Beater keeps hitting me on the foot?

icedgreece

Title says it all.

I swear, after a double kick (Example; Nightmare - A7X), theres a spot on my foot that is red and aches for days. It's from the beater hitting my foot, and I don't know what to do.

I moved the beater down, but then I just completely lost all the power and sound I want. I have longboard pedals, so it's harder to hit the pedal on the very edge of the bottom. I was just wondering if you guys had the same problem and how you fixed it?

Thanks.

Have you tried adjusting the angle of your beaters? Most bass pedals have an adjustable lug connected to the cam. By loosening that lug, you can adjust the angle of the beater. Try moving it closer to the bass drum head. You'll have to play around to find the "sweet spot" for your playing style, but you should be able to move it far enough forward to prevent the beater from rebounding and hitting you in the foot.

Have you tried adjusting the angle of your beaters? Most bass pedals have an adjustable lug connected to the cam. By loosening that lug, you can adjust the angle of the beater. Try moving it closer to the bass drum head. You'll have to play around to find the "sweet spot" for your playing style, but you should be able to move it far enough forward to prevent the beater from rebounding and hitting you in the foot.

So, you're saying, adjust the angle of the beater? Say it's 80 degrees back, I can change it to say, 45 degrees? I can take a look for it. The Manuals are all in, Korean and don't mention much about specs. I'm sure they would have it.

I also may be getting a Rack here soon, so that may help with positioning.

its 80 degrees back? who do you think you are Dave Lombardo? LOL, 45 degrees is optimal but you will need to find what works for you.

its 80 degrees back? who do you think you are Dave Lombardo? LOL, 45 degrees is optimal but you will need to find what works for you.

Hahaha, just an example. I'm a hard hitter, so I need that extra "thump" in my bass drums. I need to improve on my double bass, but it's hard when the damn beater hit you every 6th note.

Try not to lift your foot off the footboard after a stroke, if you do that, the beater will throw all the way back, I had the same problem (use about 60 degrees angle), controlling the footboard helps with this issue.

So, you're saying, adjust the angle of the beater? Say it's 80 degrees back, I can change it to say, 45 degrees? I can take a look for it. The Manuals are all in, Korean and don't mention much about specs. I'm sure they would have it.

I also may be getting a Rack here soon, so that may help with positioning.

Yes, you should be able to adjust the distance of your beater to the bass drum head. If you look above the spring, there should be a lug on the side that, when loosened, will allow the cam to move back and forth, which changes the angle of the beater.

I tried to make a quick image here:
BeaterAdjustment.png

Pedals can vary a lot, but I think this is the most common design.

What type of pedal do you have?

i had the same problem with my dw's,i took the thing apart and put it back together. the best solution IMO just scoot your throne back about two inches,and move your cymbals a litte closer.

Try not to lift your foot off the footboard after a stroke, if you do that, the beater will throw all the way back, I had the same problem (use about 60 degrees angle), controlling the footboard helps with this issue.

My foot is always on the board, just my heel comes off the rear.

Yes, you should be able to adjust the distance of your beater to the bass drum head. If you look above the spring, there should be a lug on the side that, when loosened, will allow the cam to move back and forth, which changes the angle of the beater.

I tried to make a quick image here:
BeaterAdjustment.png

Pedals can vary a lot, but I think this is the most common design.

What type of pedal do you have?

Tama Speed Cobra.

2-2-800.jpg

By doing this, would I not have reduced power upon hitting the drum? (I have 2 of these; X2 bass drums)

Haha, sweet.

Yeah. Well right now I had to tape my stands to the ground, and they are all the way up. Which is why I'm strongly considering of getting a rack.

i had the same problem with my dw's,i took the thing apart and put it back together. the best solution IMO just scoot your throne back about two inches,and move your cymbals a litte closer.

Adjustments on your pedals is always a trade off. You can adjust for a loss in "power" from the reduced angle by lengthening the beater itself. Insert the beater at a taller height, and it will help compensate for the shorter throw angle.

To be honest, I don't think the throw angle will affect your power very noticeably. Most of your power comes from your body, not the pedal itself. I'm a wimp though, because I'd gladly trade a tiny bit of power for not getting beat up by my own pedals! LOL

I would say to just experiment, and play around with the various settings available to you. You have a great set of pedals, with a lot of adjustment options, like spring tension, beater angle and beater length. Just make an adjustment to one of them, play for a bit, and see how it feels. I would strongly encourage only changing one thing at a time, or else it will be difficult to figure what's helping, and what's hurting. :)

The speed cobra's beater is too far back at the factory setting imo. It hit my foot as well. I moved the beater holder forward by one notch.

You won't lose any power and you'll gain control. The instructions are probably in Japanese, not Korean.

Adjustments on your pedals is always a trade off. You can adjust for a loss in "power" from the reduced angle by lengthening the beater itself. Insert the beater at a taller height, and it will help compensate for the shorter throw angle.

To be honest, I don't think the throw angle will affect your power very noticeably. Most of your power comes from your body, not the pedal itself. I'm a wimp though, because I'd gladly trade a tiny bit of power for not getting beat up by my own pedals! LOL

I would say to just experiment, and play around with the various settings available to you. You have a great set of pedals, with a lot of adjustment options, like spring tension, beater angle and beater length. Just make an adjustment to one of them, play for a bit, and see how it feels. I would strongly encourage only changing one thing at a time, or else it will be difficult to figure what's helping, and what's hurting. :)

Haha, yeah. Before I had tightened the springs, but after doing what you told me I actually feel more power, since I'm not scared my equipment will beat me up anymore. The spring is really loose now, not a lot of tension, and the beater I moved up about a good, 15 degrees. It is really more comfortable and I can go a tad faster as well. Now, it's time for a new rack and new Cymbals!

The speed cobra's beater is too far back at the factory setting imo. It hit my foot as well. I moved the beater holder forward by one notch.

For sure. My DW's came way more up.

You won't lose any power and you'll gain control. The instructions are probably in Japanese, not Korean.

Yeah. When I went to order one of the two I have, it was from the factory or somewhere around there. Estimated 3 months until the next shipment, so I just ordered one from a music store a city 3 hours away. I would have waited the 6 months, though. These pedals are amazing.

Thanks guys!

I've always played with a fairly low tension. I find it's actually easier to get more dynamic control with a looser pedal because you're not working 'against' it. I'm not a 'power' player as such, but I can do loud just fine and that wouldn't be quite as easy if I had cranked pedal tension.

Title says it all.

I swear, after a double kick (Example; Nightmare - A7X), theres a spot on my foot that is red and aches for days. It's from the beater hitting my foot, and I don't know what to do.

I moved the beater down, but then I just completely lost all the power and sound I want. I have longboard pedals, so it's harder to hit the pedal on the very edge of the bottom. I was just wondering if you guys had the same problem and how you fixed it?

Thanks.

I had this problem for a while. I replaced my beaters with DW ones... But there were way too heavy - Thats when the problem started. I then bought new pearl double sided beaters (much lighter) - Problem solved. As other posters have said, try changing the angle of your beaters...

Back