Bought and Watched Jo Jo Myer Discs...

Bruce M. Thomson

Gold Member
.... and after I recovered from shock I watched again. This was the 2 disc "Secret Weapons for the Modern Drummer" Wonderful demonstrations, not sure at 56 how much this self taught drummer born of the 60's and 70's will be able to master, a bit anyway. I felt so humbled that I almost did not go to my jam session that day, I did and low and behold watching it twice must have had an effect as even though I am talking about simple drumming for your basic Rock and Soul type of music a few things, minor things but a few, clicked in and I felt a slight difference, more relaxed and some better bounce. I think the category for Jo Jo and a few others should be T -Force Elite, that way I could still feel ok when I get told by others that they consider me a good drummer.

Hey Bruce.... I "hear you" on the JoJo discs. I've been working on the exercises therein for almost a year now. A few things I don't care about, so spending time on the things i do. I too have seen improvements, so you and i will just keep it up (as one 54 year old to a 56 year old! ) :>) :>)
JoJo is probably the best technical player out there today IMO. Of course, who knows who else is out there that we just haven't heard of yet. It's the demos on that second disc that are the most challenging to me. Disc one is "in the bag."

Kelly

Cheers.
I shouldn’t feel bad I guess when you consider that it is unlikely that many popular drummers often mentioned on this site are considered good but would probably not master many of those techniques. I know I have good feel but definitely want to step it up a notch or two.
I'm thinking instructional disc's from Purdie would be more in my wheel house but defiantly will be sitting in front of the tube with my practice pad and absorbing some more Jo Jo.

I bought Jojo's dvd's when they first came out.I had no idea who this guy was.WOW !!! I am still learning from them. To me Jojo has changed the face of drumming forever. He has set the bar for all drummers. He has so much feel in his drumming. I love watching him jam, it inspires and motivates me to practice more. Since learning some of the technique's on the dvd's my abillity to say what I want to say and play what I hear in my head is happening. Slowly and with a lot of woodshedding. Did I mention slowly with a lot of woodshedding?:) He has absolutly unlocked some of the secrets for me. Cant wait for his next video. Now, if Nerve would only tour through Phoenix...
Thanks to DrummerWorld, I have learned so much more about my drumming hero through the interviews and videos.

Yeah, PURDIE! :>) I feel like there are just several-hand-finger- technical things that I must do and so, I keep going back to working with JoJo. Things like the so-called "one handed roll", I could care less about. So, i will never bother to learn something like that. Not criticizing it, it's just not important to me.

What's so powerful about Jojo is that with all that technique - when he plays, he plays music and my goodness, how he grooves. He never plays technical stuff just for the sake of it. He really is just great to watch.

Davo

Yeah, PURDIE! :>) I feel like there are just several-hand-finger- technical things that I must do and so, I keep going back to working with JoJo. Things like the so-called "one handed roll", I could care less about. So, i will never bother to learn something like that. Not criticizing it, it's just not important to me.

Well, that’s the thing; I may not get close to playing that technical, but the musicians who I play with and enjoy the same type of music actually prefer it that way. Still as I said there are quite a few items on the DVD that will still improve your playing and perhaps give uncomplicated playing have more finesse. Defiantly ordering up some purdie though. While I'm on it having a musicians heart and complimenting your fellow players goes a long way as well I feel.
Thanks for your comment.

Cheers

Back