Studio rings with Coated Drum heads?

Adam Bourque

I am buying some Evans G2 Coated drum heads, should I get studio rings with it? I love what studio rings do, but I've never tried them with a coated tom head.

Thank you!
-Adam Bourque

I'll bet London to a brick the studio ring won't know it's sitting on a coated head.

To my knowledge, no studio ring has ever gone on strike due to being placed on a coated batter. ;-)

AFAIK, Steve Gadd was the first well known player to use this type of dampening and it was on a coated Remo snare batter.

Rings will work whether coated or not.

IMO, G2's might sound a bit too dead for my tastes with studio rings but if that's what you are looking for in a sound then try it out

Jim

AFAIK, Steve Gadd was the first well known player to use this type of dampening and it was on a coated Remo snare batter.

Rings will work whether coated or not.

IMO, G2's might sound a bit too dead for my tastes with studio rings but if that's what you are looking for in a sound then try it out

Jim

I've only used a studio ring with a G2 for my 16" Floor tom. That little monster would just ring forever!
Now I know we need resonance, but just seemed way long to me.

I agree with Jim, the G2's already have enough tone and ring control without the rings. The rings would surely cut down the sustain and really deaden the tone. They might work on the snare, as I did throw on a G2 and it did need some ring control. I quickly removed that head from the snare and kept it for the toms.

Might work though - if that's the tone you're after. Our church uses EC2's on the toms (DW Collectors) along with moongel. Each drum is mic'd top and bottom, so I suppose they want a short, focused sustain and tone. Any mistakes from using rings are easy to correct - just remove :) Much easier than buying the wrong head!

Back