14" 6 lug snare hoops??

goughy

Hey ya's. I have an old Olympic snare a mate gave to me, but I need new hoops for it. The original hoops are a double flange?? but pop over the edge of the skin rim, so are useless.

Problem is it's a 6 lug snare (yeah, I know, but hey it's a different sound, and I've spent the last 20+ years with just a supraphonic) and I'm sure a 6 lug tom rim would do the top, but it's the snare side that I'm struggling to find.

So just wondering if anyone has any ideas on where I could source some rims? I don't really wanna pay a fortune, but also don't know which I should get. 2.3mil triples, die cast (thought they might be more rigid and better considering only 6 lugs) or even wood hoops!

I have an old 20x14 bass drum that had alloy inlaid hoops and I changed them for wood and it breathed new life into it. Kinda thinking wood hoops on the snare would be kinda cool. But I have no idea on how wood hoops affect the sound of snare drums.

Anyway, if anyone has any advice or suggestions on where I can find some, or what would be better, that would be cool. I'm an Aussie if that helps with suggestions.

Thanks heaps!

I'm not sure about Australian delivery, but DrumsOnSale has a triple flange hoop like what you want. I've ordered from them previously in the U.S.– but I can't really find anything else online, so that might be it. You could use a single flange hoop with claw/hook lugs, but that will add a lot of mass as well as introduce some little things to consider if you put those on the batter side as well.

Back