cymbal samples on websites...

Ainulindale

Gold Member
Hey everybody, i'm just wondering if anybody has any experience with testing cymbals on the manufacturers sites with their sound samples and then purchasing on that research?
I guess i'm just asking how accurate the sound samples are - in particular Zildjian and Sabian?
Any help would be great, thanks!

I find the who exercise pointless when in fact, the cymbal that you listen to in the shop sounds different at home or in a studio or at a gig venue.

Add to that, that kind of drums in your set up ( the tunings, the tone etc ) dramatically affect the sound of the cymbal..

Having said that there are some cymbals that shine through anything.. Istanbuls, Zildjian, Sabians, et al.

Lenny White Ride, I await you.. sound unheard...

I've had the great fortune to go to 15+ years of NAMM shows, ping on cymbals 'til I can't ping any more. Find what I like, and what I don't.....and then go shop on eBay. So, to that end, any and all research you do is better than "none whatsoever". I've never been disappointed with a pro-level cymbal purchase. I'll bought quite a few cymbals "unheard", but by the same token, I know what they're supposed to sound like. So if an MP3 file is what you have to go on, well, that's better than just an advert. A review would probably be better than an advert.

Lenny White Ride, I await you.. sound unheard...

Come on Abe get that Lenny Epoch ride I know you want it. You won't be disappointed. This one at 3055g sounded totally killer with a band I co-lead called the Kane/Taylor Explosion at a local jazz club last night.

Do it! :}

Attachments

• Epoch 3055g {back}.jpg
    Epoch 3055g {back}.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 178
Come on Abe get that Lenny Epoch ride I know you want it.

Do it! :}

Stan, you are a cruel cruel man, flashing me with pictures like that! The penny jar is more than half way full ..you will be the first to know ; )

I play Paiste Signature Crashes and 2002 Chinas and am over an hour away from the nearest store that carries them. And the store that carries them only has a limited variety....your standard 16", 18" a set of medium hats, and a couple rides kind of thing.

My entire setup has been purchased based on the sound files in Paiste's soundroom. I've not yet been disappointed in the actual sound of the cymbal received vs. what I heard there.

Can't speak to the 'accuracy' of the Sabian and Zildjian sites.....

Cheers!

I agree with the sound files on paistes site being accurate. I bought a pair of traditional hats in the shop first. After setting them up I clicked on the sound file on the site. Of course nothing can compare to hearing cymbals live, right in front of you, but if you don't have that option the soundroom is the way to go.

hey everyone, thanks for the replies!
i guess i'm just worrying about splitting the hairs between the different cymbals - probably over analyzing.
i like and use to play sabians but the K custom line up from Zildjian sounds good (online anyway), my problem is that the stores nearby are'nt stocking the specific models i'm interested in, so when it comes time i may just have to take your advice and take a chance!
Sticky.Widjet, you mentioned Paiste and sounds like you're happy with the cymbals (?), i have really only heard the name - i'll have to check out the site!
oh, and thats something harryconway - 15 years at namm - must have some great memeories!
good drumming guys!

Depending on how popular the cymbals are, Youtube has tons of videos of people "sound-checking" cymbals. Some have very good quality audio.

805! i'm a youtube junkie and never thought of this - life is tough when your stupid - thanks, i'll see if i can get lucky...

805! i'm a youtube junkie and never thought of this - life is tough when your stupid - thanks, i'll see if i can get lucky...

You're welcome. It sucks that there were no PDP 805 videos on Youtube when I was buying my kit...I think 80% of the purchases of PST 3s and 805's were influenced from my video...no kidding.

Back