If you die tomorrow, what will happen to your kit?

Andy

Honorary Member
I know it's a bit of a morbid subject, I'm attending my mother's funeral tomorrow, so I suppose I'm in that kind of mood. Got me thinking though. To most of us, our kit is precious & very personal, so what happens to your kit after the inevitable? Does it simply get sold off, passed on to a dear friend or sibling, or maybe donated to a worthy music orientated cause.

For me, it's an easy decision. My son plays drums, so the lot will go to him. I know he'd look after it and get great benefit from the significant upgrade. I'm hoping he'd also get some inspiration from the soul in the kit and I'd be happy in the knowledge that I'd keep making music through my son.

This isn't just a question for the mature amongst us. I lost a few drummer pals years ago, & well before their time.

The student I have been posting about recently is in my will and will receive all my drum and percussion equipment.

Check it out, I have over 50 grand worth of high end snares.

I bet you wish I was your teacher eh? ;-)

I think i would like to be cremated and have my ashes put through the air hole on my 10" rack tom, to be used as an urn, and then put somewhere nice. Like at the top stand of SUFC, and over looking the sea.

LOL.

Last edited:
The student I have been posting about recently is in my will and will receive all my drum and percussion equipment.

Check it out, I have over 50 grand worth of high end snares.

I bet you wish I was your teacher eh? ;-)
Make sure you add that info when you go grovelling to his mother to make good. Watch out for cars mounting the sidewalk though!!!

And yes, I do wish I was your student. Not for the snares though, I'm much more interested in your passion & oblique skillset. I tried to get a teacher in this area (in the middle of nowhere) but I'm better than all of them. Now that is very sad indeed.

My condolences are with you, as you know, Andy.

Yes, this question has occasionally been pondered. My sons are young, one is a pretty dang good guitarist and the other a bass player. Both are very musical and quite talented, even if I say so myself. Both seem to have developed a curiosity about the drums lately and have started to traipse over to the kit and mess with it.

Funny thing happened the other day. I was at a party at a studio and the younger one ( the guitarist ) tagged along with me.
It was a party for musicians and as far as I knew I was the only drummer there.

Midway through the festivities I hear some people jamming inside. And its sounding pretty good.
Bass, guitar, keys, drums..

..the drums??!!

whoever was playing was grooving really good. So naturally I'm curious and I go inside the recording and sure enough, its the young 'un with a cheesy grin on his face keeping his end up with the big boys.

So I dont ponder this question much any more. : )

Make sure you add that info when you go grovelling to his mother to make good. Watch out for cars mounting the sidewalk though!!!

And yes, I do wish I was your student. Not for the snares though, I'm much more interested in your passion & oblique skillset. I tried to get a teacher in this area (in the middle of nowhere) but I'm better than all of them. Now that is very sad indeed.

I am thinking of changing my will. All I have is my nephew. But I spent $700.00 on congas for his 21st and he does not know where they are???

Midway through the festivities I hear some people jamming inside. And its sounding pretty good.
Bass, guitar, keys, drums..

..the drums??!!

whoever was playing was grooving really good. So naturally I'm curious and I go inside the recording and sure enough, its the young 'un with a cheesy grin on his face keeping his end up with the big boys.

So I dont ponder this question much any more. : )

Now that is a super cool moment. Delightful!

Andy, commiserations on your mum's passing. Last I heard you were driving insane distances to see her when she was gravely ill. You're a classy human being and I'm sure she appreciated it.

I haven't given a moment's thought to what happens to my kit. No doubt, my family would sell it off.

Wy, I'll have to check your stuff and work out what to put dibs on :) If I fall off the perch before you I should make arrangements to leave my snare to you - it would find no more appreciative owner.

Last edited:
Andy, I too offer commiserations regarding your mother. I lost mine in 1995. I was trying to keep it light but there is no way to do that.

My thoughts are with you.

Interesting that this thread is being answered on Mother's Day here in the U.S.
Handing down an old drum through the family is such a wonderful and personal tribute.
I lost my Mom twenty years ago and I still own the set of Slingerland's she help me buy. Now my son plays them and he's sixteen. I will bequeath them to him along with all of my instruments. Her memory will live on as her Grandson rocks the drums.

I know the feeling. Today is exactly 5 years since my mom passed.

I have two kids and two acoustic kits. The only question is which one gets which kit.

I don't know what would happen to my equipment. I haven't had that talk with my wife yet. I would hope that it would go to my son and daughter, but they're 4 and 2 respectively and haven't really taken to drumming yet.

Sorry to hear about your mom. Hope you're doing okay...

Condolences KIS. Lost my father 8 years ago. Currently, my mom's dying of colon cancer. I think I know the mood "to which you refer". I hope my nephew will inherit most all my swag. We shall see.

I know it's a bit of a morbid subject, I'm attending my mother's funeral tomorrow, so I suppose I'm in that kind of mood. Got me thinking though. To most of us, our kit is precious & very personal, so what happens to your kit after the inevitable? Does it simply get sold off, passed on to a dear friend or sibling, or maybe donated to a worthy music orientated cause.

For me, it's an easy decision. My son plays drums, so the lot will go to him. I know he'd look after it and get great benefit from the significant upgrade. I'm hoping he'd also get some inspiration from the soul in the kit and I'd be happy in the knowledge that I'd keep making music through my son.

This isn't just a question for the mature amongst us. I lost a few drummer pals years ago, & well before their time.

I'm terribly sorry to hear about your mother. I hope you're doing well. I'll be thinking of you.

I don't know what I would happen to my drum stuff after I pass...I suppose my wife would donate a lot of it to church or something...or eBay.

Has that guy posted again? I do not recall seeing him.
Leo is currently completing a total refurb on some shells he managed to acquire. In true Leo style, he's putting a lot of work in and doing it the hard way. I know he has internet access issues, so communication is slow. Here is his last mail to me & some pictures of his work to date.

My dear friend
It has been a while since i don't write you , i must apologize , but i was out of my hands to do it , the place where i work was repairing the wires for the internet so was a long time since i dont have comunication with friends.I would like to know how you are doing and your family.Here is almost the same everyday , but all is ok and my family is ok too.I want to share my things and happiness with you so i have some news ,the band got and audition i Havana with some respected musicians of my country.The purposes was to be considered as a pro, the only diferences here of being pro is that you get paid for what you do , amateurs dont.we have passed the audition and the only musician that the jury praised was me , there was a musician for each one , my jury was one of the most famous drummers and teachers from Cuba , his name is Rui Lopez-Nussa he congratules me and recomend me to keep going and playing , he was amazed because i played with a click and the band sounds very solid.Also i talked of you with him , because he asked me about the double pedal and i say that was a gift from a drummer a big friend of mine.So i hope that everything works now for the band , but we have to consider that metal music is not very acclaimed for the people here and we are considering to play some covers for diferent kind of audience.
Finally i have finished my drums , i have some pics here that i want you to see , it was a really hard work but the result is done , i had pain in my hands for 1 week due to sanding and polishing but now im happy to see my drums.Andy i will never have words to express you and the other members my gratitude , the pedals feels so smoth , is very nice to work wih it , and the cymbals , it amazing how they change the sound of the complete band , thanks again.Here you have some pics and later i will take some more of the full drums with cymbals and all hardware.In the pics you will see my drums keeper , it my cat and in the other you will see my dog ,and there is a pic with my snare , i have put some stickers with the band logo , my girlfriend made the stickers and she designed the logo of the band .I have really enjoyed writing this message.Take care , have love and peace for you and your family.
Hugs
Leo

Attachments

• DSC05690.JPG
    DSC05690.JPG
    82.5 KB · Views: 234
  • DSC05692.JPG
    DSC05692.JPG
    81.6 KB · Views: 236
  • DSC05719.JPG
    DSC05719.JPG
    173.7 KB · Views: 233
  • DSC05721.JPG
    DSC05721.JPG
    193.6 KB · Views: 623
My condolences on your mothers passing,and kudos to you for making the effort to spend as much time as you could with her.I would probably leave my gear with my neice,she plays violin at school and keys at home,and has learned to play some drums from playing a kit I gave my nephew.

Wow, I was just thinking about this very subject. I don't have children so I will leave it to my brother and hope that he will pass it on to his kids to take care of. That's a lot of drums and stuff so finding a spot will be tough on anyone. Hate to see them go to the state or a pawn shop though.

Back