use as a stage monitor?

stevo

I have 8 microphones used for my drums. I am thinking about getting a mixer, to pre mix my drums, to go through our band sound system.
But I am wondering if the mixer can also be used as a monitor? Using headphones/ear bud, but wondering if the rest of the band can be patched into my mixer, and used as a stage monitor?
I do not have a mixer picked out, but I have looked at some, but do not see if the use as a full band monitor can be done.
Thanks.

If your going to get a mixer to do your own stage mix for monitors its probably best that you get one with direct outs so who ever does your FOH mix can get an untouched signal from each channel. An allen and heath mix wizzard would do quite well and their compact 16 channel is rack mountable or stand alone console style and has decent on board effects with up to 6 separate monitor sends plus and a/b out and you can probably get a good price on a used unit as there seems to be quite a few of them floating around, plus it will work very was as your main mixer later on if you decide to have your own complete PA system.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ALLEN-HEATH...854?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item256c97c1e6

Yes, you can get a mixer to pre-mix your drums to send to the FOH signal. It's handy, because it takes your X number of mics and reduces your channel needs to 2 (stereo) for the main mixer. If you also want to use the mixer to be your personal monitor volume adjuster, you'll need a send from the main mixer sent to a channel on your mixer, and the ability to send that signal to your monitor/headphones without being sent back to the front of house again (an aux send, monitor send, "sum" send, effects send, or whatever...). Also, if you need a speaker for a monitor, it has to be amplified somehow, so either get a powered speaker or a power amp to run the signal through before your passive monitor speaker.

Yes, you can get a mixer to pre-mix your drums to send to the FOH signal. It's handy, because it takes your X number of mics and reduces your channel needs to 2 (stereo) for the main mixer. If you also want to use the mixer to be your personal monitor volume adjuster, you'll need a send from the main mixer sent to a channel on your mixer, and the ability to send that signal to your monitor/headphones without being sent back to the front of house again (an aux send, monitor send, "sum" send, effects send, or whatever...). Also, if you need a speaker for a monitor, it has to be amplified somehow, so either get a powered speaker or a power amp to run the signal through before your passive monitor speaker.

If you reduce to 2 channels before sending to the FOH mixer the sound man is not going to be able to control any individual levels plus he will only have the monitor mix which will be eq'd to remove feedback if using speker monitors and it wont be nearly as crisp as it could be. Like I said if your gonna mix your own stage mix then get a mixer with direct outs so the sound tech will have an untouched signal of each channel sent to the FOH mixer..

Thanks.
So I understand, using the mixer as a monitor, specifically, using an in ear bud, and wanting to hear the entire sound of the band, i.e, all instruments, vocals, that this would be possible?

Thanks.
So I understand, using the mixer as a monitor, specifically, using an in ear bud, and wanting to hear the entire sound of the band, i.e, all instruments, vocals, that this would be possible?

yes, just try to get a mixer with enough monitor sends that each band member gets his own separate mix.

Back