I want to see the exact trees my drums are coming from

Haha. I'm saying like the EXACT tree that the drum is made out of.

Like going into Guitar Center or Sam Ash, looking at the snare drum, and dangling from the price tag seeing a picture of that very tree looking at you all like "whats up dude.....play me"

Maple:

dmapletree2.gif

Poplar:

CottonwoodTree.jpg

Birch:

birch_tree-11883.jpg

Mahoganey:

mahogany-tree.jpg

Bubinga:

Bubinga_tree.jpg

Basswood tree........?

Attachments

• basswood tree.jpg
    basswood tree.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 558
Chop one down and get to work!

Imagine the satisfaction of playing a kit that was once a tree and you then you killed it. Also consider mounting a branchy part of it on a plaque as you would a prize deer or moose you shot.

Doubt if anyone would ever be able to give you a picture of the tree because most drum shell manufacturers get their woods from a lumber yard.​
The only possible exception, Spirit Drums. http://www.spiritdrums.com/snare/custom.html While again, they probably would not be able to get you a photo of the tree, they might be able to get you a photo of the timber used, being they turn a whole kit out of a single section of log.​

Guess the real question is why does it matter if you can "see" the actual tree? It's not going to change anything about the drum or how it sounds. Lets be honest if samples of wood were put in front of you would you be able to tell which one was birch, poplar, maple, oak, hickory, walnut and so on? I know I probably couldn't.

Like going into Guitar Center or Sam Ash, looking at the snare drum, and dangling from the price tag seeing a picture of that very tree looking at you all like "whats up dude.....play me"

Why would you want that? Would you be able to tell high quality wood from low quality wood by looking at a picture of a tree?

In any case, as stated above, drum companies don't chop down the trees themselves, and not even the lumberjacks who do keep track of what planks come from what tree. That would entail a massive tracking process and would probably easily triple the price of the wood (or more).

edit: It's also unlikely that all the wood in a single drum (let alone a whole kit) comes from a single tree (unless we're talking about a solidshell drum, obviously)

Last edited:
Chop one down and get to work!

Imagine the satisfaction of playing a kit that was once a tree and you then you killed it. Also consider mounting a branchy part of it on a plaque as you would a prize deer or moose you shot.

I agree. Think of all the sticks you could make out of the extra wood, maybe even a canoe.

Poison Ivy. Great thread for Earth Day. LOL

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 405
If you've ever wondered where plywood comes from, yes the plywood tree.

Attachments

• plytree.JPG
    plytree.JPG
    159.4 KB · Views: 473
Muckster that was brilliant.
I want to see the seed that the wood from my drums grew from.

I think that very tree would be saying something more like, "Hey buddy, I hope you're digging that snare 'cuz I ain't around no more because of you!"

Drum geneology,I can see D.W. doing this,and having a hospital ,Cabbage Patch drums by D.W,with little I.D bracelets and Timeless Timber Rattles,with drumkey and collector series badge mobiles.

I hope you don't want to see the sperm that created you too. Just like the tree, it's long gone by the time the drums are made.

Back