Damage to new Sonor kit because of poor factory packaging

The boxes were stapled and it appears they came from KHS in Tennesee (the retailers label to me was applied over the label from KHS to them), so I'm not sure how that could be the retailers fault. If they are B-Stock there is nothing indicating that on the box or the retailers website.

The lack of response from KHS isn't anything under the retailers control. I'm not sure why they wouldn't respond to the issue of the bass drum, especially after responding quickly to the issue with the 16" tom.

It's been frustrating to try to resolve this, but in my view it still comes down to poor packaging at the factory. The Sonor kit I bought previous to this one, in 2005, was packaged much better and everything arrived in perfect condition. The current packaging appears to be an attempt at cost savings, but with the amount of damage occurring, it seems like false economy to me. On the second shell pack I received, the 16" tom shell was cracked from the 10" tom hitting it in transit. The other ones were dented and scratched. This could have been prevented by wrapping the 10" in bubble wrap or similar and securing it in place. Keep in mind that these two toms were nested inside of the bass drum, so any damage from the carrier, like dropping it on a corner, etc, would have damaged the bass drum shell. Considering how far these kits are shipping, they really should be packaged to withstand the rigors of the journey.

Well, after all that, I hope you really enjoy that kit. It took enough to get it right. My goodness, what a brutal ride they gave you. I would have lost it.

Well, after all that, I hope you really enjoy that kit. It took enough to get it right. My goodness, what a brutal ride they gave you. I would have lost it.

Likewise, I think you've been very calm about this, I would've completely lost it with them and made lots of demands to placate me

The retailer did give me a substantial discount and an additional credit to my account.

Over the past few years I've become accustomed to dealing with poor quality control. I bought a few guitars and other gear and have had to exchange several items because of defects that should have been caught at the factory.

If anyone is interested, here is the final incarnation of the kit:

Attachments

• IMG_7940.jpg
    IMG_7940.jpg
    259.4 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_7951.jpg
    IMG_7951.jpg
    231 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_7946.jpg
    IMG_7946.jpg
    238.3 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_7943.jpg
    IMG_7943.jpg
    313.8 KB · Views: 98
Hi Aspenleaf, congratulations on the Select S kit being completed. How does it tune up and sound recorded? Very nice looking kit.

Thanks Force3005.

It sounds really nice and round, with good attack, beefy low end and resonance. I currently have Evans J1 heads on the tom batters, except for the 18" tom, which has a G1 coated because they don't make a J1 in 18". I think I might try Ambassador White Suede heads the next time I change the heads. The res heads on the toms are Evans Genera Resonant. The kick batter is an Evans EQ3 with an Aquarian single kick pad and it sounds very deep, full and punchy. The 14" x 6.5" snare in the photos is a birch Liberty snare and the side snare is a Sonor Black Mamba 13" x 7" maple snare. The 14" x 6.5" maple snare that came with the kit sounds great with a coated G1. I put an S hoop and Puresound wires on it and it has a great combination of punch, focus and articulation.

In comparing them to the 3003 maple/basswood kit I also have, I'd say they are a bit more round and resonant, maybe slightly less low end but a more pure note when struck. I'm not sure if this has to do with the shells being thinner and the tom sizes being shallower on the new kit or the wood species and lugs with less mass than the 3003. It probably is a combination of all of those. Both kits have that signature Sonor sound.

Back