snare stand for 12" tom...

v.zarate

Gold Member
A few months ago I exp
erimented using a cheap sp snare stand for my 12" tom. It wasnt a very good stand and I didnt trust my tom on it much. After a hour or two of use, I went back to a regular tom stand. I got some spare cash now from some gear i sold and I want to spend it on a good trust snare stand for my tom....so....

what are u guys using?
what have you guys tested?
Recommend?

I've heard great things about the Pearl S930 and S1030 snare stands. The S930 is pretty heavy duty and you don't have to break the bank to get it!

The S1030 is hands down the most advanced snare stand out there. It is pricey, though. You could get away with any midrange-priced stand (930, Tama Roadpro, Mapex Falcon, etc) and just get Little Booty Shakers or a Gauger Flexframe to keep the drum isolated from the stand.

Pearl S1030 would fit the bill exactly, but as it has been said, it is not cheap. I will say that it is an excellent snare/ tom stand. I have it and the S930 and am happy with both. They are some of the best out there.

Not sure how much they are, but Ludwig has an Atlas Pro snare stand with adjustable basket option. you may want to check that out.

I have the Pearl S-930, and a couple of Yamaha 7-series snare stands, and they all work great with my 8x12 tom. Definitely do not spend alot of money - I think my Pearl stand only cost me $45 new.

Ok cool!

Im gonna take a look in to the pearl ones. Im not gonna spend a ton of money on one but I also dont wanna go cheap and risk my tom lowering while I play and hitting my bass drum like the sp almost did.

I just want to chime in and add the the top line Pearl stands with the suspension built into the 3 rubber grippers are recognized to be among the best to preserve a drums resonance. Another good reason to get the Pearl.

I just want to chime in and add the the top line Pearl stands with the suspension built into the 3 rubber grippers are recognized to be among the best to preserve a drums resonance. Another good reason to get the Pearl.

This is correct - it does. However, I still tend to leave mine loose with my tom just resting on the rubber. I found that if I clamp down on the snare basket, it still kills the natural resonance of the tom. But the rubber is the high quality stuff and allows the drum to breathe if the drum is in contact with it. I've seen other snare stands where the rubber is of a lower quality and even with the tom just sitting on a loose basket, it chokes the resonance off.

This is correct - it does. However, I still tend to leave mine loose with my tom just resting on the rubber. I found that if I clamp down on the snare basket, it still kills the natural resonance of the tom. But the rubber is the high quality stuff and allows the drum to breathe if the drum is in contact with it. I've seen other snare stands where the rubber is of a lower quality and even with the tom just sitting on a loose basket, it chokes the resonance off.

Yeah, gotta make sure the stand has the actual rubber/soft-feeling stuff. I know my Tama Roadpro had these super-hard tips, which is why I recommended getting Little Booty Shakers.

Yes! I noticed this too bo. Tight kills off the resonance and a bit looses brings it back

Booty shakers for a snare stand.... Interesting !
I guess I don't play hard enough to need those..........

(I did a search for "booty shakers". And now I feel so ashamed.)

Those booty shakers look pretty rad, oddly named as they may be. I wonder if those are more/less/equally effective as the stands with the space between the rubber. Does anyone have any experience/ speculation on that?

I have been thinking about this lately because I am switching my 9000 series stands to 6000 series so mounting the tom is no longer an option really.

I noticed a big diff when I put my tom (also 12 inch) on my Sound Percussion stand that I'm using for my snare right now compared to mounting it on the clamp. WAAAYY more resonant mounting on the clamp!

Now it looks like I can have the resonance and still use a snare stand with either of these options, just wondering which sounds better cuz we all know which one to pick cost-wise!

Those booty shakers look pretty rad, oddly named as they may be. I wonder if those are more/less/equally effective as the stands with the space between the rubber. Does anyone have any experience/ speculation on that?

I have been thinking about this lately because I am switching my 9000 series stands to 6000 series so mounting the tom is no longer an option really.

I noticed a big diff when I put my tom (also 12 inch) on my Sound Percussion stand that I'm using for my snare right now compared to mounting it on the clamp. WAAAYY more resonant mounting on the clamp!

Now it looks like I can have the resonance and still use a snare stand with either of these options, just wondering which sounds better cuz we all know which one to pick cost-wise!

I know what you mean. I also have a sound percussion snare stand and it kills the resonance. I never got a chance at buying the booty shakers. Im gonna wrap some foam around the the holders on the snare basket. Ill report back when I do it or.... do it urself and report back here.

Back