Derek Roddy here!

I love that track, and the video is cool too.

Definatly something people aren't used to from you & the other names involved aswell (specially mitch harris & shane embury).

Cheers man...glad you dig it.

It's nice to actually be able to play drums instead of getting in a fight with them. Haha.

On another note......

Reach out if anybody is interested.

Cheers,
D

Hey Derek,

What I love about your attitude is that you are willing to play anything from death metal (which you're most known for) to jazz, fusion, and progressive rock, among many other styles! How do you feel playing in a particular musical context (like death metal) is similar to playing in other styles, and what are the challenges that come with playing a wide variety of styles-if there are any, of course?

Thanks!

Hey Derek,

What I love about your attitude is that you are willing to play anything from death metal (which you're most known for) to jazz, fusion, and progressive rock, among many other styles! How do you feel playing in a particular musical context (like death metal) is similar to playing in other styles, and what are the challenges that come with playing a wide variety of styles-if there are any, of course?

Thanks!

Hey Allen...thanks brother. Means a lot.

You know....I'm known for playing "Extreme Metal" but, when I started playing drums (1977) there wasn't "extreme metal". I grew up playing southern rock, disco, jazz, blues....you name it. Because that's what was around. As soon as I heard another style of music that I wasn't familiar with......I started learning the music (not the style of drumming.....big difference and, I think the answer to your question)

At an early age, I realized that all music was the same. Doesn't matter if it's Death Metal or bop....the same "rules" apply to both from a musical prospective. It's gotta feel natural not forced. That applies to all music....even electronic music.

So, with that in mind...the challenge would be to know the musical style enough, to not force other styles of playing over to it.

Don't know if that makes any sense but, the best way I could come up with an answer for ya. haha.

D

Hey Derek,

It's been a while since last time I saw/spoke to you at the DrumRoadTrip back in 2010. Anyway hope all is well.

I have a quick question: Do you have any suggestions for practicing alternating the kick drum and right/left hand on a tom really fast so that it sounds as if its double bass like in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8T-85IbmuxE at 30:10. (I've seen you do it countless times just couldn't find one off hand.) I've been practicing it with a metronome slow but I can't push past 140 without my hand and foot to start hitting at the same time. Any tips. Thanks,

Dan

I use that hand foot exercise in 4 combos...

RH/RF
LH/LF
RH/LF
LH/RF

Do these 4 combos at various tempos. Within your comfort and push tempo out of your comfort level and come back.
Doing these with a time limit....say 10 minutes each...will make sure you can comfortably get through the entire 10 minutes at your comfort tempo. When pushing....don't be concerned about cleanliness, etc you focus on that when you come back to your comfort level.

Cheers
D

I was turned on to this alternating hands/feet topic by my friend Vito Rezza. I sort of became obsessed with it, partly it is a really cool thing you can work on when your concentration level is a little saturated, you can do it sort of mindlessly just as a muscle control exercise. I go through it rudimentally and in combos of 1,2,3,4,5and 6 note timing, 5's really tore me apart feeling every other accent on the kick note is just kind of an alien feel. After a year or I has it been 2?........of working it hard I am not quite up to Steve Smith's speed and fluidity, but getting close. He learned it I think indirectly thru Alan Dawson. He elaborates in the "standing on the Shoulders of Giants" DVD. Ialso can pick it out from songs and solo's now. Donati demonstrated it at one his clinics I attended, he came across as "I can do this but I really doubt you can" when asked to break it down slowly. I felt great cause I can too. I find it more efficient for me to cross it up, so it becomes more like a RLRL single stroke roll in the brain, RH/LF/LH/RF.

I use that hand foot exercise in 4 combos...

RH/RF
LH/LF
RH/LF
LH/RF

Do these 4 combos at various tempos. Within your comfort and push tempo out of your comfort level and come back.
Doing these with a time limit....say 10 minutes each...will make sure you can comfortably get through the entire 10 minutes at your comfort tempo. When pushing....don't be concerned about cleanliness, etc you focus on that when you come back to your comfort level.

Cheers
D
Thanks a lot for writing back. One more question: Whatever happened to your forum and will it every be coming back?

—Dan

Hello everyone,
Been awhile since I've had some time to post. Life in general has had me fairly busy and, I haven't been playing drums very much this last year.
I'm in the process of moving into a new larger studio so, hoping to get back on the ole' horse and get back to playing a bit.

I did want to share with all of you a band that I've been doing with a friend of mine. I've shared it here before but, I never came back with any video links so....here ya go. It's slightly different from what I'm known for. haha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtrXrbVxzHk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRRk9bzih4M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4W1HTJzwosM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLT1R1HD9Ug

Hope all is well with everyone and happy drumming.

D

All really good stuff Derek. Loving the soundscape on this new material.

You need to hurry up with this studio too - you've got a deadline to meet, remember? ;) ;) ;)

Sand art continues to amaze me. I love the morphing expression :)

very cool video, almost prog rock sounding. I'm all for the changes in style derek, the traumedy temple video where you played it live was sick.

Derek,

This actually brings to light a point you made in the MD 2008 appearance about versatility. Plus your playing at that show is proof.

I also really like the point you made about technique: in that you find technique to be when you are able to hear what you are doing wrong instead of having to search for it - that is extremely wise.

Thanks man!

Hi Derek,

I've heard that you're coming to Houma, LA for a clinic but can't find any information on the clinic.
Looking forward to hearing from you (and hopefully seeing the clinic...)

Hey everyone,

Dang been a good minute since I've posted. To be honest, it's been awhile since I've had anything to post. lol.

Recently did some shows with Nader Sadek (Nader is an Egyptian artist who hires musicians to perform)
It's the typical "metal" style I'm known for....haha. Just haven't played this stuff in quite some time....funny how it doesn't "leave" and the muscle memory stays...just need a couple days to get the cardio in check.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIxEIfnBX38

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BS2aQcaTS2w

I've got some high quality rehearsal videos coming soon so, I'll be sure to post em as these are "show quality" video haha.

D

Back