wow.. I need to learn about building a sound room

Ohio

Watch this video..

This guys drums sound freaking amazing like he was in a million dollar studio...

Question on mics?

Is there a preference of brand for recoring vs live?

He is using Audix ? (never heard of them before) I always thought Shure was the standard..

https://youtu.be/ZmRe9LmpIJo

Audix is very popular for metal as they have a very scooped, pre-eq'ed sort of sound with great attack. I don't play metal much at all, but I really like Audix mics. I've used them on my Legacy kit before and the whole package sounded amazing, especially my bass drum. The Audix D6 is a great bass drum mic. I still like a plain ol' SM57 better for snare drums than the Audix I5, but all the Audix mics are great.

As for a good sounding drum room, there are no hard and fast rules, but for a big, live sound a big room will almost always sound better than a small room. You want a preferably high, absorbent ceiling or at least a cloud over the kit and usually you want some absorption behind and on the sides of the kit while the rest of the room is kept pretty live (hard surfaces) with maybe some difusion on the wall furthest away from the kit. Each room is case by case and experimentation with placing different treatments in different areas will yeild the best results for your tastes. Most studios nowadays have hard, reflective floors, but if most of the room is kept live, I prefer short pile carpet. If the room is too boomy then bass traps in the corners of the room will go a long way. The same is also true sometimes if the room doesn't have enough bass going on- bass traps can sometimes accentuate and tighten up the bass in a room when low frequencies are cancelling each other out. Rectangular rooms sound better than square rooms and rooms with no parallel walls sound even better usually. If you have flutter echo in the room then a couple of simple poly difusers on opposite walls, but offset a bit from each other (not directly across from each other) will get rid of that.

Back