Direct Drive or Chain Drive

One of the reasons I've put some distance between my AXIS LONGBOARDS lately is b/c of the bump/rise in the heel plate design.

My skank old PEARL P1000 has a tapered heel plate, and in its own funky way has now led me to playing a single-chain PEARL 902 double... this as my $1000 worth of custom AXIS aluminum sits. All the pedals in my past that have worked for me have had a tapered heel plate design.

CAMCO pretty tapered, IC has a bump, never liked it etc. etc.

I could go to the extreme and check out the DW HEEL-LESS, I might love it.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    23.5 KB · Views: 22,703
  • Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    28.3 KB · Views: 22,654
  • Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    62.6 KB · Views: 22,740
  • Picture 10.png
    Picture 10.png
    77.1 KB · Views: 22,981
  • Picture 9.png
    Picture 9.png
    56.9 KB · Views: 22,596
  • Picture 8.png
    Picture 8.png
    32.8 KB · Views: 22,540
  • Picture 7.png
    Picture 7.png
    43.4 KB · Views: 22,569
  • Picture 6.png
    Picture 6.png
    59.8 KB · Views: 22,670
  • Picture 5.png
    Picture 5.png
    27.2 KB · Views: 22,604
  • Picture 4.png
    Picture 4.png
    66.9 KB · Views: 22,650
Okay guys, can I ask What is the difference between single and double chains? Just the added reassurance that you have two chains connected to the footboard rather than one?

Okay guys, can I ask What is the difference between single and double chains? Just the added reassurance that you have two chains connected to the footboard rather than one?

Look at Les Ismore's post on entry # 18, fifth paragraph, there's you answer RD :)

In what category would you put the original "rock of ages" Ludwig Speed King pedal? It has no chain or strap and it pushes down on the dual internal springs (with ball bearings) instead of pulling up on a spring. I do think the quality can be improved, but its performance is incredible. Plus the heel plate is convertible. I personally believe it is the best for light action but I believe John Bonham used one and if that doesn't say heavy rock, I don't know what does.

Thats the only difference? How come 'cobras only come with double chains, and cost a lot more than say, pearl p902's?

IC is more adjustable than P902

IC Jr is single chain and more comparable to P902

All the best feeling chain drive pedals are single chain IMO w/weight factoring heavily into the feel.

My preference: Double chain for an engine cam, single chain on a bass pedal.

Double chains are used where strength is needed. Chains are wicked strong, you don't need 2 on a bass drum pedal, they're play'n with your head (or really- playing your head/conditioning) marketing pedals that way.

When has anyone ever snapped a single chain on a bass drum pedal????

Attachments

• Picture 4.png
    Picture 4.png
    59.2 KB · Views: 22,298
Thats the only difference? How come 'cobras only come with double chains, and cost a lot more than say, pearl p902's?

IC is more adjustable than P902

IC Jr is single chain and more comparable to P902

All the best feeling chain drive pedals are single chain IMO w/weight factoring heavily into the feel.

My preference: Double chain for an engine cam, single chain on a bass pedal.

Double chains are used where strength is needed. Chains are wicked strong, you don't need 2 on a bass drum pedal, they're play'n with your head (or really- playing your head/conditioning) marketing pedals that way.

Good point. Bikes are single-chained. So really with the correct springs and settings, a P902 could be as fast as say a IC?

'Fast' is the player

'Light' is the pedal

The lighter the pedal, the faster you can go w/o as much resistance and so theoretically for a longer time.

I'm in charge of sound and media at a church and somehow one of the drummers there snapped the chain on the DOUBLE chain DW 5000 pedal we have there.

I am sure there's a thread on this but let's get into it anyway. I have been playing a single chain DW 5000 double for fifteen plus years. It has held up very well but lately it starting to feel sluggish - even with new springs. I jar played the newer double chain drives and have demoed some direct drives. I definitely like the smooth quick feel of directs but as I am not a speed demon or metal player I worry they may ultimately prove one dimensional. I would love to hear from people who have switched either way and what your experience has been with directs and chains. Particularly from those who don't play speed metal. Thanks.

I love my Mapex Raptor DD. I was looking at AXis, but they were really expensive. The Mapex comes with a case as well.

They are way better than the yamaha or gibraltor cheaper direct drives, in my opinion.

It is all about feel. I don't play as fast as say "FRost" from Satyricon but it helps me to have a pedal that FEELS very smooth, no hiccups.

I'm kind of on the fence about this, myself. I was really impressed by the Yamaha 9500D when I checked it out during NAMM. They've come a LONG way and the feel was solid with great attack. Smooth. I realize that so much is personal preference, of course.

The question is now about the direct drive or chain as the model. I only play single-pedal, but use the speed for some things. It's a double chain on the C, but I did like the D a lot.

Has anyone tried both models of this particular pedal? Again, as it is preference, what did you notice as the difference(s)?

Thanks,
d

PS: Yammy's new snare stands are SICK! Love these with the ball-joint, if you haven't checked them out. Retractable feet spikes, too. Just tossing that out there...

Links:
Yamaha Kick Pedals
9500D
9500C

I'm kind of on the fence about this, myself. I was really impressed by the Yamaha 9500D when I checked it out during NAMM. They've come a LONG way and the feel was solid with great attack. Smooth. I realize that so much is personal preference, of course.

The question is now about the direct drive or chain as the model. I only play single-pedal, but use the speed for some things. It's a double chain on the C, but I did like the D a lot.

Has anyone tried both models of this particular pedal? Again, as it is preference, what did you notice as the difference(s)?

Thanks,
d

PS: Yammy's new snare stands are SICK! Love these with the ball-joint, if you haven't checked them out. Retractable feet spikes, too. Just tossing that out there...

Links:
Yamaha Kick Pedals
9500D
9500C

Yea I've owned both the C and D pedals..it really is going to come down to what you like…both pedals are very responsive…I just feel that if speed is your ultimate goal then the direct drive may be the slightly better choice..but you're not gonna go wrong with either…my only complaint with either pedal is that neither one is offered in a longboard version…hence my reason for buying an axis longboard…yea yamaha's new snare stand is really nice!

Thanks - very helpful, indeed!

Ok, so I started this post way back when. About one month ago I picked up a DD Gibraltar double pedal. And after weeks of playing and adjusting it is now on eBay. It is a solid, well built pedal, but the feel just does not compare to my Pearl Eliminator 2000c chain drive. It was definitely fast, but I didn't get the same organic feel I have with a chain. That is just my opinion of course. I will say I am glad I gave it a try. That's my two cents.

Ok, so I started this post way back when. About one month ago I picked up a DD Gibraltar double pedal. And after weeks of playing and adjusting it is now on eBay. It is a solid, well built pedal, but the feel just does not compare to my Pearl Eliminator 2000c chain drive. It was definitely fast, but I didn't get the same organic feel I have with a chain. That is just my opinion of course. I will say I am glad I gave it a try. That's my two cents.

And that kids sums up the nature of the drum gear game. You just gotta try it all, and there's so much crap to try these days.

We're no different than other musicians i.e. guitar players, who need to find the right strings, pick-ups, strap, electronics etc. etc.

The only difference is drum gear is 'way more' expensive and we have sooo much more of it to deal with, its our biggest limiting factor.

I'm in charge of sound and media at a church and somehow one of the drummers there snapped the chain on the DOUBLE chain DW 5000 pedal we have there.

I never snapped a double chain but have broke some single chain and some strap drives over the years. I have since switched to a Dixon double chain drive and have not done any damage to it in over 10 years, but I had also switched to single ply heads on the bass and toms and also switched to 5b sticks instead of double butt ended ones at about the same time and found I dont need to hit as hard to get the attack and tone that I use to have to beat out of them before. Needless to say I dont damage much stuff anymore and only replace sticks and heads as they wear out instead of breaking them.

When I started out (early 70's) the Ludwig Speed King was pretty much the only game in town and band mates would always compliment me on my kick. Fast forward about thirty-five years and I decided to start playing again. I went with the Yamaha Flying Dragon double chain pedal. I liked it and played pretty well with it. (I'm not a speed metal player by any means.) When the Pearl P-3000D Direct Drive came out I was fascinated by all the bells and whistles so I bought it. Long story short, I've spent hours trying to get the thing to feel right. For those not familiar with the Pearl it has every possible adjustment (heavy/light, finesse/power, longboard/shortboard). For the life of me I just can't get the darn thing to feel "right". I know it's a great pedal (not too mention pricey), but I'm beginning to think that it's just not for me. I'm back to the Yamaha. I feel it gives more power to my hits and the rebound feels just right. The Pearl feels so far off that it makes me think that I'm not adjusting it right, that there's some magic setting that I'm just missing. Any thoughts would be welcome.

When I started out (early 70's) the Ludwig Speed King was pretty much the only game in town and band mates would always compliment me on my kick. Fast forward about thirty-five years and I decided to start playing again. I went with the Yamaha Flying Dragon double chain pedal. I liked it and played pretty well with it. (I'm not a speed metal player by any means.) When the Pearl P-3000D Direct Drive came out I was fascinated by all the bells and whistles so I bought it. Long story short, I've spent hours trying to get the thing to feel right. For those not familiar with the Pearl it has every possible adjustment (heavy/light, finesse/power, longboard/shortboard). For the life of me I just can't get the darn thing to feel "right". I know it's a great pedal (not too mention pricey), but I'm beginning to think that it's just not for me. I'm back to the Yamaha. I feel it gives more power to my hits and the rebound feels just right. The Pearl feels so far off that it makes me think that I'm not adjusting it right, that there's some magic setting that I'm just missing. Any thoughts would be welcome.

Go with what works best for you. Pedals are really an individual, personal preference type thing.
It sounds like you gave the Pearl a fair chance by trying a lot of different settings and stuff. The Yamaha is just your 'right fit'.

Back