Ist gig done...underwhelming

Way to go Mary!!

Sounds like your singer might be a touch insecure...prob worried you might have negative feedback to give.

So this seems to be the dynamic of the band. You want to improve, and everyone else doesn't know what you're talking about. Lol. Patterns in bands (and relationships) are set early on. It's clear what the pattern of this band is. It will continue to frustrate you, because you care more about actually working on rough spots then the others do apparently. Maybe take the next 3 weeks and look around. You need to find people who are more in line with your amount of commitment and caring. You've outgrown this band already. That was quick lol. Maybe check out open mics and start to network. Or answer ads in music shops and CL. Your current band is a bit lackadaisical it seems. No sense in getting upset over that, you can't change anyone but yourself. I really am tickled over how much you care about it. It's awesome. You are doing yourself proud.

So this seems to be the dynamic of the band. You want to improve, and everyone else doesn't know what you're talking about. Lol. Patterns in bands (and relationships) are set early on. It's clear what the pattern of this band is. It will continue to frustrate you, because you care more about actually working on rough spots then the others do apparently. Maybe take the next 3 weeks and look around. You need to find people who are more in line with your amount of commitment and caring. You've outgrown this band already. That was quick lol. Maybe check out open mics and start to network. Or answer ads in music shops and CL. Your current band is a bit lackadaisical it seems. No sense in getting upset over that, you can't change anyone but yourself. I really am tickled over how much you care about it. It's awesome. You are doing yourself proud.

^^^^ For sure.

Also, one giant take away from all of this is a higher level filter now that you can use on the next go around. There are a million lazy musicians. Or, at least musicians who do not have the desire for quality like you are expressing. You've acquired the much needed filter and are assembling the elements of what type of people you are interested in making music with and being around. Much of it is trying to find that common denominator to make things tick. Now you are able to go out there saying "what I don't want" - which is as much important as knowing what you do want. Sorry if this is mumbling and not making much sense. Been a long day already.

I have already began scouring Craigslist ads. I just don't think I'm going to be happy with these girls. They aren't bad people, just not on the same plane as I am when it comes to the way they approach music. I haven't said anything to them and won't until something else gels. The boyfriend is considering starting a band with me which would be great since we know each other's tastes and his skill level would definitely push mine. He just has to figure out if his hearing problems can handle it. If not, we'll keep looking. I really want more chances to gig and get out there. The challenge of playing live music is really appealing and I loved having to learn to adjust on the fly. (I know, I know, you all told me this but I had to experience it for myself...lol. I'm stubborn like that). All I know is that this is something I have to do and eventually it will happen :)

However they just informed me they don't have any time over the next 3 weeks (first I'm hearing of this). so I figure it will be a month or so before we even see each other again.

Given this, in my estimation you will never see them again.
New c/list ads or local jams will bring what you're looking for but it takes time.

I have already began scouring Craigslist ads. I just don't think I'm going to be happy with these girls. They aren't bad people, just not on the same plane as I am when it comes to the way they approach music. I haven't said anything to them and won't until something else gels. The boyfriend is considering starting a band with me which would be great since we know each other's tastes and his skill level would definitely push mine. He just has to figure out if his hearing problems can handle it. If not, we'll keep looking. I really want more chances to gig and get out there. The challenge of playing live music is really appealing and I loved having to learn to adjust on the fly. (I know, I know, you all told me this but I had to experience it for myself...lol. I'm stubborn like that). All I know is that this is something I have to do and eventually it will happen :)

Good grief, Mary, your enthusiasm is almost enough to make me want to gig more! Almost.

I think you have things pretty well worked out. It makes sense to keep your options open. It's obvious that you and the others are on a different wavelength but at this stage all experience is good experience. In my time I've played in bands with all manner of naive, superficial, pushy, lazy, deluded, addicted and psychotic musicians. Heck, I've been all those things myself! At this early stage you should rarely be saying no to gigs - it's all good experience. The good thing is you wake up with respect intact :)

Anyway, it seems like your crew are low maintenance so you can comfortably handle an extra band like the one planned with your partner, ears permitting.

This is priceless... Not me, I'll let Mary enjoy it.

Oh, I'm just a bit keyed up because I played out last Sunday :) First time in maybe a year and it was a lot of fun. If I gigged as much as Mr-I-Don't-Want-to-Gig-but-I-end-up-gigging-anyway I'd be exhausted :)

Mary, best not listen to us jaded folks who have poured our hearts and souls into fleapits too many times ...

I just came from a fleapit. It also was underwhelming until the very end of the night. It was a small stage, we have 2 drummer, and I was crammed in there like a sardine in a can. We played really good, but the turnout wasn't all that great. Didn't make any money. But, at the end of the night we scored a gig tomorrow at a biker party. We're talking about real bikers. Free beer? Free bbq? Oh ya! We're in. We can possibly parlay this into many Harley biker events, and they pay good. So, you never know what could come out of it if you just show up and play your heart out. We'll see.

Oh, I'm just a bit keyed up because I played out last Sunday :) First time in maybe a year and it was a lot of fun.
Did the Guru go out with you?

We can possibly parlay this into many Harley biker events, and they pay good.
Fun = yes, & great pay too. We do at least 3 a year. One next saturday actually. Great stage (see some of our videos), & a good size crowd too. The one we're doing in October is around 6,000 audience - not that shabby :)

But wait - there are risks - you're likely to be persuaded to join in extra curricular activities such as this:

Warning: Less than attractive male flesh display!!!! (thankfully, I'm the one at the back left with the black Tshirt on (read-sensible). Cheered on by our crew (FU Tshirts on) & my wife (black handbag), our lead singer partnering opposite me. Yes, this is the gig where I took part in the much reported chilli eating competition too :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_imSnsAL-k

I think two things could be resolved in one small act. Turning off the TV behind you will not only force a bigger audience, but the back light from a TV is usually pretty bright and the house lights may be just enough to let the band be seen.

Oh, you were having lots of fun that day. Looks like he got you a couple times with a nice raw egg. Pretty cool stuff. Thanks for sharing.
Yes, the reason I kept my Tshirt on was there's no shower facility, & raw egg isn't exactly pleasant after a few hours. We did manage to find a (very cold) hosepipe for dousing down though :) Funny video clip. I only found it online today!

Sorry Mary - somehow, I can't see you subscribing to that gigging scene, or at least, not the "egg roulette" competition. Imagine the damage to your leopard skin gear! That said, if I remember correctly, you do have a bike :)

I'm kind of a snob when it comes to my "bike". I consider myself a motorcyclist, not a biker chick which I just think conjures up the wrong image. So, no, I don't think the whole egg thing would be my cup of tea :)

I'm kind of a snob when it comes to my "bike". I consider myself a motorcyclist, not a biker chick which I just think conjures up the wrong image. So, no, I don't think the whole egg thing would be my cup of tea :)
You watched the video? --- brave! Actually Mary, sans eggs, I'm pretty sure you'd love those gigs. We're playing again next week, so you can judge for yourself when I get some footage up :)

i love everything about this show from the set list(s) to the venue, to the the sound quality (what mic does your singer use ?)...excellent sound....to the singers voice, to your beat...to the impromptu set adjustments, playing songs you've never heard on the fly...

no one got killed...hopefully everybody got paid...one friend showed up...

that sounds about right.

things seem to be under control here. carry on.

and welcome to show business. ya done good. : )

band photo.

I reckon you are being pretty hard on yourself Mary. Like the previous posters have said, your time was pretty solid and the groove was good. If the band had some bad moments in some of the songs, just rehearse a bit to get things ironed out. Overall good job though.

Back