Roland SPD-30 and FS-5U to control loops

paddychan

Hi guys,

Posted this on a few forums now, hope you can help!

Basically I have a Roland SPD-30, used mainly with my acoustic kit for sound effects but I'm looking to do some simple loops which I can start and stop during a live song. I don't really want to have to buy the SPD-sx as well...

My problem is that when I stop the loop, the vibrations from my drums restart the loop, probably going through one of the pads. I've messed with the sensitivity a bit but had no luck.

My question is, can I use the FS-5U pedals to start/stop the loop, and will this stop the loop accidentally triggering? Or anyone with any experience know if there is there a better way?

Cheers

I am not sure about the FSU BUT you can fix the pad problem with two things..
1. change the Threshold to a higher number (the sensitivity wont fix your issue)
2. turn up the Xtalk setting higher

OR alternatively purchase one of the new Roland BT1 pads.. it has no cross talk...

hope that helps...

G

p.s. don't forget Roland have a customer support number.. they will help you.
p.p.s The issue you are having is called Cross Talk.. try searching on it to.

have you updated to the new 2.0 version on the SPD 30. The new update gives you the abilitly to select different levels(I can't remember the exact term since I only played around with it months ago but its in the documentation when you update it.) I had this problem as well before the upgrade and I wound up getting an SX to use live. I create my loops on the SPD 30, and use the SX live. This is a great setup. I love both units. But the 30 stays home. SX goes out gigging. Thats how it works for me.

"My problem is that when I stop the loop, the vibrations from my drums restart the loop, probably going through one of the pads........."

Does the problem happen when you hit any pad that isn't related to a mis-triggered loop?
If the SPD-30 is on a separate stand, can you reposition it to eliminate the problem?
Also, if it is only triggered by external vibrations, even try putting foam pads under the stand legs.
These suggestions are only intended to isolate the influence your acoustic kit is having on the mis-triggered loops.

Last edited:
"My problem is that when I stop the loop, the vibrations from my drums restart the loop, probably going through one of the pads........."

If the SPD-30 is on a separate stand, can you reposition it eliminate the problem. Also, if it is only triggered by external vibrations, try putting foam pads under the stand legs.

Right, update your SPD 30 to the version 2.2(its free on rolands website). This gives you a few new features. I just looked it up... among other features, you are given the ability to set your pads to SENS1, SENS2, SENS3. This is supposedly going to solve your problem. I haven't tried it because I like using the SX and I dont want to mess up my settings on my 30 since Im not taking it out live, plus I have everything perfect right now. lol.

try this and if you could, let us know if this works.

also I forgot to mention. this new update is going to move kits around. And add another 50 kits. So if you have any saved phrases or kits, make a backup.

Last edited:
have you updated to the new 2.0 version on the SPD 30. The new update gives you the abilitly to select different levels(I can't remember the exact term since I only played around with it months ago but its in the documentation when you update it.) I had this problem as well before the upgrade and I wound up getting an SX to use live. I create my loops on the SPD 30, and use the SX live. This is a great setup. I love both units. But the 30 stays home. SX goes out gigging. Thats how it works for me.

Right, update your SPD 30 to the version 2.2(its free on rolands website). This gives you a few new features. I just looked it up... among other features, you are given the ability to set your pads to SENS1, SENS2, SENS3. This is supposedly going to solve your problem. I haven't tried it because I like using the SX and I dont want to mess up my settings on my 30 since Im not taking it out live, plus I have everything perfect right now. lol.

try this and if you could, let us know if this works.

also I forgot to mention. this new update is going to move kits around. And add another 50 kits. So if you have any saved phrases or kits, make a backup.

Thanks for all the responses guys! I already had 2.2 but had no idea what those settings did until last week.
Someone told me about this the other day and it sorted it right out! I think it was set on SENS3 as a default which meant that the slightest vibration set it off.

I've also read that you can now use a footswitch to start stop loops so I shall get one of those in and give it a go.

The SX is the next step for me (after some bt-1s) but only if I feel I'd be able to use it to it's full potential as it is a fair bit of money!

Back