Moving into apartment

Interitus

It is sounding like by this summer I will have to move out from my sister's place(been watching over it while they're out of the country), and into my own place. Unfortunately, I don't have the income for a house of my own, so I'll end up in an apartment or a condo. Which means I will likely have to sell my drum kit, as I've never heard of an apartment or condo where a person has been able to drum on acoustics. And they way they're throwing buildings up around here, I'll probably be able to hear my neighbors cough...
The real kicker about this, is that I just spent $450 on a new crash and ride..

So the decision I get to make, is whether to just store the drum kit until I get a proper house, sell the drums now in advance, or wait until I'm closer to the move-out date. It's likely to be another 2 years before I'm able to afford my own house, so it'd be storing for a looong time. And of course I dont want to be without drums, so I would be picking up a Roland TD9K. An electronic kit is something I've wanted for a long time, and I think for my experience, and amount of time I play, it'd probably be a better choice for me than an acoustic kit I have to keep in tune.
Any thoughts on that?

Second line of questioning, what do you think I'd be able to get for my acoustic kit?

Mapex Q Series, 5pc kit. About a year and half old now, but in very good condition. Just a bit of dust on the shells, otherwise spotless.
Stock resonant heads, clear remo pinstripes on the toms, remo coated powerstroke 3 on the snare. Bass drum has an Evans Emad2, resonant is stock black, with a 4" porthole off to the side. All heads in good condition, slight bit of coating coming off on the snare, but still a few months of average use IMO.
I would include the cymbals I bought with it, ZBTs, hi-hats, crash and crash-ride, along with a mapex throne.
Guys at the store figured about $500-$600. I was originally thinking about $550cdn for it.

Why sell?

You can:

1. Rent a monthly rehearsal space. Either your own, or share one with a band or other drummers.
  2. Rent a rehearsal space by the hour.
  3. Join a band that has a place to rehearse.
  4. Replace the drum head with mesh heads.

If you sell, you will regret it.

The thing is, I dont play enough, or have the dedication to rent a rehearsal space. I only play for 15 minutes to a half hour every couple of days. I hardly ever actually do any rudiments.

And mesh heads would take all the sound out right? Where's the fun in that? That'd be great for practicing rudiments and such, but no fun to try and really play. Besides, I built a mesh-head kit for rockband, and if I just want to practice on something silent I can use that.

As for regretting it, yeah I will likely miss the sound and feel of acoustic drums. But I'll have the advantages of an electronic kit, like never having to tune the pads and if I want a different sound, I can just change the patch.

Sell the drums. keep the cymbals since they seem to increase in price faster than drums, and they are easy to store, and see what happens down the road. good luck.

Sell the drums. keep the cymbals since they seem to increase in price faster than drums, and they are easy to store, and see what happens down the road. good luck.

Words of wisdom.

Storing for a couple of years isn't the worst idea in the world either. When I stopped playing I stored for 8 years. Figuring that I wouldn't play again I finally sold them cheap to clear some space. Six months later I was called up to play. I still hedged, borrowing and hiring kits for over a year before finally buying again. That cost me.

Storing is inconvenient but easily the most economic solution. It depends what the convenience of extra space for two years is worth to you. GD's is the compromise solution.

Back