What I need

imtombstone

after apx 3 months playing dums ,
i still need lots of basic learning with rudiments and such.
my kit is so much fun to play.
i have a metonome (old franz) great when i work on rudiments on pad
apx 1 hr a day, but when i jam on kit ( apx 1 hr a day )
cant hear it , i know im missing time and getting off time
haveing played guitar and bass in bands
do they make a headphone / metronome ?
if not , someone should. i know i could put on phone with headphone jack
but i would rather have hearing protection with a click :) lol

Sometimes I use Tempo Perfect, it's free metronome software for my computer. I turn up the speakers or plug in headphones.

You need a set of Ultraphones, or Vic Firth isolation headphones, an iPod/iPad/iPhone and a metronome app. Hearing protection with a click.

Mr Relish.

I don't bother with the expensive drum-specific headphones. I use regular ol' earbuds under a set of shooting muffs. Works fine.

This ^^. I mean, there are specific headphones out there, but what you really need to be aware of is that you need to be isolated enough so you don't keep turning up the click in your ears to hear it over the drums. That will eventually make you go deaf. IF you got some sort of earbud, try that and keep the level down, because the earbud is already blocking the outside sound from coming in. I have a pair of Shure SE215 in-ear monitors that cost $100 and they work great for that.

But you could also go completely old skool and, if your metronome has a light on it, lock in visually. My jazz band director in college did that to me once and that also works. Very frustrating at first though ;)

But you could also go completely old skool and, if your metronome has a light on it, lock in visually. My jazz band director in college did that to me once and that also works. Very frustrating at first though ;)

I was just going to suggest that! If I'm playing with a metronome, I'm usually just on a practice pad, so I don't run into sound issues. When I was learning on the kit, I used one of those old pyramid style metronomes where you actually see the arm moving (I swear I'm not 200 years old...). They make newer ones now that have lights/indicators that are even more useful as you can set different lights for up beats/downbeats. This way your ears are free to actually hear how the drums are sounding when you play.

I was just going to suggest that! If I'm playing with a metronome, I'm usually just on a practice pad, so I don't run into sound issues. When I was learning on the kit, I used one of those old pyramid style metronomes where you actually see the arm moving (I swear I'm not 200 years old...). They make newer ones now that have lights/indicators that are even more useful as you can set different lights for up beats/downbeats. This way your ears are free to actually hear how the drums are sounding when you play.

I have an older Boss Dr. Beat that I'v had for 20 years now, and it has lights, and sound and a digital read-out of the BPMs - and I swear when I run it on speaker, it's painfully loud. You could get one of those and not use headphones too ;)

Back