Nesting Drums/Nouveau lugs for most compact rig? Help

Dj magic d

My goal is to use the least amount of travel space for packing my kit, while doing a lot of out of town gigs this summer.
My kit set up typically includes a 10/12/16/22 configuration, but on gigs with a smaller stage or limited space, its just 12/16/22. I want to me able to "nest" the drums inside of each other by either
1. modifying an existing kit to allow the 12" to fit inside the 16", which would go into the 22" kick. This would be by cutting the 16" and 22" in half by a custom builder.
2. Buying a Yamaha kit with those sizes and Nouveau lugs, that allow for "quick head changes"....I am assuming that those lugs can just pop off, so I could nest each drum together , and then snap them back together. Anyone that owns a kit like that, please chime in.
3. Buy an already existing nesting kit, or have Precision Drum co build one. This being the most $$ expensive option. The cocktail kits or manu katche type kits just wont cut it on a loud rock gig in a decent size club. Paying custom builders for modifications is usually a costly operation too, so I need input before moving ahead.
4. Has anyone hear cut down and/or installed a nesting feature on their drums before? if so, how was it done and what latches were used?
Ultimately, I really just want the tom/floor tom/kick drum to be together in one case, but not if it means sacrificing the sound quality at a gig, or winds up costing a fortune.
Thanks for the input....

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BpmGso06imc

These would be my first choice if I didn't already own a nesting kit, though I must admit I am still considering purchasing a Whitney nesting kit. The Whitney kit is much less heavy than any other nesting kit I have seen . I love their hardware for the kit too. Very well thought out design.

The picture attached is of my nesting kit made by Tom Wells.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 724
I would get precision to cut your current 16 and 22. If you want the 10 inside the 12, I doubt it would fit .
You'll get the 12,16,22 you are used to and not much of a change in tone.

Seems to me that the joining screws would eventually come loose and begin to rattle. Do you need to tend to these often in one sitting?

Side Kick Drums does a Slinger Nesting Kit which only weighs in at 39 lbs for a four piece 18, 10, 14 and 14" snare all in one 18"x 18" soft case. 8 ply Keller maple shells.

Keep in mind that if you use the Nouveau lugs as a way to quickly stack drums inside each other, you're going to have to re-tune your drums at every show. I don't know about you, but I've played a lot of gigs where that's just not possible/convenient.

I can't speak about the other nesting ideas, but taking the nouveau lugs off is a bad idea. There is an insert that keeps the tension rods from spinning freely.

I used to own a set with those lugs and had no issues, but the 'quick head takeoff' aspect is hype and wasn't actually a benefit.

I can't speak about the other nesting ideas, but taking the nouveau lugs off is a bad idea. There is an insert that keeps the tension rods from spinning freely.

I used to own a set with those lugs and had no issues, but the 'quick head takeoff' aspect is hype and wasn't actually a benefit.

also even with the lugs taken off the Nuveaus still have the posts attached to the shell.

Ludwig Signet lugs may be a better idea for your purpose.

Side Kick Drums resurrected a 4 year old thread because they sell something similar.

It's all good. I love seeing nesting kits and they are an interesting topic. Anyone want to show us their kits?

Back