Is there such a beast?

lsits

Gold Member
I've spent the past two day re-arranging my drum space. My audio hook-up is a hadge-podge of a metronome on my phone, and an mp3 player. Outputs are to a set of headphones, and also to a set of powered PA speakers. Whenever I want to change either the inputs or outputs, I disconnect and re-connect the wires.

Is there an interface that will connect everything and even let me run simultaneous outputs?

Thanks in advance from a technology deprived drummer.

I should think so. I have an option on my bare-bones Yamaha mixer to put a pair of RCA plugs into the 7/8 channel as well as into the Tape In channel. With two dual RCA to 1/8" cables, you could have both inputs available without unplugging. On larger mixers, you could run an 1/8" to 1/4" stereo cable to a stereo 1/4" input, with as many inputs as you have channels that run correctly. Or from a single 1/8" to a dual 1/4" channel, plugging the 1/4" into the left and right inputs of a channel.

I think that maybe this one would do the trick.

https://www.amazon.com/Mackie-8-Cha...1809&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=mackie+mixer&psc=1

I've seen some small mixers with USB connectivity. What would be the advantage of that?

The one you linked to would certainly do the job, and also would serve you well as a personal monitor for in-ears. I advise looking for one with at least four XLR inputs, though; they are more versatile. Eventually you could plug in a kick mic, snare mic, and two overheads and put down serviceable demo recordings.

In less expensive mixers (under $400) USB usually sends a stereo two-track mix out to the computer. Again, great for demos. But for serious recording, you'll want real multi-track processing, and possibly Firewire instead of USB. That's off the deep end of things.

I was where you were about eight years ago in terms of this stuff; getting a small mixer and playing in a church with a full sound engineering setup really taught me a thing about a thing. Welcome to the next installment of the never-ending gear story :)

Thanks for the replies. I guess I'm interested in what works and what doesn't.I have access to a 16-channel (analog) mixer, but that's a little too big for this project.

Back