Kumu four piece.

I think the rim of the drums are made of wood? Are they prone to dent?

Correct, they're made of birch. The snare's hoop has chipped very slightly during the three years I've played rim shots on it, and the tom rims have some virtually invisible stick marks. The problem is mainly cosmetic, but I can see how a more heavy handed player could play through a wood hoop in a few years -- after all, certain players are known for cracking die-cast hoops!

Watching your videos has made me very jealous of one of your rides.

It's in your Hoppin' over the fence vid: http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=41NVK-c_x2E&feature=related

What's the ride you start out on? Some sort of K, is the it the Dry Light? I absolutely love it.

Kit sounds gold too (Kumu, but the Acousticon's not far off the mark either). Love your Nawlins stuff.

That is a beautiful kit but the cannon size hole in the bass drum just makes me sick. Not to mention the total overall tone of the kick drum is out the window,...or should I say hole!

That is a beautiful kit but the cannon size hole in the bass drum just makes me sick. Not to mention the total overall tone of the kick drum is out the window,...or should I say hole!
Look up some of his videos on youtube, (might still be in his signature) all of his drums sound amazing, including his bass drum.

A hole in the drum's shell has a miniscule effect on the drum's sound, whereas perforating the resonant head cuts resonance, tone and low end substantially. Please check out my videos before making such assumptions.

Wow man, what an exquisite finish on those drums!

Kumu is soooo ace...If I'd ever leave Yamaha, it would be for Kumu drums. Lovely sound and looks...

Just linked to this from the 4 piece thread.

What a fantastic, unique looking and sounding kit. I particularly like the snare sound.

You must be very, very happy with it?

Oh yes, I am indeed!

Do you have your name written inside each Drum?

Do you think it would be crazy, to sell:

22x18
16x14
16x14
14x10
12x6
10x5
8x4

Maple Pro M drum Kit, for a Kumu Snare Drum? I'm torn.... I'm sure it is worth it.

Your a Kumu owner.. what do you think?

Do you have your name written inside each Drum?

Yes.

Do you think it would be crazy, to sell:

22x18
16x14
16x14
14x10
12x6
10x5
8x4

Maple Pro M drum Kit, for a Kumu Snare Drum?

Yes.

To be more specific, Kumus are fine snare drums-- mine's the finest snare I've ever played -- but in the end they are just snare drums. Can you imagine yourself playing a two piece for an extended period of time? Sure, it's fun and helpful up to a point, but you will start craving for some additional dustbins after a while. I think you should postpone your purchase and just save up for the snare -- or an entire kit!

Now, if you had access to another full kit (at least a four-piece), selling a kit for a super-duper snare might be a nice idea to consider.

About time u put up some more playing, J... I miss listening to that right foot...on dah kumu

Last edited:
Very nice man! First Kumu set I've ever seen. My only idea would be matching cherry stain wood RIMS the suspension attachment part obviously. This is a killer for sure!

About time u put up some more playing... I miss listening to that right foot...on dah kumu

My kit is out of reach at the moment, but if all goes well, I should get some recordings done during next summer. There is a new video available, but that was played on a measly set of Premiers (and that's the only reason why the attempted slo-mo Portnoy fill failed miserably... Honest to Gadd!).

My right foot is getting a lot of exercise these days, so stay tuned...

My kit is out of reach at the moment, but if all goes well, I should get some recordings done during next summer. There is a new video available, but that was played on a measly set of Premiers (and that's the only reason why the attempted slo-mo Portnoy fill failed miserably... Honest to Gadd!).

My right foot is getting a lot of exercise these days, so stay tuned...

Mine too..am trying a lot of stuff with it..Trying CHambers 'Otay' which is a fast triplet based groove with the first two notes on the BD and the third on the Hat..

Ya I like the 'soul' of your right foot ; )

PS- Nice fill ides on Butter & Rum...

*Bump*

This topic has finally convinced me, I'm getting one. Definitely. Woodhoops and all.

Back