Coating wearing off cuz of brushes

Blankso

Is it a bad thing? Does it affect the sound when playing with sticks or does it only affect the sound of the brushes?

i think it'd make the drum minutely more resonant ( not noticeable ) on drum sticks .. and make the brushes sound less defined .. but .. i don't play brushes all that often so take my theory with a grain of salt

Coating certainly wears down with brushes due to the constant friction (imagine sanding down the head- that's what you're essentially doing over time). It will have an effect on sound as you slowly remove the coating. Check out the coating on Evans heads. If you'd like to check out something different, look into the J1 etched heads. These hold up really well against brushes (as do our standard white coated heads).

I play a lot with brushes. The etched head will not wear down, but they are reputed to be more resonant than the Evans coated head with a sound control ring underneath that I prefer. I like a dry, crisp sound, your preference may differ. One suggestion is to try different brushes. Wire brushes seam to wear the coating off faster than nylon brushes for example. I use Regal brushes but it might be worth trying different brands of brushes too.

Bill

Back