DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Playing

Your Playing Show us Your Playing

Old 02-13-2019, 09:51 PM

Default Covered "Rosanna" by Toto. Would love your thoughts :)

Here's my humble attempt at "Rosanna" by Toto. Would love your thoughts :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YzcbjFkldE
Old 03-07-2019, 01:10 AM

Default Re: Covered "Rosanna" by Toto. Would love your thoughts :)

Hey guys!

I recorded another take of this because my ghost notes weren't audible in my previous take, and I wanted to make my hi-hat playing a little less choppy.

Wanted your thoughts on my new take!! Thanks :)

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxgpSYogpUg
Old 03-07-2019, 02:02 AM
Platinum Member

I liked the first one better-the ghost notes need to be ghosty. I love watching Jeff Porcaro explain the groove. Course he does it like half the tempo of the song LOL. The Bo Diddly bass, fast half-time on hh (get the snake going), and solid snare carries the song better. It sounds like you are rushing a bit trying to push the ghost notes in second. You had the solid groove better on the first one. You had some drags I don't remember in the song but I liked them. Not being critical sounding great -it isn't easy getting a natural feel to that song without it sounding rushed (he plays it insanely fast).
Old 03-07-2019, 02:30 AM
Silver Member

The problem with a song like this, is not immediately the notes that need to be played..

Like, the strictly technical part is maybe not that difficult and you got that allready for like 70%..

The problem is more to get the song sound nice and smooth..

In order to achieve that, my advice would be to first simplify the drum part a little..

Skip the shuffle pattern on the hihat and skip all the ghostnotes..Then play only quarter notes on the hihat, snare on 2 and 4 and try to get the bass drum part right..Once you get the song to sound smooth and swinging like this, start playing 8th notes on the hihat and play again, untill you get the song to sound smooth and swinging like that..Still no ghostnotes, only 8th notes on the hihat, snare on 2 and 4 and the correct bass drum pattern..

Once that all is right, go to a much slower tempo, like 50 BPM, and start adding the shuffle pattern on the hihat..Focus on getting that shuffle pattern smooth..And then, the final step is to start adding the ghostnotes..

Then just keep playing that pattern (like the intro) at 50 BPM untill you have that perfect..And from there each time 2 BPM more, untill you reach the tempo of the song..

Also learning more about shuffles in general will help you ofcourse a lot, but when speaking only about this song, i think is better to first simplify the drum part instead of immediately trying to play all the notes..

And, like GetAgrippa mentioned, once you start working on the shuffle pattern, you can also look this one for maybe a better understanding..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMI81yIlT0Q

I wish you luck and have a nice time..!
Old 03-07-2019, 02:51 AM

I thought it was really good! You really stepped it up on the hats in the second video. Perhaps tighten your left hand a bit, the ghost notes were dragging a little bit. But this is a very, very difficult song to play, and you did Porcaro justice! I personally like the fact that the ghost notes are a little more audible in the second, but not overpowering. I had to shed on that bell part for a while! The fills in your pre-chorus are excellent as well!

oldskoolsoul gave some good suggestions for refining your groove, if you want to take your shuffles to the next level, but I personally think it's fine the way it is if you just want to cover this song at a gig or whatever. Obviously if you were applying to be a drum set performance major at Berklee, then you would need to clean this up a bit. But overall, really great job!
Old 03-07-2019, 03:38 AM
Platinum Member

For these types of hi hat patterns I'd perhaps also look into more of a "push/pull" utilizing some wrist action with your palm facing more towards the floor. Right now you're using mostly fingers and rebound and it's getting away from you just slightly. It's going to be really hard to get it to sound right on an electronic kit like that, too.
Old 03-07-2019, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Watso View Post
For these types of hi hat patterns I'd perhaps also look into more of a "push/pull" utilizing some wrist action with your palm facing more towards the floor. Right now you're using mostly fingers and rebound and it's getting away from you just slightly. It's going to be really hard to get it to sound right on an electronic kit like that, too.
I second that. Actually I'll go out on a limb and say that Porcaro would have never played on an electronic drumset, much less for a half-time shuffle groove like this song has. And I think the reason for that is down to the intricacies in the hihat rhythm when played with push/pull technique. You don't get the dynamics on an electronic kit.

At last years Drum Fantasy Camp, I went to Todd Sucherman's master class where he displays push/pull for shuffles as well as straight 16ths. I believe the same material is on his teaching DVDs. You might be able to find it on youtube.

Rhumbagirl