My new favourite drumming video of all time!

Andy

Honorary Member
Thanks to Henri for bringing yet another gem to my attention (he really is a star at tracking down tasty stuff). I'm captivated, enthralled, & totally absorbed in the heady mix of depth of groove, musicality, & technical ability on display here. It's no secret that I'm a big fan of SP, but this is just sublime on another level. The breakdown from 5:50 is pure enjoyment & genius. Although this performance has been posted here before, this is a new drumcam version. What a gift :)

Thanks again Henri!

Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFGkvF_rK-A&feature=related

The man is a an absolute badass. He's even got the Carlock lick down. Major screwup at about 2:48 :)
Yes ALP, such a groove monster, but I'm not getting the screwup at 2:48. That section sounds just fine to me. He's straight back into the odd sig' groove. If you're referring to the hold back on the fill ending, I took that as a communication pause between band members.

Man thanks for posting this! I've been a SP fan for a long time and I think his playing just gets better and better. I've been very fortunate to see him play a couple times in local clubs around here.

Thanks again Henri!
You're most welcome :)

The man is a an absolute badass. He's even got the Carlock lick down. Major screwup at about 2:48 :)

Yes I agree, SP's playing is phenomenal in this number.

However, what's with the screw up at 2:48, the end of these fills and the come back to the groove is simply splendid to me, what is it you heard Grea that I (or Andy) didn't pick up? Can you elaborate?

Consider it downloaded and put into my drumming videos folder! Great groove, that bass line is killer! If you watch closely at 2:57 you can see him start to close his eyes because he's so deep into the feel of the groove of the song and moment. Pretty cool and thanks for sharing!

The way I saw it Simon was expecting the song to take off and immediately realised they were pulling back and adjusted - superb save. Then he smiled. I've done that before but obviously didn't save the day with Simon's efficiency. He's always been a hotshot - sometimes he reminds me of Tony Williams. Phil Collins too.

big respect for simon. modren drummer featured him in the late eighties i think and they said he was the best groove drummer on earth. a lot of greats have come since and many would argue against such a statement but when all is said and done the man is a legend. i love how his kit has hardely changed in 20 years as well.
i'm glas i watched that.
j

So much nicer to have the bass player continuing the groove under the drum solo - it sounds so much better. I just love the guys' groove and his rolls.

Davo

Been a big Simon Phillips fan for as long as I can remember. Does he ever age? I'm pretty sure he's got that thing beat. Even his drumset hasn't changed! What a monster. He's always been so good at open handed playing, sometimes when I watch I'm convinced he's left handed, but then he turns around and rides or leads with his right and I'm not just reminded that he's a righty, but that he's unbelievably good at going back and forth.

Simon - you are the shizznit, and always have been. Thanks for the reminder!

Off to practice now with some new inspiration.

Been a big Simon Phillips fan for as long as I can remember.

Same here - ever since 801 Live in which he blew me away. Having said that, on the adaptations of Quiet Sun songs at times I was a bit disappointed at how, despite his mastery, he sounded more classic, showy and slick than Charles Hayward, who had a tasty raw and quirky approach, which really does it for me.

I especially preferred Quiet Sun's version of Rongwrong which, in the spirit of all great prog, has some brilliant passages and some iffy bits: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sJFSNOgtZE

I thought Simon's standout performance on that album was in TNK - killer!

Great vid, Andy! Simon is sublime here.. It sounded like a jam somewhat, but they were all smokin'.... even Ritneour was really good ; )

I didnt hear what Pol heard either,

...sometimes he reminds me of Tony Williams...
Tony Williams is a big influence of Simon.

On his solo project Another Lifetime, the name of the album was inspired byTony. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Klx6t_Nyjh8

Off to practice now with some new inspiration.

Haha, yes, when I watched this vid the first time, I did that too :)

I thought Simon's standout performance on that album was in TNK - killer!

Me too... and he was only 19 back then, but some of his trademarks are already showing.

I didnt hear what Pol heard either...

Yeah... even when explained, I still didn't hear it.

Love that Simon guy! But I think he could use more drums. At least as many as Andy has ;)
Awe c'mon Bo. Simon has 10, & that's without the octobans. I have a mere 6, & although you don't see it here, sometimes 4, & occasionally 2 (actually, you did see me with 2, on my 2 minute solo challenge video). I do like the running joke though Bo :)

The way I saw it Simon was expecting the song to take off and immediately realised they were pulling back and adjusted - superb save. Then he smiled.
I completely get where Pol, erm Anon's, coming from on this, I just read it differently. Maybe because I have the benefit of seeing him do this several times before, & somewhat strangely, now I've examined this piece, it's something I do too! (there's that subliminal influence thang creeping in again). My take; Simon knows that breakdown's coming. He decides to put one big backbeat in after the fill resolve on the one. It's a great way of accentuating the breakdown, & very effective IMO. He also has a bit of fun with it, because he knows the other players will be caught off guard, & that little smile is "yup, had you going there, didn't I". In other words, anopol caught exactly the vibe Simon wanted his stage peers to get :)

Back