Vibes vid

Larry

"Uncle Larry"
I made a video that shows how the vibraphone works with a really bad sound test. I could not hold the camera and play, so I will make another playing vid where I don't have to hold the camera where you actually hear the real sound and range. I was using very hard mallets so the warble would come through. It sounds much mellower with softer mallets. I didn't even play any low notes.

Playing them....that's what sound effect guys on TV shows use to invoke a dream like sequence....and it does invoke a certain dreaminess while playing....the vibrato is mesmerizing. I could fall in love with these things in a heartbeat.

Plus drummers are uniquely suited for vibes because RUDIMENTS SOUND AWESOME! Just pick some good notes that work well together. Doing fast single strokes anywhere my mallet happens to hit and I sound like something on Frank Zappa lol. It's great for accuracy, it's great for playing a melody hand to hand, it's a challenge, because of the layout, it's akin to playing a piano with sticks. And it just puts you in such a state...the vibrato....the dream like effect...it's like a vibrator on my eardrums and you know what that leads to lol.

So a gong. And a vibrator. I mean a vibraphone. That's all I need.

http://youtu.be/VeeWeQUeICs

what a find. those are very cool, and they sound superb.... 96 Tears.
could get lost in them.

Many years ago I started marimba lessons with my drum teacher. I found the melodic aspects very satisfying. He also had a set of vibes. It was enchanting. Thank you for making this video. I have certainly heard vibes since then but not isolated and with my full attention. Just a beautiful sound. Enjoy them Larry. I also enjoyed hearing your accent. Having come from western PA and having relatives in eastern PA, that too brought back memories!

I was dying for you to hit the lower notes!!! Such a sexy instrument. Will it still be there in April?

For sure it will be here in April. I'll make a playing vid as it was horribly deficient. I really apologize for my novice videos.

I didn't play enough with the valves on, I didn't hit the low notes.

I'll post a better audio demo soon.

Many years ago I started marimba lessons with my drum teacher. I found the melodic aspects very satisfying. He also had a set of vibes. It was enchanting. Thank you for making this video. I have certainly heard vibes since then but not isolated and with my full attention. Just a beautiful sound. Enjoy them Larry. I also enjoyed hearing your accent. Having come from western PA and having relatives in eastern PA, that too brought back memories!

Yes, I'll post another vid with my accent lol. It IS enchanting. It put's me in an alpha(?) state, it's like Pavlov's dog. I equate them to dream like states from TV conditioning, and it's like a hypnotic thing. What great therapy.

what a find. those are very cool, and they sound superb.... 96 Tears.
could get lost in them.

Oh yes. Getting lost (in the good way) is a great way to describe it.

Awesome, Larry - congrats on an opportunity for a whole new exploration!

I studied/played mallets back in the mid to late 80's with a great teacher. In doing so, I learned not only how complex the instrument was but made me so much more aware of more musical ideas.

Way to go!! The next Lionel Hampton.......

Awesome, Larry - congrats on an opportunity for a whole new exploration!

I studied/played mallets back in the mid to late 80's with a great teacher. In doing so, I learned not only how complex the instrument was but made me so much more aware of more musical ideas.

Way to go!! The next Lionel Hampton.......

You said it. It really is a brain exercise. Today I learned how to play the main riff of Coldplay's "Clocks". I always felt like I was flying when I hear that song and I thought that the vibes would just capture the spirit of it, which they do. I can't believe how hard it is to execute only 3 sets of 4 notes, one stick in each hand. (One set of notes gets repeated). OMG my brain hurt. I want to video it but I can barely do 4 bars of it, and it's not clean. It sounds dreamy though when I get it right.

Back