Camco by TAMA *help please*

Status
Not open for further replies.

<(' . '<)

I purchased a 3 piece (13, 16, 22 was a 4 piece with 12 tom but it was trashed) Camco by Tama kit, and want to know some things about it's history. The badges have serial's, but I can't find anywhere online that has serial's for these drums. They have TAMA's 70's/80's lugs and the speckled inner shell that they used to do also. I think they are US made, I think the over seas ones are the ones with the oval (now DW) lugs, but I'm not totally sure. Could anyone do the following, give me a link to a serial reader for these, tell me where they are made, and of what wood?

Pic are needed,since Tama used several different lugs in the 70's 80's.The Zola coat interiors usually indicate mahogany shells like early Imperialstars.Tama serial nimbers are all over the place but usually if there is a number prefix as in 82-079968 or something like that it generally means made in 82,but it's NOT a lock.Finish also plays into it.

Just about all Camco by Tama are birch shells made in Japan and assembled in Bethsalem P.A,so the can legally be called made in the USA.Some Keller maple shells are thought to be out there,but would be rare.Most of these drum were lacquer finished,and had the Tama/Camco type turret lugs.

Impossible to tell without clear(as in not cell phone) pics,although it sounds like very early Camco Tamas.They were 9 ply mahogany,7.8 mm I think and the lugs looked like a cross between Ludwig large super classic and 80's Sonor Phonics.They were also a wrap finish.Mid 80's.The sounded very similar to eary 80's Imperstars.

By the way...you need to be a bit more patient.This isn't ask a question and get an instant answer.

Steve B

Last edited:
Pic are needed,since Tama used several different lugs in the 70's 80's.The Zola coat interiors usually indicate mahogany shells like early Imperialstars.Tama serial nimbers are all over the place but usually if there is a number prefix as in 82-079968 or something like that it generally means made in 82,but it's NOT a lock.Finish also plays into it.

Just about all Camco by Tama are birch shells made in Japan and assembled in Bethsalem P.A,so the can legally be called made in the USA.Some Keller maple shells are thought to be out there,but would be rare.Most of these drum were lacquer finished,and had the Tama/Camco type turret lugs.

Impossible to tell without clear(as in not cell phone) pics.

Steve B

The kick drum serial is 10013, no other numbers. It is a Piano Black wrap, and I have found that it is made in Taiwan.

Sorry I haven't had a chance to clean these yet.

Attachments

• 2012-10-17_18-00-35_471.jpg
    2012-10-17_18-00-35_471.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 570
Sorry I haven't had a chance to clean these yet.

They are around 86/87 when Tama introduced them.9 ply mahogany like I said before,
zola coat interiors.The serial number dating thing dosen't work well with Tama,and drums made later than 84 serial numbers are useless.There is no serial number reader...what ever that is.Wrap finish also confirms this.

Like I said before,the serial number prefix is a guide,but it also has to line up with hardware and finish to give you a GENERAL idea of when the drum was made.In the case of those drums ...there is NO prefix.The same is true of all serial number dating,reguardless of who made the drums.It's a general guide,and NOT etched in stone,I don't care what anybody says.

Steve B

They are around 86/87 when Tama introduced them.9 ply mahogany like I said before,
zola coat interiors.The serial number dating thing dosen't work well with Tama,and drums made later than 84 serial numbers are useless.There is no serial number reader...what ever that is.Wrap finish also confirms this.

Like I said before,the serial number prefix is a guide,but it also has to line up with hardware and finish to give you a GENERAL idea of when the drum was made.In the case of those drums ...there is NO prefix.The same is true of all serial number dating,reguardless of who made the drums.It's a general guide,and NOT etched in stone,I don't care what anybody says.

Steve B

Thank you very much, I was actually about to post I found out they're late 80's. But the mahogany thing really helps out a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back