UE In ear Monitors

beyondbetrayal

Platinum Member
Anyone here ever try the UE5's for drumming?

Looking at getting a pair and just seeing if the price difference from the UE4's would be worth it.

I know the 4's have a flatter sound but I heard the 5's would be a better choice..

Thanks

I have UE5's,11's and 18's. I've never used the 4's so I can't compare the two. I use my 5's for monitoring and tracking ( hobbyist ) and I can tell you they serve my needs well. I don't see a lot of difference between the 4' and 5's other than the 4's have a slightly narrower frequency response and lower impedance. I use UE because they are very close to my house so fittings and repairs are convenient. There are now many options in the custom mold world. If you haven't already, check out Alien Ears, 1964 Ears and JH Audio. Jerry Harvey of JH actually founded UE. These options come at a significantly lower price, and in the case of JH, arguably better sound. Hope this helps.

uggh. so much more research now. so many options... This is stressful without getting to hear them. and not having a ton of extra cash I don't want to buy something and be disappointed.

I'll mostly use them for drumming live and jams. so A good seal is crucial.

All those companies look good haha

I wouldn't get caught up in the minor sound quality difference between the companies discussed. They all install good drivers and unless your using them for audiophile casual listening with a good high end music player than really your biggest concern, as you mentioned, is the seal. I've not purchased any brand other than UE but I can tell you that the precision of the new technology they use to form the molds was pretty evident in my last pair (UE18's). They seal my ear much better than my older units. I have on one occasion had to have a set modified due to a bad seal but it was years ago. Keep in mind that over time you will need to have new molds/monitors made to match your ear canals as age changes them. This is the reason I've stuck with UE as can I drive to their facility and have their technicians do my molds. If this situation was different, and bang for my buck was my main concern, I would most certainly have gone with one of the other companies. Also, some companies offer tutorials and materials to due your own molds. If a really good seal is your main concern I would avoid this and have an audiologist due them. It's relatively cheap and they'll know all the nuances of your ear canal and due your molds accordingly.

All I can offer is my experience. I've been using Westone UM2's since 2004ish. About 2 years ago it was time to replace them and I went with the obvious upgrade UM3's. From double drivers to triple drivers. Sounds like a smart thing to do. Well, the difference that I can perceive is negligible. They both sound great.

But about 5 years ago I made the long-overdue investment in custom ear molds. That single thing is the real difference maker. Comfort and isolation allows those double/triple drivers to do their thing.

Regardless of which brand you choose, budget for custom molds.

I've been using Jerry Harvey JH-16 freq phase CIEMs for years now and they're absolutely wonderful. I chose JH audio over UE because of their dirty business practices and the fact that I wanted to get my CIEMs from the original inventor. UE kicked out Jerry and stole the business from him a few years back, forcing him to restart the business 2 years down the road. Now JH audio is the industry leader in IEMs.

I couldn't be more pleased with my JH-16s as far as quality and fit go. They're crystal clear and offer so much resolution that new instruments will surface out of the mix that you didn't know existed. Stereo placement of the musical elements is quite defined and sharp. You can place exactly where each instrument is positioned. CIEMs really reveal all the work that sound engineers put into the tracks.

While playing I find that the JH-16 offer a very neutral sound attenuation with a slight bias to reduced bass. I've never had ringing ears after playing for hours with them and sometimes find that the attenuation might be too much. That being said, I've never exceeded 50% volume on my iPhone to overcome the volume of my playing. So I gladly welcome the greater attenuation.

As for the number of drivers and focus on bass or neutral response, I have to say that it's down to personal preference. If you're someone who loves bass get the model with more low drivers. If you tend to prefer a more natural and equal curve I would get the model with equal amounts of high, mid and low.

You do not need a model like the JH-16 with 8 drivers per ear. A model with 3-5 per ear is going to be plenty good enough for casual listening and drum practice. Models like the JH-16, JH-13 and Siren series are audiophile/reference grade CIEMs. When playing drums you're not likely going to hear nor benefit from the extra clarity offered by more drivers. It's only when in a quiet room and a good amp is used that you can hear and appreciate the "audiophile" grade CIEMs.

Thanks for the comments guys.

I defiantly want custom molds. 100%

I was looking at UE4 or UE5's Originally
I have now added JH5 or JH7's.

It's really tough to pick. I don't mind some low end.. but I don't want it to be so over the top that these things suck as monitors. When I play live I still prefer clarity and being able to pick things out.

Interesting you didn't notice much between 2 or 3 drivers. I guess at the end of the day with proper isolation some cheap ear buds even sound half decent.

the 16's are well out of my price range lol

Back