DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Cymbals

Cymbals Discuss Cymbals

Old 02-13-2019, 02:31 PM

Default Putting Holes in Cymbals?

I'm considering 'experimenting' with a crash to make it an 'o-zone' style crash, and wanted to know whether anyone knows something about drilling cymbals and how that affects the sound?

So, since I want to achieve maximum 'trashiness', I have some questions:
Is it better to drill many small holes, or fewer large holes?
For maximum trashiness, where should the holes be on the cymbal, near the bell or nearer to the edge?
And are thinner or thicker cymbals better for achieving a trashy sound?

I've never done something like this before, so t'would be nice if someone who knows what they're talking about could chime in!
Old 02-13-2019, 03:24 PM

Default Re: Putting Holes in Cymbals?

Plethora of videos and examples on YouTube.
Old 02-13-2019, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-Bro View Post
Plethora of videos and examples on YouTube.
Plenty examples of how the cymbals sound like, but not any I have found that answer my questions.
Do you have any particular links for me?
Old 02-13-2019, 04:54 PM
Administrator - Mayor

I went the easier route and took an 18 that I didn't like the sound of and drilled 21 small holes in it and put rivets in all of the holes. Trashy sound with little, to no sustain.
Old 02-13-2019, 05:16 PM

Looks like there are answers to your questions sprinkled around online forums, but it's mostly speculation and nothing I would take seriously.

I stumbled upon an article in an academic journal that could help:

Peaden, B. R., & Worland, R. (2011). Acoustic effects of holes on commercial cymbals. The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, 129(4), 2616-2616.

Any academics among us who could supply the full text?
Old 02-13-2019, 06:38 PM
Platinum Member

Anecdotally, I find the Ozone "several large holes in a symmetrical pattern" to provide a trashier sound than the Zildjian EFX "ovals and small holes' method.

I own a Zildjian Z Custom 18" medium crash that was modded into an Ozone by a friend. He uses a circular metal drill to scope out the holes, and then smooths the edges of the holes so they don't slice off fingers.

Usually Ozones are thinner than a Z Custom medium. Mine is plenty trashy; I've played a much thinner HHX Evolution Ozone in the same size that was a bit trashier, but also didn't project as much.
Old 02-13-2019, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparrott View Post
Anecdotally, I find the Ozone "several large holes in a symmetrical pattern" to provide a trashier sound than the Zildjian EFX "ovals and small holes' method.

I own a Zildjian Z Custom 18" medium crash that was modded into an Ozone by a friend. He uses a circular metal drill to scope out the holes, and then smooths the edges of the holes so they don't slice off fingers.

Usually Ozones are thinner than a Z Custom medium. Mine is plenty trashy; I've played a much thinner HHX Evolution Ozone in the same size that was a bit trashier, but also didn't project as much.
Ok, thats interesting to hear.
If what you say is true about the thickness, I assume heavy rides aren't too ideal then for turning into an Ozone :)
Old 02-13-2019, 09:47 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Drumz View Post
Ok, thats interesting to hear.
If what you say is true about the thickness, I assume heavy rides aren't too ideal then for turning into an Ozone :)
Not for crashing necessarily, but you might get a trashier quality out of it. Dave Weckl created the HHX Legacy Ozone ride with Sabian, but it only has holes on one side and it's a very light ride. Missing those big chunks of metal obviously slims down the cymbal a bit, adding to the trashiness.

Check out a full range of holey cymbals at mycymbal.com and you might start to see how different hole patterns affect the sound.
Old 02-13-2019, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Not for crashing necessarily, but you might get a trashier quality out of it. Dave Weckl created the HHX Legacy Ozone ride with Sabian, but it only has holes on one side and it's a very light ride. Missing those big chunks of metal obviously slims down the cymbal a bit, adding to the trashiness.

Check out a full range of holey cymbals at mycymbal.com and you might start to see how different hole patterns affect the sound.
Oh wow you're right, that Ozone ride is pretty trashy!
Old 02-22-2019, 05:56 AM

Quote:

I dropped in on a studio session where they had a Sabian 16" B8 Ozone crash and was surprised by the sound. It was a lively white noise sound, that sweet spot between dead and some sustain. I'd drill big holes for that sound. The Zildjian EFX and Paiste Swish Crashes sound deader to me.