And the rock drummer with the best fills is ......

J

Jammin' Jamin 2112

Gavin Harrison, no doubt. Yesterday I made a compilation of some of his fills and solo sections in songs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOCdky0A8G4. They sound even better when you hear them in the context of their respective Porcupine Tree songs with the buildup. They're so funky, require so much dexterity, such good time-keeping, and he manages to always hit the toms crisply and right in the center.

If I had to pick one, as there are so many, I would have to say Dave Lombardo, Not only for speed but for taste as well.

haha yea, I needed to play that one fill from War Ensemble (you probably know which one) in slow motion to figure it out.

Gavin Harrison, no doubt. Yesterday I made a compilation of some of his fills and solo sections in songs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOCdky0A8G4. They sound even better when you hear them in the context of their respective Porcupine Tree songs with the buildup. They're so funky, require so much dexterity, such good time-keeping, and he manages to always hit the toms crisply and right in the center.

Share the love, the video's marked as private! Would love to see the compilation..

haha yea, I needed to play that one fill from War Ensemble (you probably know which one) in slow motion to figure it out.
Matt Sorum on the Use Your Illusions maybe? (Yes that's my idea of a joke).
I was stupid enough to attempt a cover of War Ensemble (I'll never get that fill right in a million years)...

Best is tricky but I love what Jean Paul Gaster does.

always absolutely loved the way he opens La Curandera
I usually pull the tune back to the top 5 or 6 times right after that intro every time I listen to it

something about those 3 kicks that he ends with......it's quick and he is not doing anything mindblowing in any way ......but I just love it

Ringo and Neil Peart

Peace and goodwill.

there was a time i thought Danny Carry had the best fills in drumming... now its a close call between Gavin Harrison and Thomas Lang. If i had to choose one it would be Thomas Lang he does stuff with his left hand and foot most people couldent do with there right... Gavin has the best sound and finesse in my book.

Always like to see good drumming and Gavin Harrison is good. But in my opinion too much of the fills depend on an over abundance of double bass. That is not to say his hands aren't fast and he does some great things. But best, nope. This is of course subjective but Peart, Palmer, Van Halen, all play awesome fills without so much reliance on double bass blasts.

always absolutely loved the way he opens La Curandera
I usually pull the tune back to the top 5 or 6 times right after that intro every time I listen to it

something about those 3 kicks that he ends with......it's quick and he is not doing anything mindblowing in any way ......but I just love it

I've always loved that, too. Whole album tickles my rock bone. The other cool intro that leaps to mind is the tom-flams at the start of "50k unstoppable watts". Simple, but so cool sounding.

Sorry... JP literally kicked off my love of drumming way back, so if there's a JP love pile going on in almost any thread, I'll have to jump on top.

I always thought Bruce Gary of The Knack was underrated. Even on a pop song like My Shirona, he has some gems on the album version (unfortunately they were cut out in the well-known single version). The drum fill at the guitar solo outro starting at around 4:00 is just so tasty:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BSNQpcJ-P0

Last edited:
Back