the psychological effect worked beautiflly. it doesn't feel like that tnymore.

I had this problem and I solved it in two ways.

2. practice infront of a mirror. my hands felt diffrent until I played and watched myself. then I saw they where moving the same way and the psychological effect worked beautiflly. it doesn't feel like that tnymore.

Nice tip! I may try this. Yeah everyone has a weaker side and it's not out of the ordinary unless you are ambidextrous! The best way to strengthen your weaker side would be to play with your weaker side just don't forget to come back to your strong side too =P

Back