depping

moojii

Hey

I have been asked by my brothers band to dep for them this Saturday.

Gotta learn 37, 60s classics by then.

Doable?

Yes, very doable.

I could play 37, 60s classics using only two, maybe three different rhythm patterns.

A typical 60's tune is 3 minutes long, so 37 of them takes about.... 2 hours. Assuming you listen and practice to each tune 10 times = 20 hours. Plenty of time... you'll even have time to sleep and eat.

Yes, very doable. I could play 37, 60s classics using only two, maybe three different rhythm patterns..

That's kinda true. With oldies, it's less about parts and more about structure and arrangement - intros, stops, pushes, & endings - and most '60s songs are pretty straight ahead with few surprises.

If you were old, you'd be able to do 137 of these kind of songs with zero practice. :)

Yeah, I wasn't gonna say it, but that's very true. :) Growing up with that music when it was new helps embeds those songs in our souls forever. I can play songs I've never played before, and as long as I've actually heard it and am at least somewhat familiar with it, sound like I've been playing it forever. It happens all the time, and I'm rarely stumped.

Conversely, I'm not nearly as familiar with new rock and pop, and the younger players who are growing up with them now will be the much sought-after 'oldies' drummers of the future.

But that's why some of the busiest cover bands are older players, let's say 45+, because they know and play the '60/70s songs in a more authentic way than the 'kids' could normally do, without a lot of practice and dedication to the old ways. Meaning, the players need to immerse themselves in the original versions of the songs - listen to the Kinks' "You Really Got Me", not the Van Halen or Boingo versions! - and the players need to bring appropriate gear (the drummer should not bring a bop kit on an oldies/classic gig!)

Bermuda

Thanks guys

I just needed a bit of reassuring.

I know 85% even though I have never played any. The beats are easy, it's just getting the structures down pat.

Back