Drum set instruction book recommendations

jpritch2

I am looking for drum set instruction book suggestions.

I have tried several for a student, (junior high, very coordinated, fair reading skills, average hand chops for age.... but they always are either too easy or too hard.

I am trying the Groove Essentials , which I really like, but is a tad too challenging for this level player.

Any suggestions for a book that is not too easy but would work well with a juni
or high player.

thanks!
jpritch2

The new edition of Mark Wessels book with Stanton Moore looks quite good. Mark's books, in general, are quite good (in my opinion). Check out this page for more information about the book.

-- Bobby

Which Groove Essentials version are you using?

I would be surprised if Groove Essentials 1.0 is too much if you start at the beginning.

With that said, I always recommend "Basic Drumming" by Joel Rothman. Best overall drum book for the beginner, imo.

The new edition of Mark Wessels book with Stanton Moore looks quite good. Mark's books, in general, are quite good (in my opinion). Check out this page for more information about the book.

-- Bobby

thanks, I will check it out.

Which Groove Essentials version are you using?

I would be surprised if Groove Essentials 1.0 is too much if you start at the beginning.

With that said, I always recommend "Basic Drumming" by Joel Rothman. Best overall drum book for the beginner, imo.

We have been using GE#1, but I will definitely look at the Rothman book as well.
thankyou.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like Dave Weckl's "Ultimate Play-a-long for beginners".

Groove Essentials is also great.

I like using the tracks as backing tracks for various things like technique, reading and independence. Builds a very different kind of awareness.

Things I'd start with would be the first rock grooves with my own variations, some shuffles, slow swing, one drop, two beat, train beat and slowly building up a 2nd line groove. A bit of samba BD never hurt anyone either.

Hands Grooves and Fills by Pat Petrillo

With all do respect, I do NOT recommend this for a beginner if they are finding that Groove Essentials 1.0 is too challenging.

Please do not confuse my post - HG&F is a phenomenal package... but I think it is best suited for the next step. I don't think a full beginner will get the value out of it quite yet.

Pat Petrillo's book is pretty hard stuff, and is not an end in itself.

Use the play-a-long as a supplement to more traditional approaches using a reading page adding rudiments into the mix and so on. Sometimes use some pages from Pat's latest DVD for this or whatever. You can make one yourself It depends on what I feel will work for the student.

For new ideas to compliment the basic materials I use I've found Jack Bennett's lessons quite useful, along with the Learn and Master Series.

With all do respect, I do NOT recommend this for a beginner if they are finding that Groove Essentials 1.0 is too challenging.

Please do not confuse my post - HG&F is a phenomenal package... but I think it is best suited for the next step. I don't think a full beginner will get the value out of it quite yet.

OK. If you say so. I don't know enough about books that are available, but I wouldn't have recommended it if I didn't think it would be a good book for him. It's not that hard to figure out.

Back