Gospel Linear Fill w/ Lindsay Artkop

Ah! Another one we can apply to shuffles and waltzes ;)

What would be cool is if you showed this in a musical context, like how well it will work within a song like "I heard it through the grapevine".

Same thing as with the other one. At 80bpm you were playing 8ths instead of 16ths. At 110 you went to 16ths.

Wow, not one nice comment. I'm sorry Lindsay, drummerworld is clearly not your target market.

Bo, of all the self indulgent attention seeking rubbish you post on here you should have more tolerance for different approaches.

And Alain, I am not really big on these types of fills but I think she played it as well as anyone could.

-1 for the tired old users of drummerworld

Lindsayanne, you are an inspiration. Thanks for posting this.

And Alain, I am not really big on these types of fills but I think she played it as well as anyone could.

Ok, as a "tired old user of drummerworld", I'm not going to shy away from saying it as I see it. Nor am I purporting to offer anything better.

1st up, I like Lindsay & her "can do" enthusiasm for drumming. She's a trier, & has good skills too. She enriches this place with her presence.

But, this lesson. I have to agree with Alain (a drummer of huge skill & experience BTW) to some degree. Lindsay, I find your opening "in groove" example of the fill to be slightly rushed, but more importantly, when you offer examples at lower BPM, you're not in time with the click. On this occasion, your micro timing isn't good at slower tempos, & I suspect it's because you're not used to playing the fill that slowly.

Of course, If you were just throwing up some of your playing for the pleasure of others, non of this is an issue, but if you're offering "lessons", there's a duty to absolutely nail it. By offering instruction, & (to a lesser extent) highlighting your success in the Hit like a Girl competition, you're placing yourself on a "professional" pedestal. Accordingly, a very high standard is expected.

I hope you can take my thoughts in the spirit in which they're given.

Andy.

I for one like this type of stuff.

It's always fun to learn a new phrase or two, and it takes some nerve to put yourself out there.

Nice going Lindsay.

Bo, of all the self indulgent attention seeking rubbish you post on here you should have more tolerance for different approaches.

Wow. Somebody's sensitivity knob is cranked to 11...

Really, you didn't get the part where I said I was being sarcastic? And if not for my own self-indulgent rubbish, what else is the internet good for? Why would any of us actually be here?

My question wasn't about the fill itself, but the application of said fill. In my college days it was always about "how does any of what I'm playing apply to the music that's being played" mentality. That's the only thing I'm hinting at with Lindsay. I did say it would be cool to hear the fill played within the confines of some music.

Lighten up, Duck.

Thanks for the nice comments ;-) I don't see myself as a tired and old person at all. I don't participate much in the forum, although I read some messages and try to participate in a positive way whenever I can.

There's many posts that I don't like, and I normally don't say anything if I can't find anything nice to say !

There was nothing mean in what I said to Lindsay. I remember seeing some of her previous videos from a long time ago, and I think she's come a long way.

I didn't find this pattern to be particularly interesting, it's just a pattern.
Then I thought she almost made it sound good when she played it slowly, and I didn't like it when she played it fast.

Like I said, I think she should practice it slowly and make it sound better before she plays it fast, and especially before she gives lectures on it ;-) No offense Lindsay!

Thanks for the nice comments ;-) I don't see myself as a tired and old person at all. I don't participate much in the forum, although I read some messages and try to participate in a positive way whenever I can.

There's many posts that I don't like, and I normally don't say anything if I can't find anything nice to say !

There was nothing mean in what I said to Lindsay. I remember seeing some of her previous videos from a long time ago, and I think she's come a long way.

I didn't find this pattern to be particularly interesting, it's just a pattern.
Then I thought she almost made it sound good when she played it slowly, and I didn't like it when she played it fast.

Like I said, I think she should practice it slowly and make it sound better before she plays it fast, and especially before she gives lectures on it ;-) No offense Lindsay!

Hey Douchebag,

Read your original post...it's completely condescending and then ended with exclamation points. "...until you can actually make it sound good!!!". You think that's worth contributing? There's a way to give helpful advice without being condescending or passive aggressive.

I think you and Keep It Simple should post a video with you both giving the lesson on the fill.

Rob

Really, you didn't get the part where I said I was being sarcastic? And if not for my own self-indulgent rubbish, what else is the internet good for? Why would any of us actually be here?

Well, you pretty much gave me that one. Thanks for the sig. It's amazing that you can't see what's wrong with that sentence.

My question wasn't about the fill itself, but the application of said fill. In my college days it was always about "how does any of what I'm playing apply to the music that's being played" mentality. That's the only thing I'm hinting at with Lindsay. I did say it would be cool to hear the fill played within the confines of some music.

Lighten up, Duck.

She wanted to focus on the fill itself, I'm sure she could use this fill in a musical context, it's only you that's casting doubt on her ability to do so and that is just plainly condescending.

Andy + Alan, you're both smart guys, I'm sure you could see how that comment can be taken the wrong way. Rob gets it.

There's a way to give helpful advice without being condescending or passive aggressive.

I think you and Keep It Simple should post a video with you both giving the lesson on the fill.

Rob

Nor am I purporting to offer anything better.

Andy.
Rob, I have no wish to fall out with you, or anyone else. I fail to see how my post could be any more honest & positive. Additionally, I'm not putting myself out there as an educator - frankly, I'm not even close to possessing the skill set.

Lindsay asked for feedback in her OP, & I responded respectfully in the context of the video title: Insane Linear Lick DRUM Lesson!! w/ Hit Like a Girl Champion - Lindsay Artkop.

I'm not seing anything "insane" about the fill or the lesson. A less flashy "used car salesman" title would work better in my opinion.

Need to slow it wayyy down, stay real loose and exaggerate the motions. 40-60bpm and stay there for at least a few days and weeks and for long periods. Then the notes will lie more comfortably and smoothly at higher bpm's. Cool linear fill though.

Back