Options in my price range?

Cheers man thanks for the reply. I picked up a cheap PDP maple kit about a month ago and I just built a small drum room in my basement and the kit pounds. It was night and day how great the kit sounds inside the room now compared to in an open, unfinished basement before.

I dont know if this is a smart way to go but since I already own a maple shell kit I'm looking to grab a birch, and maybe a bubinga or basswood down the road. I'm beginning to experiment with home recording and would like to see what different feels I can get from a birch kit, that's why I'm leaning towards the Superstars. I checked on guitarcentre and the 4pc desert burst superstar hypdrives go for $979, and they're identical to 2008's models. I think that if I can get the 1 yr old kit for around $500-600 USD then I'm golden. Álso, I plan on using the PDPs for hosting open mic jams and small gigs in my area since they're a wrap and I won't mind if they pick up a few scratches and dings. Then the kit that I buy soon (Superstars most likely) will stay in my basement unless I absolutely need to take them out. I'll keep you posted with what decision I make. Thanks again,
AV

P.S. Please bear in mind that I'm Canadian and therefore the USD conversion isn't exactly favourable right now, and it costs a fortune to have items shipped from the US since most retailers insist on using UPS instead of Canada Post, and I also get dinged for 'duty' at the border, which is an undetermined amount which I pay when the item gets delivered (could be as much as 60 bucks for a drum kit, plus the cost of shipping as is).

I guess what I'm looking for is some reasuurance that this is a good deal for me as a Canadian, seeing as prices are a bit higher here and I dont have as many options available to me. Thanks

Hey no problem, happy to help! That sounds like quite a deal you got going, very nice, keep it up!

And if you're looking for a nice little birch kit, Ddrum also sells off the DIOS line, the STN model, which features a birch/aspen/birch shell with cherry wood hoops. Very nice, thought about one myself actually. you can get one on a deal for about $999 USD

This is just to show you what they look like:
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-DDRUM-DIOS-...5|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:3|294:50

Here's another
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-DDRUM-DIOS-...5|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:0|293:2|294:50

And definetly keep me posted. peace

With the bad economy I'd keep an eye on craigslist, ebay or local shops for a bargin. I found a guy on craigslist selling a used Starclassic Performer (birch) shell pack for $650.

I noticed it a day too late because when I called he said he'd sold them the night before. If you can find a steal on a used SC Performer, I'd jump on it. They're the house set at a coffee shop/jamming place near me and they sound awesome.

That's a steal, 650 for some SC's...

I'm set up to buy the Hyperdrives for $670 CAD this Sunday. The seller is actually from the states and he's had a really tough time finding a buyer down there so I''m happy to drive a couple hours to grab the kit.

We're not all feeling the economic crunch as much north of the border but the auto sector has been hit hard as well as some manufacturing in the area.

Anyways I'll post pics on Sunday, happy bargain hunting ppl

You might also consider Mapex's M Birch....it's not thier top to the line kit but a nice sounding sturdy set that can be had for for less than $400US. I bought a used one in new condition for $300US with all the hardware and a couple of crappy cymbols...put some Aquarians on it and surrounded it with some K customs and a Paiste Signature. I love it!
The kit sounds good live and records well too.

Back