Wedding/Function Band Do's and Don't's

Jonathan Curtis

Silver Member
(I'm sure there're too many apostrophes in the title...)

Hi chaps and chappettes,

I've not posted for ages; been rather busy drumming, teaching, gigging etc. Hope you all had a happy Easter and the like.

Anyway, I'm after some tips on getting my jazz quartet into weddings. I've plenty of experience gigging and recording, but never doing weddings, corporate functions and parties. We have a four-piece jazz band that play swing and latin standards, and are looking seriously into joining the wedding circuit.

So far, we've produced some promotional recordings to show off what we play, have a basic WIP website and Facebook page, and plenty of gigging experience. The plan is to get the recordings and websites polished, hand out our cards at gigs, hit wedding fairs etc. and promote as hard as possible.

Are there any particularly big do's and don't's that we should look out for, any pitfalls, awesome tips, golden rules? We'd be asking a modest fee to start with, something along the lines of £400 for two 45-minute sets, customised for their tastes, and flexible to fit in around them. Is this about right? We don't want to sell ourselves short, at least two of us are professional musicians and need to make a living/cover costs, but also we're not yet competing with the top notch high-collar bands that have been doing it for years.

Anything and everything you have to say on this topic will be read with interest, thanks.

Jonathan

£400 is quite a low fee for a one-off gig (which weddings tend to be, obviously!). I would be considering upping the price to £450 or maybe £500 but I don't know what the circuit is like in your part of the country. It's good work if it's consistent and you have bookings.

I think most of the things that come to mind are quite simple. Don't stand outside smoking in front of the gates, do what the couple ask you to, etc. I don't have any specific wedding experience so take what I say with this in mind but I think you'll do well to just be 'professional' and make sure that you have your financial affairs in order - as a band and individually.

I haven't played a wedding in ages, BUT.. The last cover band I was in did something really smart and ended up with a load of wedding gigs. There is a wedding exhibit/tradeshow type event were I live every year. The guys in the band simply booked a booth in with all the wedding photographers/floraists/dress makers and ended up getting a great response and a ton of gigs. So, if there is such an event near your area... get to it! Good luck!

you really want to be a wedding band? hoo-fah. That, to me, is the worst gig out there.

F

Don't get caught making out with the bridesmaids.

This is SERIOUSLY the best piece of advice... really... not only making out, but hitting on.

It's in many musicians DNA, specially if you start playing bars, clubs, etc... where the whole vibe is different... people are there anda band is sort of the center of attention... on corporate, wedding gigs, you are closer to a prop... PART of the enviroment.

So after your set, just stay in your place... you don't want to share the fate of Nick Nightingale in Eyes Wide shut... hahaha.

Florian.. I share your sentiment... but for a working musician, playing these kinds of events is a way of earning an honest buck... and heck, you even contribute in people enjoying themselves... I used to "look down" on it... but so many talented musicians and good friends of mine work wedding and events and I have come to both understand and respect what they do... it's just work, and like everything in life you can do it or you can do it well!

The main thing wedding bands tend to forget is that they are not the main attraction. A lot of times you are just background music. You might also find that your band might need to tone it down for a wedding crowd. If you're a jazz group, that basically means keep the solos and song choices as accessible as possible, stick to the standards and make sure guys aren't playing Coltrane licks on top of Autumn Leaves, and of course volume will always be a concern.

I've done a ton of weddings, and a lot of times they can be a lot of fun. It's like any other gig, if there is a good crowd with good energy, it's fun to play. Of course, sometimes they can be a drag, and you have to worry about the brides grandmother that is seated right by the speaker, and is complaining the whole time.

The money can be really good, I would charge more if I were you.

Given that your fee usually includes setting up during the day, or if you're playing both reception & evening bash, in the morning, I think £400 is very low indeed. A full function wedding band usually charges upwards of £1,000, but they're established acts. A lot of wedding bookings are by referral. The gig itself is often your showcase, so spending time getting it right from the offset is a good investment. I agree that you need to charge an attractive fee to get into the circuit, but I'd be tempted not to advertise your fee, & offer quotations after you've taken all elements into account. £150 / member is the minimum you should consider IMO.

Having variations on your sets can maximise your earnings, as well as giving you handy options depending on the audience. Obviously, a dance set is essential, but you may also wish to consider a "background" set for playing during the reception/cocktails or similar. Offering a day & evening service will maximise your potential, after all, you're set up for the day, so you might as well play as much as possible :)

Good luck with the project, & post some of those recordings you mentioned in your OP :)

Arrive early, especially if you're the drummer; you need to make sure you get some space.

I do a few out here. We have very few clubs on Kauai so there aren't a lot of paying gigs. Being a tourist destination, there are a ton of weddings and events. Rates for weddings are generally $125-150/hour per musician. Corporate events are more. I just did a party on Hanalei Bay for a guy's 50th birthday. We had a blast. Ate, drank, played under the stars for two hours, and made $300 cash each. My friend played a dive bar on the south shore the same night. Bar full of drunks. The septic system overflowed and stank up the place. He made $75.

I do a few out here. We have very few clubs on Kauai so there aren't a lot of paying gigs. Being a tourist destination, there are a ton of weddings and events. Rates for weddings are generally $125-150/hour per musician. Corporate events are more. I just did a party on Hanalei Bay for a guy's 50th birthday. We had a blast. Ate, drank, played under the stars for two hours, and made $300 cash each. My friend played a dive bar on the south shore the same night. Bar full of drunks. The septic system overflowed and stank up the place. He made $75.

Wow, swings and roundabouts. Not even sure where Kauai is...

The very first thing you need to be sucessful,well in the states anyway,is an VERY deep set list.Turning down reasonable requests from guests,and especially the wedding party/parents is a great way to signal,that your not a "real"wedding band.A sure way to keep the phone from ringing.I've seen bands were everybody has laptops on music stands,with thousands of pieces of music.They don't use them often,but they can save the day,whwn needed.This also says that you guys are pro's in every way,and as we yanks say"you came to kick ass and take names"

I have seen more that a few weddings where,the band MC's the event,and litterally "runs" the reception.A really good wedding band can make or break an event.It also is a way of breaking the monotany of playing the "Tarantella" for the 600th time.

Vocals are important also and a good front man/woman,will help things go smoothly.

Get signed contracts,well in advanceof an event,and collect a deposit at the initial signing.Spell out refund options.Make a set list with the parties,6 months before the event.Full pay at the start of the gig...or no music.Stipulate overtime fees,and extra fees should they request say piano music, during the coctail hour

Wedding band are considered by lots of musicos as the ultimate in boredom,and sterility,while also selling out your craft.Toe me thats BS.You and the band can make money,and while not breaking any serious musical boundries,still have a good time doing it.....and pay the bills at the same time.Cheers

Steve B

I'm sure you know about writing contracts, but that's a big one that newbies miss. Get it in print and make the financially responsible party sign it well before the date. Have the details included in the contract (set up time, when to be done setting up/soundchecking by, cut off time, etc...) I did ONE wedding gig that was a schematic disaster, which involved being told we had to stop setting up because the guests were arriving, the wedding starting/running late and being told "We paid for 3 HOURS of music...you're staying (...even though you've started 2 hours later than we anticipated. ), and then the father of the bride came up to write the check: "It was $500, right?" "WHAT?!?!? $2,000!!! That's outrageous! I'll pay you guys $800 and not a penny more..."

Yep. Get it in print and signed!

I used to be a wedding photographer. 2 bits of advice.

1. Make sure you get paid in advance. Often the money runs out on the big day and you get fobbed off.

2. If there's a family brawl... don't stop playing!

Amen to all of this. I have provided production and backline to a number of high-dollar wedding bands, so allow me to add a few things...

The very first thing you need to be sucessful,well in the states anyway,is an VERY deep set list.Turning down reasonable requests from guests,and especially the wedding party/parents is a great way to signal,that your not a "real"wedding band.A sure way to keep the phone from ringing.I've seen bands were everybody has laptops on music stands,with thousands of pieces of music.They don't use them often,but they can save the day,whwn needed.This also says that you guys are pro's in every way,and as we yanks say"you came to kick ass and take names"

It's becoming quite popular for the entire band to have iPads loaded with the RealB app. I've even seen them download a requested song during break so that they can perform it on the next set.

Vocals are important also and a good front man/woman,will help things go smoothly.

Most bands I deal with bring at least 2 (one male, one female) vocalists, and usually one or two of the other musicians can handle the occasional lead vocal. BTW, seldom do the front vocalists lead the band and/or carry MC duties. Having a non-vocalist handle MC duty frees up the others and helps save their voices.

Get signed contracts,well in advanceof an event,and collect a deposit at the initial signing.Spell out refund options.Make a set list with the parties,6 months before the event.Full pay at the start of the gig...or no music.Stipulate overtime fees,and extra fees should they request say piano music, during the coctail hour.

Absolutely. Every other vendor (you're a vendor, get used to it) gets some if not all of the money up front. The parents and/or party planner don't want to have to worry about it at the time of the event. The band leader will be required to meet with the bride and her parents at some point prior to the event to go over songs they really want to hear, and songs you'd dang well better NOT play. There will be some of both.

They will likely want an instrument set during the cocktail hour. One party planner actually had me set a separate set of instruments in a different location so that the keyboardist, bassist, and sax player could perform jazz classics as a trio out in the entryway.

Wedding band are considered by lots of musicos as the ultimate in boredom,and sterility,while also selling out your craft.Toe me thats BS.You and the band can make money,and while not breaking any serious musical boundries,still have a good time doing it.....and pay the bills at the same time.Cheers

Steve B

There's quite a bit of crossover between studio players and special event players. Neither of them or glamorous, but you can make a decent living at both.

Some other thoughts:

Like any other corporate party, your soundman will not be allowed to be out front. Find one with the skills to deal with this. Also, bring a "manager" or good friend who can interface with the clients while you are one stage playing.

As far as your price: To those who will only be hiring a band once in their lives, money is likely not a concern. They are will to pay whatever you ask so long as you make them feel they have received what they paid for. In fact, a lower price makes it seem as though you think less of yourselves and your talent. Don't be afraid to raise that price. If your price is in the correct range for your region then you will still be rejected about 20% of the time. Don't let that bother you.

Anyone who thinks that being in a wedding band is beneath them has clearly never done a day's work in their life: it beats the shit out of shelving biscuits at the local supermarket. Besides, even the best and most successful musicians had modest beginnings - no one was ever born writing hit singles and playing them to thousands of fans.

If you can say you played a gig on a Saturday night in front of a couple of hundred people who all danced and cheered and you got paid for it, then I say good for you John.

Few comments from a recent "mother of the bride":

We checked out a lot of wedding/function band websites and none were charging less than £600. £800 wasn't unusual.

A lot of websites say they'll take requests, with enough notice. This is useful if the bride has a "first dance" song in mind.

We liked the pics page to show them in their "gig outfits". Matching or themed suits, or at least white shirt and matching waistcoat or something like that. For a wedding, a lot of people will want you to look smart and/or co-ordinated.

We saw quite a few bands and solo musicians at wedding fayres. They all had different pricing structures for different parts of the day eg arrival of the guests for ceremony, drinks after the ceremony, and of course the evening party. First question they all asked is "what time?" and second was "how long?"

IMO the contract is vital with at least part of the money up front and the rest, say, not less than 4 weeks before the event. Everyone else concerned with the wedding will be doing this, so why not the band? Bands can get booked up to 6 months before the day, so there's also always the possibility it'll get cancelled so you'd want a decent sum up front (non refundable as per contract). If a band hadn't asked for money up front I'd have thought they were unbusinesslike and/or inexperienced and/or disorganised - the upfront fee showed a commitment from them in my mind. I agree with the person who said money gets tight towards the end (don't I know it!) so you need to have the the full sum before the last minute panic sets in.

Oh yeah, weddings are awful. Being home before midnight, having a good meal after sound check (it should be in your contract), people show up intent on partying their tales off so if you do an OK job they treat you like rock stars, pays way better than bars, what's not to hate?

Interview your buyers and get a script for the night nailed down with them and/or their wedding planner.
Play standards that work like crazy.
Don't showcase your mind-bending piece of arithmetical wonder.
Price high.
Wear a tux.
Don't drink (too much) on stage.
Do the special dances like Bridal, Mommy dance, Daddy dance, on CD.
Have some ethnic stuff ready, like klezmer, polkas, etc. A couple of each will get you through most gigs.
Get paid before you play, no exceptions.
Hand out cards for referrals. A great place to find new brides is at weddings. We went to ten weddings the year we got married.
Use the bride's & groom's names, as opposed to saying "The bride will now dance with her father". It's the little things that count. Often times we'll humorously rename our band after the buyer, so for instance if the groom is Joe Smith, we'll call ourselves the Joe Smith Studio Orchestra.

Back