bass drum position

Mastershake16

Just a question a set i thought id try if i ever got a double bass pedal,

put the bass drum tilted and to the right then play the bass with the slave pedal, giving u more room in front, has anyone tried this?

It's been done before. Various drummers such as Thomas Lang, Dave Weckl and Stanton Moore have used "satellite" bass drums in their kits. It's also a great solution for very small drummers (kids) who find it very hard to reach for the rack toms.

First time I saw it done was 1992, Greg D'Angelo, drummer for White Lion.

dave weckl uses a satellite mini kick as well. i would use a 22 or 24, if i got a 16 or 18, respectively...

edit: small kick as main, big boom as satellite...

Interesting idea... not new but new to me, nonetheless. I d like to research this. I m intrigued. Sounds like a space-saving answer ,Pics, anyone?

Here you go.. check out the drums. I don't like the look at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87BQQNg0JSA

Y'know, for tom positions it's pretty cool, but wastes floor space... when one's playing big rooms such as they were then, why not? heh!

The MD article I referred to earlier was suggesting righty drummers using a lefty double pedal to put the BD either directly in front, or over on the opposite side with a legless hihat (like a double bass kit's left BD), so as to not have to raise & angle the toms so much. I'm still intrigued by that idea.

Yeah man, satellite bass drums. Everyone's doin' it these days. Here's my kit, i've got 12 satellite bass drums (actually quite a few are just toms):

TerryBozziosDrums300.jpg

J/K it's terry bozzio's =)

Back