Which one would you pick?

I prefer to not use woods where the specie is being taxed...

Bubinga is not on endangered lists...but it is on its way.

What I understand is that it is very dense...which you can mimic with other materials.(at least close enough were post production can achieve the rest of the tone quality)

I see you're gonna blow your brains out over this decision. So we must go the brutal way: please post a video of your best playing so we can see if you'd do any of those kits justice. I get wanting top-flight drums but to me the talent level has to be there as well. If it isn't then it doesn't matter, nothing will help you sound better. But if you're a working pro then there are build issues that shouldn't be overlooked.

I see you're gonna blow your brains out over this decision. So we must go the brutal way: please post a video of your best playing so we can see if you'd do any of those kits justice. I get wanting top-flight drums but to me the talent level has to be there as well. If it isn't then it doesn't matter, nothing will help you sound better. But if you're a working pro then there are build issues that shouldn't be overlooked.
I'm not a pro , but i think that i'm pretty good for my age and the time i've been playing (15 years old , playing for 4 years)
The kit i'm gonna buy is gonna serve me from now till who knows when. i'm planning to keep drumming even when i'm grown , just as a hobby.
so i want the kit i buy to be the best choice i can make , i want it to grow old with me haha
My playing level will obviously get better with the years , but right now i know that i'm willing to put that much money on the kit i buy.

I'm not a pro , but i think that i'm pretty good for my age and the time i've been playing (15 years old , playing for 4 years)
The kit i'm gonna buy is gonna serve me from now till who knows when. i'm planning to keep drumming even when i'm grown , just as a hobby.
so i want the kit i buy to be the best choice i can make , i want it to grow old with me haha
My playing level will obviously get better with the years , but right now i know that i'm willing to put that much money on the kit i buy.

I agree with you; why not get better on a good kit rather than a not so good one. Makes sense to me. Having said that the Elite is made in Japan and the others are made in China not to mention they look real fine. I would lean towards the Elite.
Good luck, Have Fun and Good Playing.

I get wanting top-flight drums but to me the talent level has to be there as well.
Oh dear, perhaps I should donate my drums to you then Bo ;)

CB Pro series - here I come :)

I'm going to side with the OP here. If you can afford it, then buying quality as soon as possible is a much cheaper (& less hassle) route compared to multiple upgrade stages along the way. The only downside to that is deciding whether your ears are sufficiently tuned to making a choice you'll have to live with in the long term. That said, a high quality set is much more likely to please, & also be able to adapt to your changing sonic requirements.

My choice would be the Tama :)

Young guy sounds like he's got his head on straight.

What is it that makes the choice so hard? There isnt one you favor?

Just dont limit yourself from playing this or that over time. I might go with a 2 up 2 down setup so you could put it together any way you want later if you decide you dont like death metal and want to move on to country or something.

It also seems to me that setting up a kit should probably start with the size kick you want and then go from there.

After many years of not playing and not having a drum kit, I got a Tama starclassic b/b, 7 piece kit, Zildjian A customs..... the works. Ended up dropping about 8,500.00 bones. My money, my choice, and now I'm glad I did. I think it is great that you want advice, but you will find in the end, it will (and should) be what YOU want. .

Perhaps you don't think like this yet, but there's not many of us here who buy one kit and stay that way. We either buy more and start a nice collection, or like me, I'm moving drums to get other drums. For me, drums are like clothes - after a while I want a new look or a new sound. Ironically, on all the recordings I've made over my lifetime, I've always sounded the same regardless of the set of drums.

I think you should get the kit that will make you want to play everyday.

Andy - you're a different case. Because you guys are working all the time, you need stuff that works (probably why I'm always playing pro-level drums). And I don't know what you're talking about - you sound good doing what you do. So shut up about being a talentless hack. You gotta give yourself credit more. Hell, I'm overestimating myself all the time ;)

The Thing is that my only opinion on each of these sets comes from youtube videos.
the room and place my drums will be in might not give me the same sound i want and i'm afraid to be disappointed if it sounds better in the video than for me...
plus , let's take the BB for example , i saw a video where i loved the sound (MemphisDrumShop , Rodney Holmes playing) and i also liked the one with Stephen Whiteside but there were a couple of videos which i didn't really like the sound of..and it's not because of a bad recording items or such.

and for the guy asking how i got that much money for a drumkit - well i'm not rich but it's the present that my parents are buying me for my birthday, and they said they could put in some extra money to make me happy.

The Thing is that my only opinion on each of these sets comes from youtube videos.
the room and place my drums will be in might not give me the same sound i want and i'm afraid to be disappointed if it sounds better in the video than for me...
plus , let's take the BB for example , i saw a video where i loved the sound (MemphisDrumShop , Rodney Holmes playing) and i also liked the one with Stephen Whiteside but there were a couple of videos which i didn't really like the sound of..and it's not because of a bad recording items or such.

and for the guy asking how i got that much money for a drumkit - well i'm not rich but it's the present that my parents are buying me for my birthday, and they said they could put in some extra money to make me happy.

With proper tuning (and really, with any good set of heads, and both the 100% bubinga and the b/b's come with good heads to begin with) either set will sound awesome. I owned both and made both sound great. You can too. Tama quality-control is really good. Might I suggest going with the B/B's and putting most of your money towards really good cymbals? You can't fix bad cymbals as easily as questionable drums. You didn't say what kind of cymbals you have (if any), and usually nobody budgets for a good set in the beginning. You'd also need a very good throne as you would be the heaviest part of the kit!

Andy - you're a different case. Because you guys are working all the time, you need stuff that works (probably why I'm always playing pro-level drums).
I'm good Bo. I was just pulling your string with my last post ;) I'm off for a few days now - final inspection & testing a kit for a certain young lady :) I'll be back at the end of the week to bug you relentlessly ;) ;) ;)

Those must be for Grea? Test them good - she needs top flight drums to play!

Ha! It will be a buzz to have top notch drums although, as you said before, we usually just sound like ourselves whatever kit we have. I'm not planning on wrapping the Gurus in cotton wool like a museum piece - they'll be going out to practices and gigs like every other kit I've owned.

As for the OP, people say bubingas are good so I expect any of them would work out well.

With proper tuning (and really, with any good set of heads, and both the 100% bubinga and the b/b's come with good heads to begin with) either set will sound awesome. I owned both and made both sound great. You can too. Tama quality-control is really good. Might I suggest going with the B/B's and putting most of your money towards really good cymbals? You can't fix bad cymbals as easily as questionable drums. You didn't say what kind of cymbals you have (if any), and usually nobody budgets for a good set in the beginning. You'd also need a very good throne as you would be the heaviest part of the kit!
The cymbals i'm probbably getting are all zildjian but i might make a few changes:
zildjian a custom 17" crash
hi hat light k 14
ride armand 20
crash constantinopole 18
i'm pretty sure that those cymbals are high quality.
But as i said before , i've seen videos where the bubinga sounds great and videos where it sounds bad , same for the BB , so how can i choose?

The cymbals i'm probbably getting are all zildjian but i might make a few changes:
zildjian a custom 17" crash
hi hat light k 14
ride armand 20
crash constantinopole 18
i'm pretty sure that those cymbals are high quality.
But as i said before , i've seen videos where the bubinga sounds great and videos where it sounds bad , same for the BB , so how can i choose?

I think you should flip a coin then.

BTW - I have YouTube videos of my playing both my Bubinga Elites and my B/B black oysters with simple miking set-ups. Have you seen those? People have told me they sound great. You'd probably be surprised they don't sound that different ;) Search for "Matt Eder" or "Bo Eder" and find my channel on YouTube. They're up there. Warts in my playing and all.

So you actually have money for the cymbals too? That's cool.

Ha! It will be a buzz to have top notch drums although, as you said before, we usually just sound like ourselves whatever kit we have. I'm not planning on wrapping the Gurus in cotton wool like a museum piece - they'll be going out to practices and gigs like every other kit I've owned.

As for the OP, people say bubingas are good so I expect any of them would work out well.

It would be a shame to not use the Gurus to their fullest. That wouldn't be fair to the drums! Post pics when you get them ;)

Back