Gavin Harrison here!

Hi Gavin,

Just a quick thank you note for the wonderful show in Amsterdam. In contrast with your previous gig there (in June), the sound was fantastic so Im very happy.
Your playing was from out of this world, I really had some wow moments and enjoyed every bit of it.
And also a thank you for playing the Sky Moves Sideways ! I think everyone loved it.

Hope to see you guys again next year (and if possible, please book the HMH again! Its a wonderful venue with great sound and easy to travel too)

btw. did you had a chance to try out our sinterklaas stuff?

Arriving somwhere.... Dvd

Why didn't you release a live cd of this dvd? I'm just wondering. I LOVE that dvd! Great drumming! You should make a live cd out of it!

cheers!

Hi Gavin,

A quick message to say thanks for playing the UEA in Norwich last night; despite some issues with the levels during the first couple songs which were quickly rectified, the sound was excellent and easily the best I've heard at that venue. Was nice to hear Dark Matter too, sounded great.

Looking forward to Notts!

All best,
Darren

PS. I guess the Free Bird thing is going to run for a while yet!

Hello.........Gavin,

I can't wait to here you with King Crinson..one of my favorite bands with one of my
favorite drumers. What a combinaton. My question is , are you still using S-HOOPS?
how do they change the sound of the kit. Is the height of the rim closer to the level
of the head. thanks
Have a great Holiday.
Tom

Hi Pandrex

Can i ask what you are doing in this particular fill in hatesong live from the arriving somewhere DVD? Do you know which part? If so, could you explain the sticking and tom positioning in the pattern please?

I'm sorry but I don't remember that particular fill...and I don't have a copy of the DVD with me.

Hi baniels

I was wondering if it would be possible to get the same thing (a MIDI file, that is) for the backing track you used for the chapter on Resolving. Is that something you could share?

I don't have that kind of thing to hand right now - but probably on my computer at home I still have the song. However, it would be relative to the instruments I used inside Logic Pro on that particular day and would mean nothing unless you the identical setup to mine. Could you not program something very similar? I know the music I programmed was nothing special.

Hi Bube,

And which one is on the bottom?

Remo Ambassador snare side.

Hi Massik Kretal,

So Gavin is that fill (in FOABP) something you came up with from just messing around and playing the kit and you found something cool?

That particular fill is quite composed. I needed a special break for that moment in the song and so I figured it out before hand. I knew the shape I wanted it to have - 16ths (with some 32nds thrown in) and then a run up the toms in triplets for the end of it. I just kept jamming until I came up with the fill that I liked.

Hi fearofflying,

My question is , are you still using S-HOOPS?
how do they change the sound of the kit. Is the height of the rim closer to the level
of the head. thanks

Yes I am and I'm still very happy with them. Yes they have a subtle effect on the sound and I don't believe the rim height is closer to the head. It looks that way because of the design but it doesn't feel that way when you rim-shot a drum.

Cheers
Gavin

Hey Gavin,

Just wanted to thank you and the rest of the band for playing so incredibly well in Amsterdam.
It was my fifth PT gig and it just keeps on getting better!

I don't know if this has been asked before, but what exactly is the sticking for the ending of Cheating the Polygraph?
It's groupings of five, but I can't really figure out how to play it.

Cheers,

Francis

What a night. Unbelievable performance Gavin! Topped off by getting hold of Colin Edwins setlist he thew out!!

I look forward to seeing Ptree in the closer future!!

-trys

Gaving:

Just got back earlier from your Leeds Met University gig...absolutely fantastic! Thanks to yourself, the rest of the band and Anathema for a great evening!

I was stood right against the barrier in front of your kit so had the best view in the house to see you at work! I really liked the way you mix up your playing from the album a bit, your fills were awesome and your playing is tight beyond belief! I've always loved how your tricks are mind-blowing yet quite subtle and serve the music rather than being too 'showy' and over-powering, you add another dimension to PT's music!

Thanks again anyway.

P.S. I bought a signed drum skin by the band after the show for my brother for christmas, he's going to be so happy when he opens it, you're a massive inspiration to him (you managed to show him how to use double-bass tastefully!)...i was just going to get him a book or something, but i thought he might prefer the drum skin.

Have a great christmas, Thom.

Hi Gavin,

Great show last night in Leeds. I'm struggling to wipe the smile off my face. I saw one of your first shows in Newcastle back in April when FOABP was just hitting the stores, so wasn't familiar with the material. It was impressive then and it was all the more enjoyable last night to see/hear it still being played with such flair and enjoyment (considering you guys must be knackered after so many shows and so much travelling).

There were plenty of drummers in the audience last night waiting for those killer fills and chops and as always you delivered in spades.

Congratulations to you and the band. Have a great Christmas and no doubt 2008 will be an even bigger year for PT.

Mick

Last edited:
Hi ProgFron,

I don't know if this has been asked before, but what exactly is the sticking for the ending of Cheating the Polygraph?
It's groupings of five, but I can't really figure out how to play it.

It's another pattern that's very hard for me to explain without the chance to transcribe it for you. (I'll do it after the tour). It's 5/8 but I'm playing 16th note triplets. Once you see it written down it's quite simple.

trysthedrummer, thom_barnes, mixamuss

thanks for the kind words, I'm glad you enjoyed the show!!!

cheers
Gavin

Hi Gavin, just wanted to say that I absolutely loved the show the other night in Manchester, even though I did spend the last half hour sat out in the stage exit area due to passing out through dehydration. I must say you all seemed rather determined in your exit from the venue, Steven only briefly shook my friend's hand while passing. I guess you'll have all been feeling a little worn down with the heavy touring though. Anyway, thanks to you and the guys for a great show, especially liked the little addition to Open Car. Maybe next time I see Porcupine Tree on tour I'll make it through a whole set.

Good morning Gavin,
no questions for you, just a big thank you for a great show last night in Nottingham. I was gobsmacked at your timing and the ease at which you changed. Incredible technique and a joy to behold.
I mentioned elsewhere that it was like being at a Rush gig where a large portion of the audience were there to see the drummer. After every fill, heads turned with nods of approval and open-mouthed astonishment with looks on their faces that read ,'What did he just do there???'.

It was the late and very great Paul (Brookie) Brook, formerly of this very forum, who pointed me in your direction. I have this among many other things to thank Paul for.

Cheers again Gavin and all the very best for the rest of the tour.

Dave Courage

Gavin,

Great gig at Nottingham last night, cheers !

Quick question (totally non-drumming related)...what was it you found so funny during the start of 'Mellotron Scratch' ? :)

Gaz

Last edited:
Gavin,

Great gig at Nottingham last night, cheers !

Quick question (totally non-drumming related)...what was it you found so funny during the start of 'Mellotron Scratch' ? :)

Gaz

Gaz, I got the impression that it wasn't on the set list and took some of the band by surprise.

Gaz, I got the impression that it wasn't on the set list and took some of the band by surprise.

Sounds plausible :) Mind you they all seemed fairly jolly last night...the joys of nearing the end of a Dylan style never-ending tour, I suppose !!

Last edited:
Hi Gavin,

I see you're going to be involved with King Crimson which is great news. Do you have any other collaborations and/or albums planned in the New Year?

Back