DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 02-13-2019, 03:04 PM

Default Tiki Drums snare building course - how deep would you go?

I'm after your thoughts on deeper snare drums as I'll be attending a snare building course run by Preston at Tiki Drums in May.

I've been playing for 25 years but only ever used 5" or 5.5" snares, so I plan on building a deeper drum to provide an alternative to my existing collection (5" Rogers XP10 maple Dyna-Sonic, 5.5" Premier 2000 COA, 5.5" Gretsch Renown maple).

For the vaguest of spec, it'll definitely be wood and I prefer the pitch of a 14, so that's where I'm currently at. I play mainly classic rock and blues in small venues, so I never feel the need to mic the snare.

What depth do you reckon I should go for, and why? Do I stand to gain much by going for 7 rather than 6.5, for example? No doubt I'm committing some kind of cardinal sin by focusing on a single aspect of the drum in isolation, but I figure depth is about as general as you can get :-)

By the way - huge thanks to the drum builders who post on DW! The reams of information I've consumed on this forum are absolute gold!! Saved me asking a LOT of other questions, and thus enabling me to continue my life as a member who is mainly a lurker ;-)
Old 02-15-2019, 12:16 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Tiki Drums snare building course - how deep would you go?

E-mail Preston, he's the man, that laid back he's horizontal, genuinely loves his work. (info@tikidrums.com) Would be interested to see the new workshop in Cornwall.

Couldn't have been more helpful when I built mine. He advised me to go for a 6.5" deep snare and I upgraded to a steambent maple shell which he also recommended for versatility........hint hint. I came out with a great drum that has been used pretty much non-stop for the last 4 years.

There's also some bloke on here who has just retired from building some rather nice segmented fancy wood tubs who gives out priceless advice about drum building. Thanks again Andy!

You're doing the right thing by doing your homework, go in there knowing what you want. There will be people there who have gone in blind and due to time constraints of the course get a couple of minutes to choose the specs/wood/bearing edges/hardware of the drum.

It's a great weekend, lot of hardwork involved like sanding a snare bed by hand and finishing bearing edges by hand. You'll drink your body weight in tea and coffee, luckily I can drink tea for Britain so competing with the New Zealand equivalent was a challenge! (if you want to get in good books take biscuits). There's a pub lunch every day (or there was when he was in Hove)

Enjoy!
Old 02-15-2019, 01:23 PM
Gold Member

Something like this seems like something that you will keep for a long time due to the fact it will be very unique and special. I would go with something fairly mainstream and versatile in that case, 5.5"-6.5" Depth somewhere in there. So if you are looking for a change from what you have I'd go with a 6.5".
Old 02-15-2019, 03:25 PM
Silver Member

6.5 is as deep as I'd go for a snare, but only on a metal drum. For wood, the deepest I'd go is 6" - I have a couple of 6" wood snares that I've built and they are great sounding workhorses.
Old 02-15-2019, 04:23 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

6.5" is a great depth for just about anything (apart from a popcorn snare!) All of my favorite snares are 6.5x14 with one recent exception: the 8x14 Black Beauty (it's tied with the 6.5" Copperphonic for my #1 snare.)

The trick with an 8"' snare is to tune it as you would a 6.5 or 5", and let the extra depth do the work, bringing more meat to every stroke. It's more body, not really fatness (if you want a fat snare, that's easily accomplished with a 5" with a cutout head overlay.)

Anyway, 6.5 pretty much does it all, and different heads help bring out different characteristics.

Bermuda
Old 02-16-2019, 01:32 AM
Platinum Member

I used to have a Corder 14x8 snare. I tuned the heads tight, and it sounded great, but not in some rooms. I always took my Acrolite snare just in case the big snare did not sound good. I have neither of those snares now. Peace and goodwill.
Old 02-16-2019, 01:56 AM
Platinum Member

Honestly if I was to build a snare, I think I would build something different. I have two 5" snares, I've had a few 6.5" snares. I think either a piccolo (3.5 or 4", doesn't really matter) or something like 8" deep. In a 13. I'm liking a smaller snare right now.

Last edited by MrInsanePolack; 02-16-2019 at 01:58 AM. Reason: Misspelling
Old 02-17-2019, 12:16 AM

Thanks for the input - that's been really helpful! My initial thought was that 6.5 was too 'normal', but there is a damn good reason for it being normal, and I don't want to end up with something too esoteric.

I've talked with Preston over email and he initially suggested a 13x7, but I'm not sure I like the voice of a 13 enough to go for that. Maybe I'll see if I can try some out locally.

Of course, there are still 3 months until the course so I'll change my mind at least a dozen times between now and then...
Old 02-17-2019, 01:36 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forcer View Post
Thanks for the input - that's been really helpful! My initial thought was that 6.5 was too 'normal', but there is a damn good reason for it being normal, and I don't want to end up with something too esoteric.

I've talked with Preston over email and he initially suggested a 13x7, but I'm not sure I like the voice of a 13 enough to go for that. Maybe I'll see if I can try some out locally.

Of course, there are still 3 months until the course so I'll change my mind at least a dozen times between now and then...
I pick most of my snares based on the fact that I do low-volume acoustic gigs. Id choose the depth based on your usual gigs.
Old 02-17-2019, 01:39 AM
Gold Member

Quote:

As I mentioned, it seems like something that will be special with a good story that you will want to keep. Last thing you want to do is make something so esoteric you won't want to keep it around.
Old 02-18-2019, 12:21 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:

You sound like I did before I went. Kid in a sweet shop!

What wood are you going for. Preston probably recommended those dimensions based on getting the best out of the wood.

Here's the link to my thread when I did the course inc pics apologies for the state of my wall I'd just moved in and was in the middle of decorating.

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...d.php?t=125353
Old 02-18-2019, 01:43 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:

I didn't think I was gonna be a 13x7 guy until Andy built mine. Now I ask myself why I waited so long to get on board. It's got a great tuning range, and even when it goes high, the sound has so much body. It's very versatile; bonus for me is that as a smaller guy, it's easier to get my knees around.