Who builds steambent snares to order?

Jeremy Bender

Platinum Member
I'm interested in a steambent maple shell with reinforcement rings, a slightly rounded bearing edge and 8 lug 5.5x14.
Any ideas other than the used/vintage market?

Jeff at Carolina drums will build you whatever you want. He operates here under the name motleyh. I'm expecting a 14 x 6.5 steambent birdseye maple snare drum with walnut rings in the very near future. Complete custom build.

I third Carolina Drumworks. Exceptional craftsmanship.

Outfitted or raw shell? JTP, Treehouse, Craviotto, Dunnett, SJC, Noble&Cooley, GMS, Gretsch, DW, Pearl.

There was a guy at the ohio drum camp last year from Witt percussion with a bunch of them for sale and seriously good value (way cheaper than anything I've seen anywhere else). I felt a bit sorry for him because his prices were so low and they still weren't selling. He built the kits for the jam nights too and they were great. I wanted to take a snare home but just didn't know how long my cash would last.

I'm interested in a steambent maple shell with reinforcement rings, a slightly rounded bearing edge and 8 lug 5.5x14.
Any ideas other than the used/vintage market?

With a name like that, I feel like you wouldn't have much of a problem with making one yourself

Lol..good point!
Thanks for the manufacturer's suggestions guys, I'll research their offerings.

Not sure if Vaugncraft is still operating. Other option would be Ego. Haven't heard anything about their shells but they do make great lugs.

There are several threads on this site,attesting to the questionable business prectices and build quality of Vaughncraft.........stay away Will Robinson.

I'd like to add Guru makes steam bent shells.Pricy but top shelf.

Steve B

I'd like to add Guru makes steam bent shells.Pricy but top shelf.

Steve B

I was going to mention them as well... depends on your price range, of course, but they're certainly a step above some of the "big names" mentioned here. As far as I know a lot of the places just buy from Vaughncraft, but Ego, Carolina, and Craviotto definitely make their own (iirc).

The reason I didn't mention Guru is that Jeremy asked for snares built to order. I wouldn't say Guru is a completely custom shop. Plus Jeremy is in the US, and so is Carolina Drumworks.

Eric Sooy of Dynamicx ( Black Swamp Percussion) ; Carolina Drumworks and RBH drums would be my first three choices.

Outfitted or raw shell? JTP, Treehouse, Craviotto, Dunnett, SJC, Noble&Cooley, GMS, Gretsch, DW, Pearl.
Relevant to a shell only requirement, as far as I'm aware, only 3 of those companies make and/or supply their own shells.

For a specific / personalised / custom snare build requirement in the USA, just go to Jeff & be done with it :)

I was going to mention them as well... depends on your price range, of course, but they're certainly a step above some of the "big names" mentioned here. As far as I know a lot of the places just buy from Vaughncraft, but Ego, Carolina, and Craviotto definitely make their own (iirc).

I agree about Vaughcraft,at one time,being a top shell maker,builder and drum company.But it seems those days are over.Orders not completed,customers owed money,and requests for refunds,all go unanswered,and Vaughcraft....is in the wind.There are even a few threads here about the company.I believe the FBI,and state attorney general, is now involved.What a shame.

Steve B

Thanks for all the advice guys. I'll look into who can build basically a Radio- King style drum. I like that sound but don't want to deal with any potential hassles that a vintage drum can bring.
Oh and I'd like it to have a silver sparkle finish.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I'll look into who can build basically a Radio- King style drum. I like that sound but don't want to deal with any potential hassles that a vintage drum can bring.
Oh and I'd like it to have a silver sparkle finish.

...you may wish to consider purchasing a maple diamond cast craviotto 14x5.5 snare with bb/45 edges (special edition manufactured exclusively for maxwell's)...steve has them on sale for around $750 (original map of $900)...

Back