Metal, which metal?

resohead

Silver Member
How many 'different types' of metal are there and what's the difference?

For starters:

hmngp9.jpg

This could take a while to process! :)

Folk festival. HAHA!!

How many 'different types' of metal are there and what's the difference?

Great question! As of right now, there are 86 known metals. Their properties vary widely, and there are multiple different groups: Alkali metals, Alkaline earth metals, Transition metals, Post-transition metals, Lanthanides, and Actinides; as well as a group of elements that are possibly metals, and some that are only sometimes considered metals.

A metal is essentially a sea of delocalized electrons surrounding a group of positive ions. They are generally good conductors of electricity and heat, usually reflect most incident light, and are malleable most of the time. Each metal has its own unique properties, so for me to actually describe the difference would take a very long time! Suffice it to say that metals can do lots of things; sodium ions are used in the process of transmitting nerve impulses, gold can be hammered into a film that is only one atom thick, and mercury is a liquid at room temperature! There are many differences indeed!

Wait, you were... ooooooooh, MUSIC. Darn, I suck at this forum thing...

The best all inclusive and interactive online source for defining the 1001 variations is:

mapofmetal.com

It shows how every sub-genres is related to the next one, with numerous musical examples of every sub-genre.

The problem with this is the large amount of versatile "heavy" bands whose songs can be classified in a large number of these genres.

I still can't figure out where the hell to stick slipknot

Lamb of God is considered groove metal by many, thrash by others, Chris Adler himself has classified them as "Speed Metal" I've met many who argue that they're deathcore

I'm not naive enough to say that there aren't distinct differences in sound, theme, look, and attitude in the heavy metal world. However to split heavy metal into hundreds of sub genres is contradictory to the art that music IS and seems to ignore the concept of a band's evolution in sound between albums.

Here's a modest list:

Aluminum, Antimony, Arsenic , Barium, Beryllium, Bismuth, Boron, bronze, Cadmium, Cesium, Chromium, Cobalt, Copper, Gallium, Germanium, Gold ,Hafnium, Indium, Iridium, Iron, Lead, Lithium ,Magnesium ,Manganese ,Mercury ,Molybdenum ,Nickel, Platinum, Palladium, Rhodium, Osmium, Ruthenium, Rhenium, Rubidium, Scandium, Selenium, Silver, Strontium, Tantalum, Tellurium, Thallium Thorium, Tin, Titanium, Tungsten, Vanadium, Zinc, Zirconium

Base metals : a metal that oxidizes easily and reacts with HCL to form hydrogen. ex. iron, zinc, nickel

-Alloys : An alloy is a mixture of two or more elements in solid solution in which the major component is a metal. Ex. brass ( copper+zinc ), steel ( iron +carbon )

-Noble metals : metals that are resistant to corrosion. Ex. Rhodium, platinum

-Precious metals : rare metals of high economic value. Ex. Gold, silver, platinum

This is very general, but I hope it helps.

Cheers,
rjvsmb

Strangely enough, in this thread so far, there's no mention of symphonic metal, such as Nightwish, Within Temptations or Sirenia, just to name a few, but it's a very popular style of metal, generally with a female lead vocal. :)

A Nightwish sample: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VF0BlXP-0Y

I like With-In Temptation and Sienia.

I saw With-In Temptation open for Lacuna Coil once, and they were amazing live.

I can't get into Nightwish though. Super talented grooup, but their song writing leaves me cold.

Here's a modest list:

Aluminum, Antimony, Arsenic , Barium, Beryllium, Bismuth, Boron, bronze, Cadmium, Cesium, Chromium, Cobalt, Copper, Gallium, Germanium, Gold ,Hafnium, Indium, Iridium, Iron, Lead, Lithium ,Magnesium ,Manganese ,Mercury ,Molybdenum ,Nickel, Platinum, Palladium, Rhodium, Osmium, Ruthenium, Rhenium, Rubidium, Scandium, Selenium, Silver, Strontium, Tantalum, Tellurium, Thallium Thorium, Tin, Titanium, Tungsten, Vanadium, Zinc, Zirconium

Base metals : a metal that oxidizes easily and reacts with HCL to form hydrogen. ex. iron, zinc, nickel

-Alloys : An alloy is a mixture of two or more elements in solid solution in which the major component is a metal. Ex. brass ( copper+zinc ), steel ( iron +carbon )

-Noble metals : metals that are resistant to corrosion. Ex. Rhodium, platinum

-Precious metals : rare metals of high economic value. Ex. Gold, silver, platinum

This is very general, but I hope it helps.

Cheers,
rjvsmb

I beat you to that joke ;)

Back