Meytal Cohen? She plays, right?

I think you're missing the satirical slant in Bo's post. Tongue planted firmly in cheek. I think he was stating the obvious in that, sexist as it may be, some blokes check her out just for the, um, aesthically pleasing aspect of her appearances more than for her playing. Don't be deflated. You may not know Bo, and with him things are not always as they seem.

American satire doesn't translate well overseas. They simply find it to be sarcastic and condescending.

On the flip side, when I told a Welsh gent that I had just returned from seeing my mother, he asked, "How did you find her?" I had no idea how to respond, and simply said that I used to live there.

American satire doesn't translate well overseas. They simply find it to be sarcastic and condescending.

On the flip side, when I told a Welsh gent that I had just returned from seeing my mother, he asked, "How did you find her?" I had no idea how to respond, and simply said that I used to live there.

Oh I get that. I'm a world traveler and found that my American irreverence is an acquired taste. :)

wow! a very sexist remark. "for the girls, nobody really cares?" that is sad to here coming from a fellow drummer that is supposed to appreciate the hardwork and skill it takes to master this instrument regardless of gender.

Yes it is very frustrating being a woman and when I read comments like this it just deflates me.

As stated perfectly above, you missed the satire/joke in the text.

On the other hand, to see it that way might mean you are on the lookout for sexism; hoping to find it?

Seeing that you are new, and welcome to you, you might want to read around a bit and get the flavor of this place. I have yet to run into one drummer here that I wouldn't want to be a friend with on some level. I read quite a few responses and it's clear that drummers in particular are good people to each other. I've never been to a guitar forum. I hear those are rough.

She's a good player and a fun to watch entertainer.
Any more to say?

Is she overrated? I think yes.

What does that even mean?

Overrated by who? And how?

Here are some other drummers who seem to be "over rated": Ringo Starr, Phil Rudd, Meg White, Lars Ullrich, Charlie Watts.

There are prolly others too. No hopers the lot of them.

wow! a very sexist remark. "for the girls, nobody really cares?" that is sad to here coming from a fellow drummer that is supposed to appreciate the hardwork and skill it takes to master this instrument regardless of gender.

Yes it is very frustrating being a woman and when I read comments like this it just deflates me.

As Joe has stated, things are not how they seem with me. Welcome, by the way. And be glad this isn't a guitarist forum ;)

Meytal Cohen is my favourite drummer!

Personally I think she's an exquisite player. I think what makes her good is not only how poise and effortless she is when playing, but just how precise she is. She nails every song perfectly, note for note down to the smallest detail. I know people don't want to praise a drummer that plays other people's songs but I just don't think there are many you tube drummers that do covers quite as well as her.

I see some comments believing she's fake and her videos to be edited untruly, but in her defence she has started to upload 'drums only' versions as well as live video's playing original music touring with her band. She was also featured on Drumeo/Drum Channel (check out twelve foot ninja, slipknot - eyeless and 46and2) ... so yeah I think its time to believe it now guys.

Nitpicking at her for smiling so much is pretty ridiculous when its so clearly natural for her to do so. She reminds me that drums should be fun!

There maybe one or two videos where she has a visible cleavage unintentionally by wearing a vest but lets remember SHE ACTUALLY IS A WOMAN. There are plenty of videos of her wearing baggy jeans, t.shirts, sweat pants, not giving a damn so no, I don't think she plays on her sexuality or means for it to appear that way.

Her drive and consistency is admirable. I think she's an inspiration to female drummers out there :)

Holy thread necromancy Batman!

I haven't even thought about her in years. She'd pop up in youtube recommendations all the time, or people in the communities I was a part of (Drummerworld, Reddit, the old Musician Forums) would post clips of her, but I just haven't really seen anything of hers cross my path in the past several years. I see I made a post early on in this thread, and I guess I stand by what I said, in that her smile is what sells her, more than her skills or her "appearence", because my smile when I play sells me (and I'm a dude!). People like smiling people.

But yeah, I don't think I've watched a video of her's since I made that post. I thought she either stopped posting on youtube entirely or people got bored of her for some reason or another, I dunno. I should seek her out see what she's doing now.

I haven't even thought about her in years. She'd pop up in youtube recommendations all the time, or people in the communities I was a part of (Drummerworld, Reddit, the old Musician Forums) would post clips of her, but I just haven't really seen anything of hers cross my path in the past several years. I see I made a post early on in this thread, and I guess I stand by what I said, in that her smile is what sells her, more than her skills or her "appearence", because my smile when I play sells me (and I'm a dude!). People like smiling people.

But yeah, I don't think I've watched a video of her's since I made that post. I thought she either stopped posting on youtube entirely or people got bored of her for some reason or another, I dunno. I should seek her out see what she's doing now.
What a coincidence my brother just commented on a drum video-Why don't you ever smile? Well it was practice and I was concentrating but his point well taken. Gene Krupa, Papa Joe Jones, etc happy, lively, smiling drummers. It really does add appeal male or female. Plenty of pretty boy drummers just as attractive as Meytal if you think about it in terms that being "attractive" is a benefit.

You want smiles....

OH, I've got smiles....

(in my best Joker voice...)

I've only watched a few of her videos. I can't tell when videos have been edited a lot , like some of the other people can tell. But I'll tell you this , the few videos I've watched of hers we're very impressive.

I think she's an inspiration to female drummers out there :)

I don't understand this phrase. It's somewhat sexist. Does this mean she's not an inspiration to male drummers? Or is it assuming male drummers wouldn't find her inspiring?

To be even more to the point, shouldn't a person strive to be inspirational to everybody? Not just a particular gender? If people say she's inspirational just to her gender, then what is she doing wrong not to be inspirational to the other gender?

I try to avoid sexism when I can, so I'll always point out well-intentioned statements like this. Don't take it personally. I do like people being inspiring, and when women drummers are "up" with inspiring other women drummers, I think it's cool. But when they go so far as to alienate the male drummers, then I think there's something wrong because we're not supposed to be living in a sexist society.

I don't understand this phrase. It's somewhat sexist. Does this mean she's not an inspiration to male drummers? Or is it assuming male drummers wouldn't find her inspiring?

I think the point of the statement is young girls have a female role model to look up to. If Meytal can do it, so can they. It's not sexist at all, and it doesn't mean that men aren't inspiring. With an instrument that is mostly male dominated, girls who want to drum have fewer women to look up to than boys do men. After all, girls grow up to be women. They should be inspired by and have roll models that are women.

Anyway, so now, with those natural guy instincts, I don't even care if she plays drums anymore. I just want to look at her. She should just go into modeling. I appreciate that she's a musician and working hard like the rest of us in spreading drumming joy around the world, but I think for the girls, nobody really cares. We're more interested in the clothes they're wearing and what they look like.

Now that is completely sexist. "Nobody really cares." Apparently somebody does, or she wouldn't have a huge fanbase and we wouldn't have 9 pages discussing her.

To be even more to the point, shouldn't a person strive to be inspirational to everybody? Not just a particular gender? If people say she's inspirational just to her gender, then what is she doing wrong not to be inspirational to the other gender?

I try to avoid sexism when I can, so I'll always point out well-intentioned statements like this. Don't take it personally. I do like people being inspiring, and when women drummers are "up" with inspiring other women drummers, I think it's cool. But when they go so far as to alienate the male drummers, then I think there's something wrong because we're not supposed to be living in a sexist society.
Maybe I missed something, but I didn't think the quoted post saying Meytal was inpsiring women suggested that she was somehow alienating male drummers. As a young guy getting interested in playing drums, I didn't even think about how drummers were almost all men. It wasn't even on my radar because I fit right in. I'm sure girls notice it, though. And seeing a successful female drummer might make it seem not so weird to them, like it's "okay" to be a girl who plays drums. I assumed that's what the phrase you quoted was referring to.

Maybe I missed something, but I didn't think the quoted post saying Meytal was inpsiring women suggested that she was somehow alienating male drummers. As a young guy getting interested in playing drums, I didn't even think about how drummers were almost all men. It wasn't even on my radar because I fit right in. I'm sure girls notice it, though. And seeing a successful female drummer might make it seem not so weird to them, like it's "okay" to be a girl who plays drums. I assumed that's what the phrase you quoted was referring to.
OK I can go with that. But before Meytal (and the many others we have out there) we've had big female drum stars. Sheila E? Terri Lynn Carrington? Karen Carpenter? Hillary Jones? Evelyn Glennie? Ruth Underwood? It's not countless, but before the internet, we've had females for females to look up to. Just like anything else pre-internet, you had to go do research and find them, and that's what makes it so much more worth it. Youtube is inundated with drummers making videos, I don't get the idea that it's new news that suddenly there are female percussionists for young females to aspire to. So, although you say it isn't sexist, I think it kinda is.

It's like when Morgan Freeman disagrees with a "Black History Month", because just by drawing attention to it, you're making a racist statement. Why shouldn't all months celebrate black history? Or why not just celebrate history? I think just by virtue of using the label, and drawing attention to it, it is exploiting what it is. And if we're so anti-racist, anti-sexist, anti-LGBTQ, anti-religion (or at least we say we are), why are there any labels at all? Society is funny sometimes.

Why can't young female drummers be inspired by Vinnie Colaiuta? Or Omar Hakim? I'm willing to bet there are females out there who are, and like me, they're probably asking why it's such a big deal? If you want to do it, you'll do it regardless if you have any role models, no?

wow dude, shes got an even bigger online presence with tons more on you tube. you should definitely check out the stuff shes doing now!

How is that sexist? Of course shes an inspiration to all, however as a female drummer myself to come across a female drummer that plays purely metal (which is a rarity let me tell you) was inspiring and encouraging as i always felt silly being a girl attempting to play metal as some guys in my local music scene found it odd and were sexist, but watching her gave me the confidence. She's been such a role model. I don't think saying "shes an inspiration to female drummers" is a sexist statement to make whatsoever and it is not aimed to disregard other inspirational male drummers out there.

For the record Vinnie Paul and Chris Adler have also been inspiring to me personally. Hearing Pantera's drums for the first time completely blew my mind and was the absolute thing that got me interested in playing drums. Then to see her play pantera covers was a push for me to do it too!

Last edited:
I think the point of the statement is young girls have a female role model to look up to. If Meytal can do it, so can they. It's not sexist at all, and it doesn't mean that men aren't inspiring. With an instrument that is mostly male dominated, girls who want to drum have fewer women to look up to than boys do men. After all, girls grow up to be women. They should be inspired by and have roll models that are women.

Spot on!

OK I can go with that. But before Meytal (and the many others we have out there) we've had big female drum stars. Sheila E? Terri Lynn Carrington? Karen Carpenter? Hillary Jones? Evelyn Glennie? Ruth Underwood? It's not countless, but before the internet, we've had females for females to look up to. Just like anything else pre-internet, you had to go do research and find them, and that's what makes it so much more worth it. Youtube is inundated with drummers making videos, I don't get the idea that it's new news that suddenly there are female percussionists for young females to aspire to. So, although you say it isn't sexist, I think it kinda is.

It's like when Morgan Freeman disagrees with a "Black History Month", because just by drawing attention to it, you're making a racist statement. Why shouldn't all months celebrate black history? Or why not just celebrate history? I think just by virtue of using the label, and drawing attention to it, it is exploiting what it is. And if we're so anti-racist, anti-sexist, anti-LGBTQ, anti-religion (or at least we say we are), why are there any labels at all? Society is funny sometimes.

Why can't young female drummers be inspired by Vinnie Colaiuta? Or Omar Hakim? I'm willing to bet there are females out there who are, and like me, they're probably asking why it's such a big deal? If you want to do it, you'll do it regardless if you have any role models, no?

Yes there were other drummers before her time, but if i'm completely honest none of them really played metal, besides Roxy Petrucci, I still felt like there was a lack in this field. So discovering the likes of Meytal was inspirational to me for their style of drumming.

I never said I wasn't also inspired by other male drummers.

I think you are taking innocent statements way out of context and have a huge lack of understanding.

Last edited:
Back