Premier 60s mahogany Duroplastic

Bror

Hi!

just got these drums. anyone can age them? its Mahogany Duroplastic from the 60s. cant find that much info on them. wanna know year and model. can i find a serial somewhere? what wood? is it mahogany or birch?

I have them in my studio and they sound totally fantastic!

these are 20, 12, 16 with the original 5/14 snare

Im not a drummer so.. I would love to have any info one them. tell me!!

what is the price? Im in Europe...

Attachments

• vend188817_630x630.jpg
    vend188817_630x630.jpg
    267 KB · Views: 3,066
  • vend188817_630x630,1.jpg
    vend188817_630x630,1.jpg
    237.1 KB · Views: 2,646
I think those shells were mostly 3 ply birch with beech re rings,from the color of the wood in the Bass Drum I would think Birch,Mahog would be much darker,the two premier 60's kits I have played and changed heads on were really good quality.They look 60's era to me,but I am not a Premier expert.

By the way Ringo Starr of the Beatles played a kit of that vintage and same finish.

Sometime in the early 60's Premier drums diameters were metric,they went to standard diameters later,you can still get metric heads,but they are a little more expensive.

Congrats,those have have a great vibe,nice kit for sure.

wow have never seen those. nice looking Premiers, real vintage vibe. congrats on your find.

Go to the Pearldrummersforum.com and look up UKTubThumper. He has several of these kits and will likely be able to give you some good history and pricing insight.

FYI - a little known drummer from Liverpool played one of these in some skiffle bands around town in the early 60's. He also played it on the Beatles first album. You may have heard of him, his name is Ringo Starr. :)

I would love to have one of these kits in this finish.

Congrats on picking it up.

The bass drum is certainly birch. Mahogany is much darker, basically brown. I have a similar set in red sparkle, which is birch. I also played a similar mahogany kit many times, the woods are really easy to notice, they are totally different color. That kit seems to be from the sixties. If I remember right those floor tom leg mounts were used from the late fifties to late sixties. The lugs are from the same era also. Those are some nice drums, you should keep them. Also Mitch Mitchell and Keith Moon used similar sets... Those seem to be metric size, which doesn't really matter, Remo still makes those heads. They aren't available in allmost any shop, but any shop selling Remo will be able to order them.

Rootbeer swirl? Or whatever root beer is called in England? Those are nice. You have the matching snare? Show us :)

Hi!

just got these drums. anyone can age them? its Mahogany Duroplastic from the 60s. cant find that much info on them. wanna know year and model. can i find a serial somewhere? what wood? is it mahogany or birch?

I have them in my studio and they sound totally fantastic!

these are 20, 12, 16 with the original 5/14 snare

Im not a drummer so.. I would love to have any info one them. tell me!!

what is the price? Im in Europe...

On the top of your bass drum are two "things........one looks like a tom mounting hole, but what is the other?

Back