Travis Barker

Stitch Kaboodle said:
Let's face it: Travis is today's Ringo.

Please please please ellaborate.

I can't see Travis showing enough restraint in "Come Together" to play just bass drum notes in the one section...or playing the simple triplets on the hihats then down the toms. Restraint is not Travis' forte, and restraint IS Ringo.

Ringo plays for the music, Travis plays a beat regardless of the music.

I have a feeling he's talking in terms of popularity. In getting people, alot of people, excited about drumming just as Ringo did in his day. Nothing to do with the music or styles of the two, because as we all know they really couldn't be more opposite of each other.

although not a fan of Barker (or blink 182) i certainly hope he makes a full recovery.it could be something more than i freak accident if (God forbid) it's a tumor. remember the pitcher for the baseball Giants a few years ago broke his arm pitching in a game and they discovered a tumor. i wish Travis the best.

Yeah I totally agree! But whats really impressing me is that he played the whole european tour, maybe 10 concerts or somethin', with his briken arm. And I have been to the concert in cologne, and he was playing as hard as always although he had so much pain(He says this on his myspace). When I saw him drumming i had never expected that his arm is broken! And I totally hope its not a tumor that would be so sad. I wish Travis the best as well!!!

mediocrefunkybeat said:
Where's your supporting evidence? Which songs does Tré suck on?

'thats MY opinion i know some people may not like it and some yes but thats what i think you gotta respect me.'

I don't agree with your opinion... but why should I respect? You make no clear argument as to why Travis is so good.

Dude Travis leaned Blink's hole set of 22 songs from Cheshire Cat and Dude Ranch in just a few hours to perform that night! That's not easy to do man, who cares whether you think Blink's drums aren't good or not it's still hard and it's amazing that he did that and how much Blink improoved after he joined them.....He's MADE a NAME for him self. So if you don't like him... then just lay off ok and stop being so critical about him.

drummerboy147 said:
To be honest i like Travis Barker. I enjoy Blink 182 even though they can hardly string a guitar line together but hey they're catchy! Im 13 and have only started drumming and although i like him, he is nothing special. I have heard many better, like Buddy Rich, Mike Portnoy, Steve Gadd etc. but you can't say he has no skills, otherwise he wouldnt be where he is today.

What do you mean he's nothing special! Travis is what made Blink 182 BIG! He changed them to what made them famous with Enema of the State, Take off Your Pants and Jacket, and the Untitled one. He's an amazing drummer who's got lot's of skill and experience! And your right that's why he is where he is today, the BEST Punk/Rock drummer!

gusty said:
broken arm huh? he must drum hard

No I'll be a drummer thank you

Jeremy Perfection said:
Sorry but this guy is overrated :(

No he's not overrated! He's a great drummer, who's got good rhythms and makes good sounds. That's why so many people like him...... if you don't like him lay off him and go enjoy your "better" tastes of drums.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey people, my first comment!

I personally think Travis is good, not the best though. I bet you can all agree he plays very good for the style of music Blink-182 are/were.

For pop-punk most drummers are far more simplistic, I think travis' solos are fairly boring to be honest, even though I am a fan. I think his talent lies more in the song, and how his drum parts fit perfectly towards the song.

Listen to Take off your pants and jacket, alot of the songs (mainly not the singles) are amazingly good for a pop punk drummer. Who knows what he could do in a thrash metal band? No one! He did come from a jazz umbringing I recall, which means he is versatile!

P.S I'm amazed this topic has gone on for so long! I think if you don't like him, stop bitching and like what you like:))

Keep rocking people!

Sorry i gotta get in on this. Travis Barker is a very good Drummer In my opinion. The problem is with most ppl, is they only hear him in blink 182. He had to play punk for the last few years of his life. He was brought up playing Jazz, and is a very technical drummer. I have heard him play a jazz solo once, and i was blown away, he can rock out, and then mellow out as well. Plus his corps drumming is Very good. And he used single DW pedal for a long time, but recently has swithed to Double pedals. in His perfomance on the tonight show with blink,he used his left foot the whole time.

drummer master dave he hasnt switched to double pedals, he only did for a while coz he had broken his right foot. he has now broken his right arm and is playing one handed using his left hand to play cymbals and his left foot to play snare(trigger pad).

Im sorry but he is using double pedals. In the show i saw him with double pedals, he was using his left foot for the bass, and then his right foot for a small 12 inch hi hat control and the other side. But i do know he had broke his foot. I think what i was tryin to get at is he isnt a stranger to them. He can playh them, and im sure if the style asked for it, he could show us all how good he could be at them!

TBH trav isnt actually that fast if u compare him to for example eric sandler (nofx) or the rev (avenged sevenfold). Despite of this the music that blink 182 wrote didnt exactly need to be all out click perfect and rymthm etc. the drumming sounded good in any blink 182 album and did alot too the music. for his genre he is a quality drummer and has inspired lots of kids to pick up sticks and start to learn the drums
OCTO

I agree with OCTO on this one. I think that his drumming fit the music. There isn't one blink song that I could see straight notes on a bass drum fitting in. Also he is well versed there are plenty of interviews where he states he did study plenty of jazz and funk, however he does not enjoy playing those styles as much. Also,not to sound defensive, but I like his drumming a lot on the transplants album.

I agree with OCTO on this one. I think that his drumming fits the music. There isn't one blink song that I could see straight notes on a bass drum fitting in. Also, he is well versed in jazz and latin there are plenty of interviews where he states he did study plenty of jazz and latin rhythems, however he does not enjoy playing those styles as much. Also,not to sound defensive, but I like his drumming a lot on the transplants album.

Im sorry but he is using double pedals. In the show i saw him with double pedals, he was using his left foot for the bass, and then his right foot for a small 12 inch hi hat control and the other side. But i do know he had broke his foot. I think what i was tryin to get at is he isnt a stranger to them. He can playh them, and im sure if the style asked for it, he could show us all how good he could be at them!

i don't want to argue, but i think you're wrong. which show did you see him play this way? and if possible post a youtube. now i am aware that he played a letterman show (back with blink) and played the bass with his left foot (b/c of a broken foot) and had a little hihat on the right side.. the song they played was "down"

(keep in mind he may of had a "double pedal" on his kit b/c he needed the left foot versitility (broken right foot) but i doubt he was playing a double kick pedal like your thinking)

Seems like Travis Barker receives many mixed reviews. Well here is my thought i would like to contribute to this discussion... I think Travis is a good technical drummer, as of musicality i think not. His drumming does fit the music, but we tend to forget that what makes a great drummer is to discover new ways of coming up with a beat, its to be an artist... to be creative with it. Now Travis is a good drummer, but he is not great, and could never be compared to a Neil Peart , John Bonham, or Danny Carrey as rock drumming goes. Travis Barker is more of an image rather then a musician, and I dont blame him, because he is makin millions doing what he does ,he gets any freakin girl he wants, and he is also a father, so I think he has many other priorities in life then becoming a better drummer because after all he is good enough for what he wants to do and makes millions doing it and at the end of the day that is what matters.

i don't want to argue, but i think you're wrong. which show did you see him play this way? and if possible post a youtube. now i am aware that he played a letterman show (back with blink) and played the bass with his left foot (b/c of a broken foot) and had a little hihat on the right side.. the song they played was "down"

(keep in mind he may of had a "double pedal" on his kit b/c he needed the left foot versitility (broken right foot) but i doubt he was playing a double kick pedal like your thinking)

hasn't he now gone and broken his arm or summut??

i read in kerrang (not a regular reader) that he has broken his arm and summut bout a tuma???

yea hes broken or fractured his right arm i blieve, but he is still touring with plus44 (playing with one arm).

Back