Head choice question?

A

alex - b

Hi guys,

Could you help me, i really dislike the heads i've currently got on my tama superstar's, they're REMO weatherking pinstripes. I hate the plastic sound i get when my sticks come into contact with the head (wood tip). Which heads/sticks would get rid of this and give a much warmer and richer tone to my toms.

cheers,

Alex

Anything coated will take that away. I probably wouldn't do another round of Pinstripes if you want to get richer tone since those heads are designed to inhibit resonance. Maybe try Ambassadors or Emperors.

The plasticky sound is because your tuned too low.
Yes for warmth definitely go coated. If you like to tune real low i suggest a single ply 10mil coated.

Cheera guys,

That's really helpful, i'll be sure to get some coated heads on as soon as i can, any advice as to which ones?

Anything coated will take that away. I probably wouldn't do another round of Pinstripes if you want to get richer tone since those heads are designed to inhibit resonance. Maybe try Ambassadors or Emperors.

I agree with your point, but I wouldn't say "anything" coated. The Evans "frosty" coating found on some of their heads gives an even more plasticky sound than the clears. With Evans heads I'd stick with the models (such as G1s and G2s) that have the traditional white coating.

You might want to check out the Remo Ambassador X head. It's 20% thicker than the Ambassador but still only a single ply head. I put them on my Oak Custom kit and my Ludwig 402 snare and they sound great to me. Nice resonance and warm tone. Not choked at all a nice ring and I'm using no muffling at all. There is a video on YouTube if you search Ambassador X.

Back