Two rides?

Chromium

Just curious, anyone else use two ride cymbals?

I recently came upon the opportunity to buy a second identical crash/ride to the one I'm currently using for a bargain price, so got it thinking perhaps good to have a spare. However I've now set my kit up with a second ride on the opposite side to my regular ride on the right (I'm a right-handed player). I'm finding this very useful when I want to switch quickly from the hi-hat to the ride quickly. I don't use the bell on this one as I've mounted a splash above it.

Anyone else do anything similar?

I use three but they're all vastly different from each other. I have a dry ride, a medium ride and a thin ride - all 20". They get used for different purposes but can all do everything.

So there's no reason why you shouldn't run with two rides, although I'd say that it's probably a better idea to get rides that are different to each other.

I use only 2 ride cymbals and nothing else.....well besides a hi hat obviously

see sig below

I sometimes use a double ride on some of my kits, but they are never identical.

DSC_0168.jpg

DSC_0386-1.jpg

DSC_0075-1.jpg

Dennis

I tried it for a while and found I was using the left side ride mainly for the bell...a function I can fulfill with a largish crash.

If you reach for L R ride passages, you will be well served.

I have three rides:

20 " with rivets
20" without rivets
22" swish with rivets

GJS

Last edited:
I own several ride cymbals in various sizes. I usually use two. Here is a pic of a kit I used with a fusion rock band. Flat 22" on the left, 22" with bell on the right. Mostly I play a four piece kit and use two rides and hats.

oakthrone.jpg

oak8pm.jpg

I use two rides (sometimes three) and no crash cymbals. The caveat is that all my rides are very crash-able. I also find that for brush playing, having at least one cymbal with rivets is essential. The rivets really help get a crash sound out of a ride when you strike it with a brush.

Of you folks using just two rides...are you playing mostly/only jazz?
Also I am guessing they are crashable, thus not very dry.... or riveted?

I use an AAX Stadium Ride and AAX Metal Crash both as crashes and rides, playing mostly metal. They're both a medium heavy weight, so work well either way. Gene Hoglan is known for playing with two rides, and a fair few metal players put a little bell somewhere on the left for RLRL ride patterns.

I have two favourite rides, a more pingy one (old K Custom) and a more washy/crashy one (K ride). I love them for different reasons and one of these days I'm going to set up both of them at once...

I use two rides very different from each other and both are crashable (I tend to play lighter weight cymbals). However, I also use two crashes.

Of you folks using just two rides...are you playing mostly/only jazz?
Also I am guessing they are crashable, thus not very dry.... or riveted?

Yes, I'm playing Jazz 99.9% of the time. Most of mine are actually on the drier side but that's a relative term. I also only have 2 rides in my collection having rivets. One cymbal in the picture below (Mel Lewis Ride) has 2 rivets. I also have a Bosphorus Master Vintage I added 8 rivets to.

View attachment 51046

Last edited by a moderator:
Two rides, several crashes, splash and a china boy for me. Rides are set at opposite ends of the kit.

I have 4 rides all different, but I only would use 2 at once.
Basically I am mad about cymbals and i think it's always a good decision to buy new ones to try new things with. I have pretty much two full sets of cymbals one Zildjian and one Paiste, I rarely use the Paiste these days but sometimes bring one out for certain recording sessions depending on what sound I am after

Keep buying

The music should really determine the cymbal setup. Since I do mostly theater work, the music has a tendancy to be stylistically all over the place...so I tend to use 2 different ride cymbals with 2 distinctly different sound qualities. I often require a very articulate "main ride" with a clear bell sound. For this sound I have been using a 20" Meinl vintage sand ride. For jazzier sections I use a 22" Byzance extra thin Jazz ride with a pro mark sizzler attachment. I have enjoyed this setup so much that I really find it hard to do without one of these rides no matter what kind of music I'm playing.

2 rides for me; I play a variety of music. My setup is Sabian 20" AAX Stage Ride; 20" AA El Sabor and an 18" El Sabor which I use as a crash/ride. I own a 16" crash as well but I don't think I have ever used it. The surprise was that the AAX is darker than the El Sabor; all 3 have great bells, especially the 2 El Sabor's.

Back