Drum thrones (stools to those with dirty minds)

intheruff

Ok, when setting up last weekend I discovered my early 80's Tama throne had given in to the ravages of abuse when I wasn't looking. One of the leg braces had crystallized and snapped in half, which made for an interesting balancing act while playing four sets of RnR. So my question to anyone that cares, what in your opinion is the best quality throne for the money. I'm considering one of those shock absorber types with a back rest. I've never used one but they do look comfy. Could that effect 'playability'? Appreciate any response...

I bought a decent tama 1st chair because I needed something less painful on my back. I dont know if pork pie and roc n soc are overkill, or if they really are great.
Personally I would recommend a DW or Tama 1st chair because those guys make the best hardware around.

Rocnsoc mate make killer stools- They are expensive, mine cost around £120 but its so solid, and more than that dead comfortable to play night after night- mine is the round type with blue top, I never bought the backrest as I have never had one and figured I probably would not use it anyways!
This will really last- its built so well!!!

Roc 'n Soc are the BEST! I have the tractor-seat style and I'm a big guy (240 lbs.) - it's very comfortable. I've been thinking about trying out a round one though.

I would never pay above $50 for a seat. I just replaced a Purecussion seat that I have had since 1988. I think I payed around 30 something for it. The parts were stripped.. It served me well all of these years. I replaced it with a basic Tama seat for 40 something. I realize some people have back issues and what not and have to spend a bit more for something big and beefy, back support and so on. I'm lucky to not have any issues so basic and cheap works for me. My son bought himself one of those Tama first chair jobs for $150 and it the thing fell apart... junk! It had to be sent back just after a few months.

I have a Pearl Roadster that has 4 legs on it and it can come with a back rest as well...I too am around 240 (236 lbs) and this stool is wonderful for me.

If you want shock absorbers, Roc-N-Soc makes the motion throne which is about $190. If you want something with the same star shaped base but no hydraulics to it you could go with the lunar throne which is $155. If you are low on space behind your set nitro throne which also cost $155. If you don't want bounciness (and easy adjustabilty) to your throne you could go with the original throne that cost $140. The back rest is $45, I think the back rest will help you play longer and better. All of these thrones are great, pick which ever one you like.

I tried a lot of them before I bought them- my previous ones were cheap ones and lasted no time at all- when I sat on the Rocnsoc...........Man that was like a deep matress and so comfortable....It is the best seat in the house at any gig....maybe that should be a Rocnsoc- slogan?

Thanks all, for your input. I'll look forward to shopping the 'throne' with a ton more information than I had before your contribution. Because of my locallity good equipment outlets are a LONG way off, which might mean I can't try out the best seat in the house before buying it.

I have this throne:

PB74308.jpg

I got it for like $75 on sale. It's amazing and in my opinion this throne is more comfortable than the pork pies and the rocknsock. I tried almost every single throne in the store. The pork pie was cool but it was pretty hard along with the rocknsock. This throne would be a million times better if it had fabric instead of vinyl. Fabric is more comfortable.

Feel free to bash away at my nonsense :)

I have this exact throne, I payed $170 w the backrest new. Great throne, solid, adjustable, w the nitro it feels like u r sitting on air (u wont notice it) I highly recommended. I also use it as my office chair I can sit on it for hours.
I would also suggest Pork pie thrones.
For both u get what u pay for

Attachments

• Roc n soc Stool.jpg
    Roc n soc Stool.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 3,068
I have this exact throne, I payed $170 w the backrest new. Great throne, solid, adjustable, w the nitro it feels like u r sitting on air (u wont notice it) I highly recommended. I also use it as my office chair I can sit on it for hours.

I have the same throne with the 5 legs...super sturdy, smooth, comfortable, everything. The Pork Pie I tried out seemed a little less comfortable--but it depends whether you want a motorcycle-type seat or just rounded.

Incidentally, Pork Pie just came out with the new Gel Throne--looks pretty cool!
http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Pork-Pie-Gel-Throne?sku=581074

Thanks all, for your input. I'll look forward to shopping the 'throne' with a ton more information than I had before your contribution. Because of my locallity good equipment outlets are a LONG way off, which might mean I can't try out the best seat in the house before buying it.

You'll have to wander down here to the city. ;)

I used to have a Roc-n-Soc motion throne. (it was stolen a while back)

Best. Throne. Ever.

I could play 8 hours solid practice, then hop in the van and play a 90 minute set without any sort of problem. It was very heavy, very solidly built.

Here's a couple scenarios where the throne MIGHT break:
"oops I dropped it in the car compactor"
"Oh no, I've placed my throne in front of a column of tanks"
"Did I leave my throne in the blast furnace again?"
"I seem to have forgotten my throne in the bottom of a large body of salt water."

I used to have a Roc-n-Soc motion throne. (it was stolen a while back)

"I seem to have forgotten my throne in the bottom of a large body of salt water."

Dude, it happens when my band plays gigs in the Lost City of Atlantis.

Is this the roc n soc? The logo isn't clear enough to know.

Is this the roc n soc? The logo isn't clear enough to know.

Yep. you can see the circle of Roc-N-Soc's logo on their throne (this picture is the same throne, different angle).
417136.jpg
2071.t.gif

Back