D6 vs Beta52

Doug Masters

Silver Member
My band currently uses the audix F12 mic pack but I am debating on upgrading to either a D6 or Beta52 for the kick. The main question I have is that in the video audix puts out it talks about not putting the mic halfway in-halfway out of the port (skip to 2:29) but rather inside the drum and angled toward the beater http://www.audixusa.com/docs/about/videos_1.shtml However almost everyone I have seen using a Beta52 has it halfway in-halfway out. Clear as mud? Why is this?

Thanks

My band currently uses the audix F12 mic pack but I am debating on upgrading to either a D6 or Beta52 for the kick. The main question I have is that in the video audix puts out it talks about not putting the mic halfway in-halfway out of the port (skip to 2:29) but rather inside the drum and angled toward the beater http://www.audixusa.com/docs/about/videos_1.shtml However almost everyone I have seen using a Beta52 has it halfway in-halfway out. Clear as mud? Why is this?

Thanks

The port is the exist point for the compressed air in the kick, its the 'wind tunnel' if you will, so you don't want to put the mic in that rush of air.

I've never liked the 52. ALWAYS sounds muddy to me in every situation/venue I've seen it in.

I don't let sound people use it on my drum at shows. I bring my own mic and have it ready (so they don't have to do any extra work, just being "polite").

I use a D112, most of it is IN the hole, and not angled at the beater spot.
Always get a great sound, but the drum IS 20" deep, so the mic isn't getting that huge rush of air Les talked about.

On a 14 or 16" deep drum, I wold put it more in the drum, or use a ported head like that Evan EQ head with the small off center cut out strips instead of a hole.

I HATE a "click" sound to my bass drum, so I always keep the mic from pointing at the beater spot.

I've had the D6 on my kick and it's a nice mic too (I like the silver one), but I really dig the sound I get from the D112.
The D112 would be my number one suggestion, and can be found used on eBay for not much dough.
The RE20's are great mic's from all accounts, but for what they cost even used, I'm not changing from the D112.
If you are upgrading anyway, you might want to check into that one too.

Just my 2 cents.

Back