Vinnie Colaiuta

Re: Vinnie Colauita

I tried desperately to get tickets to see Herbie Hancock with Vinnie on drums in London. I failed and the show has passed. Did anyone go to this or the previous shows? I know someone mentioned that they were going but they haven't said anything since.

I must know what it was like!

I am GUTTED that I didn't go. GUTTED!

I feel your pain, I missed it as well. All i've seen is a review in the Daily Telegraph, the reviewer seemed to be under the impression that Vinnie was in his twenties....

All i've seen is a review in the Daily Telegraph

Ahh now I get our disagreement: you hug young thugs rather than fighting with them!

Sorry Jones, jus' teasing :) I'm a Telegraph reader myself.

I phoned up everyday to see if there were any cancellations for the Herbie concert but I too was disappointed.

I feel your pain, I missed it as well. All i've seen is a review in the Daily Telegraph, the reviewer seemed to be under the impression that Vinnie was in his twenties....

Ah, interesting. What did this article say? Trust the Telegraph to get Vinnie's age wrong. Bloody tories (no offence to you or Womble, haha).

I'd be interested to see how many "serious, advanced students" would actually understand him. At least understand him to the point of being able to apply what he was telling them to the set.

I guess maybe he need to set some requirements for the students, if he really want to do master classes. Actually I heard that his teacher Alan Dawson had a small test (rudiments, singing aloud some standard songs, etc) to take his private lesson, because Alan was teaching advanced students only. For beginners or basic level students, he introduced another drummer who was his students.
Even so, not all students will be able to understand all Vinnie says. But it's quite normal, because we can see this situation in every level of lesson, from very basic to highly advanced. Or even in a classroom of a high school. No teacher can let all students fully understand what he/she teaches...teachers gotta try to do it, but the reality is that only some students who are more talented will be able to go forward.

Last week I went to Herbie Hancock concert in Tokyo and Vinnie was playing there. The band played songs from Herbie's latest album and also a couple of classics such as Chameleon, Watermelon Man and Cantaloupe Island. VINNIE PLAYED HIS ASS OFF!!!!!!!
He was playing with a big smile, with beautiful & powerful sound, tight & deep grooooooooove, and his soul! When he hit a note, it wasn't just a note...I could feel his soul and emotion there.
I guess he was very happy to play songs which were originally played by his "big brothers" in Alan Dawson family.

Great music, with or without Vinnie. Why don't we get music like this on UK TV channels?

Agree it's great music with or without Vinnie. We don't get enough of this in the States either. I think I'll have to move to the Pacific Rim. :)

Steve

Well first off sorry about my language in my last post, I shouldn't have done that. Sorry. Basically I didn't like what he had to say. From what he said about hating people asking him how he came up with this, and how do you do that. Calling most drummers today "lazy and non-musical" and that all anyone wants to see or hear is "razzle-dazzle". Yet he talks about himself as having an outlook on drumming that is "very visceral and conceptual and wide". I though he came across as narrow minded and self absorbed. Yes a lot of music today is the same ol' rehash of something that happened 20-30 years ago and is sterile as all hell, but if you don't like it then don't listen to the radio. I don't. I happen to think that there are a lot of crazy talented "musical drummers" out there that make me work harder and harder to be the best that I can. Some of them have forums on this website and they are more than happy to help you with questions about certain concepts and you never get a response like "figure it out for yourself" or "your going to get what you get out of it". For someone who is considered an "innovator" who is complaining about the state of drumming today he isn't doing very much to change the problems he sees other than to complain about it. Doesn't sound very innovative or original to me.

Well first off sorry about my language in my last post, I shouldn't have done that. Sorry. Basically I didn't like what he had to say. From what he said about hating people asking him how he came up with this, and how do you do that. Calling most drummers today "lazy and non-musical" and that all anyone whats to see or hear is "razzle-dazzle". Yet he talks about himself as having an outlook on drumming that is "very visceral and conceptual and wide". I though he came across as narrow minded and self absorbed.

Well, if almost any other drummer had said that, i'd agree, but Vinnie.... The fact that many other drummers and musicians place him on a pedestal, and that he's clearly a very intelligent person anyway I think sometimes contributes to an, at times, aloof image. That said, many major players have the problem of not being able to analyse the chops they come up with, that's the beauty of their improvisational ability.

Anways, I won't be treated to that MD issue over here for a couple of months at least, so i wait in great anticipation.

From what he said about hating people asking him how he came up with this, and how do you do that. Calling most drummers today "lazy and non-musical" and that all anyone wants to see or hear is "razzle-dazzle". Yet he talks about himself as having an outlook on drumming that is "very visceral and conceptual and wide".

Sounds like a totally accurate appraisal of the current drum scene. Well said Vinnie.

Drumming scene or music scene? Music these days is Pro-tooled to death. The drums probably being the most affected by the digital era. In my opinion it all comes down to what you listen to. And it really isn't any different than it has been for the last 20-40 years. Every era has only had a handfull of really special players. I kinda prefer it that way because those guy get to really shine. And it has been awhile since Vinnie did anything really special. I did however agree with what Vinnie said about drumming becoming a sport and guys walking around with their Drum-o-meter. What the hell is that? WFD??? Who cares.....well obviously someone, but you centainly don't have to pay attention to it.

Back